Dehlin, please go away

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Dehlin, please go away

Post by _Kishkumen »

I understand that this is your perspective, Mayan Elephant. You have a particular negative history with John. I see John as a well-intentioned, raw personality who learned a lot of things the hard way and did so out in public. I may not connect with what this has developed into, but I can't get so terribly vitriolic about it.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Kishkumen wrote:Maybe they hopped on his bandwagon because they found someone who headed a group full of like-minded people. It might have been a completely different person who did what John did. By being out there asking the kinds of questions that were on the minds of many in a way lots of average to bright people could understand and relate to, John was able to connect with a lot of people. They no longer felt like an isolated ward member struggling and suffering in silence.

This is why I feel so connected to John, having listened to his podcasts for several years now.

For me, he was a voice interviewing people who would talk about the issues I was interested in, which basically means anything and everything outside the correlated coffin the LDS Church has built for its members.

John was not always the most able interviewer, but man could he get notables on his program.

John was not always the most-informed person in the room, but there's tons of stuff I don't know, either.

At least John wanted to learn more. And he provided a forum so that I could learn more, too.

For that, I will always be grateful to John Dehlin.

I owe him a lot.

I wish him nothing but the best.

And the Church's disciplinary action against him is disgraceful.

This is not how an institution that claims truth-seeking as a top priority should act.

It is not how an institution that requires absolute honesty from its members should act.

And I am not sure that an institution that acts in such a way is an institution that I want any part of.

All the Best to you, John!

--Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

consiglieri wrote:

All the Best to you, John!

--Consiglieri

John's problem is rather simple: he took sides. An interviewer who claims to represent both Mormons and exmormons, both transitional Mormons and active Mormons cannot begin to take a side in the discussion. He began to favor the critic side just a bit too much. He then organized conferences and chapters that definitely took a side. Thus, his downfall. The man could not separate himself and his personal opinions from his podcasts.
I intend to lay a foundation that will revolutionize the whole world.
Joseph Smith

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

why me wrote:John's problem is rather simple: he took sides. An interviewer who claims to represent both Mormons and exmormons, both transitional Mormons and active Mormons cannot begin to take a side in the discussion. He began to favor the critic side just a bit too much. He then organized conferences and chapters that definitely took a side. Thus, his downfall. The man could not separate himself and his personal opinions from his podcasts.

Spoken from a man who can't make up his mind which side he is on. Choose Catholic or Mormon....or something else but choose or quit being so two-faced and judgemental.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Is there any update on the rescheduling of John's disciplinary court?
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:Is there any update on the rescheduling of John's disciplinary court?

john hasn't told the salt lake tribune, new york times, peggy fletcher stack, the photography blog editor at slate, the herald journal, or the blogger at the tribune that it has been changed from february 8. he has not posted a change to the february 8 date to any of his dozen or so Facebook pages or groups. so i guess it is still on for february 8 but you might want to confirm with peggy fletcher stack.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_Mayan Elephant
_Emeritus

Post by _Mayan Elephant »

Tator wrote:
why me wrote:John's problem is rather simple: he took sides. An interviewer who claims to represent both Mormons and exmormons, both transitional Mormons and active Mormons cannot begin to take a side in the discussion. He began to favor the critic side just a bit too much. He then organized conferences and chapters that definitely took a side. Thus, his downfall. The man could not separate himself and his personal opinions from his podcasts.

Spoken from a man who can't make up his mind which side he is on. Choose Catholic or Mormon....or something else but choose or quit being so two-faced and judgemental.

i don't think changing sides has been john's problem. i do not think having a public journey in and out of the church has been his problem. i think his insatiable appetite for road-kill, and specifically anything killed by a moving bus, has been his problem.

taking sides is one thing, making a public display of tossing anyone he possibly can in front of trains, busses and automobiles - well that hasn't worked out too much. a few examples that come to mind - the north logan stake presidents, the north logan ward where he lives, bishops, jensen, joffrey, rosebud, circling the wagons (this man is not an ally of lgbt people,) the entire Mormon stories communities, nanna P, among others.

there is nothing to apologize for in a journey that crosses in and and out of religions, even the same religions. most of us have crossed in or out at least once.
"Rocks don't speak for themselves" is an unfortunate phrase to use in defense of a book produced by a rock actually 'speaking' for itself... (I have a Question, 5.15.15)
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Mayan Elephant wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:Is there any update on the rescheduling of John's disciplinary court?

john hasn't told the salt lake tribune, new york times, peggy fletcher stack, the photography blog editor at slate, the herald journal, or the blogger at the tribune that it has been changed from february 8. he has not posted a change to the february 8 date to any of his dozen or so Facebook pages or groups. so i guess it is still on for february 8 but you might want to confirm with peggy fletcher stack.

Thanks for the update.

I didn't realize that it had been changed to February 8th. I guess I'm a little behind the times. :redface:

The last I had read, his Stake President's father had passed away, and so the January Church Court had been postponed. I hadn't heard of the reschedule date.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB