Polygamy discussion at babycenter.com

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Polygamy discussion at babycenter.com

Post by _DarkHelmet »

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a5 ... gamy?cpg=1

Seems that there are more TBMs that didn't know about the ugly details of Joseph Smith's polygamy than people like Mak and BC Space would like to admit. Lots of confused women over there. I like this comment, especially the last sentence.

quick ques?
Posted 11/14/2014

I will admit that I have a hard time understanding people who say that they have known about polygamy AND all of its details AND have no problem with it. It's difficult for me. I can remember what it felt like to believe that it was all exaggeration and lies and to buy into the correlated church history, but I am having a hard time imagining knowing what I know now and thinking that is okay. I can see the point that there's not much more to say in the conversation. If you know the facts and you're cool with it, I guess that's great for you.

I, however, feel cheated and betrayed and can't imagine a world in which it is okay to marry people behind your wife's back and lie to her and others at the command of an angel with a flaming sword. I can't imagine a loving Heavenly Father who would want that for his daughters, either. It especially hurts because the church hid this and now everyone is acting as if it is common knowledge.

I wish I had gone beyond correlated materials years ago because it's just that much harder to leave when your kids aren't babies. The grand irony of it all is that I feel like the very moral system and integrity that I got from my upbringing is the same thing that is driving me to leave it behind.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Re: Polygamy discussion at babycenter.com

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

DarkHelmet wrote:http://community.babycenter.com/post/a53525962/all_things_polygamy?cpg=1

Seems that there are more TBMs that didn't know about the ugly details of Joseph Smith's polygamy than people like Mak and BC Space would like to admit. Lots of confused women over there. I like this comment, especially the last sentence.

quick ques?
Posted 11/14/2014

I will admit that I have a hard time understanding people who say that they have known about polygamy AND all of its details AND have no problem with it.....

When I hear people say they have no problem with this, that and the other thing, what I really hear is them saying that being right is so important to them that it is easier to simply accept something like polygamy than to retract their precious testimony of a lie.
The person who is certain and who claims divine warrant for his certainty belongs now to the infancy of our species. Christopher Hitchens

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. Frater