Another raping, murdering pedophile Mormon (allegedly)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Another raping, murdering pedophile Mormon (allegedly)

Post by _Bazooka »

WEST JORDAN — A Utah man accused of raping and killing a 6-year-old girl says the judge in the case is biased and asked the Utah Supreme Court to remove him Monday.

An attorney for Terry Lee Black, 43, told the high court that 3rd District Judge Mark Kouris scolded Black's lawyers for nine minutes last year after they asked for a delay to decide whether Black was mentally competent to stand trial.

"It wasn't pushing back. It was ridiculing, mocking," said attorney Joan Watt.

Prosecutors, though, said Kouris had reason to be exasperated when lawyers asked for the delay just before the preliminary hearing was scheduled to begin, more than a year after the girl's death.

The judge did ultimately agree to put the case on hold, said Gregory Orme, an appeals court judge sitting with the Utah Supreme Court on the case.

"I'm hard-pressed to say where he has bias when ultimately he does what you want," Orme said.

Another justice, though, asked whether the high court should remove judges as a warning not to launch tirades from the bench.

"Reassigning the case may be a good wake-up call for a judge," said Jill Parrish.

Black could face the death penalty if convicted on charges of aggravated murder, child kidnapping and child rape. The case has been on hold since a lower court denied a request for Kouris to be removed last year.

Black is accused of abducting Sierra Newbold from her West Jordan home in June 2012. Police say he beat, raped and strangled the 6-year-old before throwing her in a canal where she drowned. He was arrested three days later, accused of robbing a West Jordan bank using a stolen car. Investigators said Black attended the same ward as the Newbolds in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and his apartment was near the canal where she was found.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... iased.html
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_son of Ishmael
_Emeritus

Re: Another raping, murdering pedophile Mormon (allegedly)

Post by _son of Ishmael »

This is why I sometimes wish there was a God and place like hell.
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

son of Ishmael wrote:This is why I sometimes wish there was a God and place like hell.

This is why I sometimes wish there was a God and a place like heaven.

I'm not suggesting for a second that this played any part in this case, but the risk of this type of incident is why children should not be allowed to become accustomed to trusting adults males in their ward regardless of what calling the adult male holds.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

son of Ishmael wrote:This is why I sometimes wish there was a God and place like hell.

You might want the traditional Christian hell. Mormonism would have a rapist murder going to the telestial kingdom of heaven where he will enjoy an existence said to be much better then we have now.