Does religion breed crazies?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Nomomo
_Emeritus

Re: Does religion breed crazies?

Post by _Nomomo »

Exhibit A: LDS Faqs
I rest my case.
The Universe is stranger than we can imagine.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

honorentheos wrote:I'd still ask that it be refined to acknowledge that we are largely talking about cultural norms and that they are guiding rather than causative.

For example, rather than speak of societal norms broadly, we have to examine behaviors against norms within their own cultures to see truly abnormal behavior. We ought not to shorthand "outside western societal norms" with "outside societal norms" broadly. I'd go so far as to argue that doing so is just another manifestation of the same impulses we are criticizing. Conflict between cultures is a different subject than whether or not religion creates actual aberrant human behaviors independent of the religious culture.

To guide the discussion closer to the OP, we could look at examples from western history like Sir Isaac Newton who was probably as religious, "crazy", and genius as any example we could hold up. What does his life tell us about the OP's question?

The overwhelming amount information available today regarding the validity of science vs. the unfounded belief of religion was not available to Isaac Newton. The science vs religion dichotomy and polarization that we see today simply did not exist as an issue in society in Newton's time. I would therefore suggest that you chose a largely irrelevant example to illustrate your point.

The subject being discussed here (I think) is regarding likely differences in a brain that develops in an environment in which reason, logic, and scientifically sound beliefs are guiding principles - as compared to a brain that develops in an environment in which unfounded belief, irrational ideation, false perceptions of fact and denial of objective reality are the norm.

In any case, I need to catch a plane in a few hours and need to get some sleep, so (as much as I hate doing it) I am going to have to "pull a DCP" and say that I will come back to this thread (if it is still going) when I return to the country.

Thanks for your point of view.

If you have not read it, Ray Kurzweil's 2012 book entitled "How to Create a Mind" is one that might be worth your while.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Does religion breed crazies?

Mercury wrote:Crazies breed religion.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I see it as a mutual attraction. Water seeks its own level, birds of a feather; that sort of thing.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Hi DrW,

DrW wrote:The subject being discussed here (I think) is regarding likely differences in a brain that develops in an environment in which reason, logic, and scientifically sound beliefs are guiding principles - as compared to a brain that develops in an environment in which unfounded belief, irrational ideation, false perceptions of fact and denial of objective reality are the norm.

Perhaps. Or we may be isolating out one form of the later and concluding that anything that does not share the same stylistic form must be the former. in my opinion.

And Newton was crazy in ways that had nothing to do with religion. In some ways, his obsession with alchemy might be seen as a corrupted form of his interest in science. His particular brand of religious belief was not mainstream. He was just wired different.

DrW wrote:If you have not read it, Ray Kurzweil's 2012 book entitled "How to Create a Mind" is one that might be worth your while.
Thanks for the suggestion, looks interesting.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

ludwigm wrote:And the book ends with this:
From too much love of living,
From hope and fear set free,
We thank with brief thanksgiving
_ _ Whatever gods may be
That no man lives for ever;
That dead men rise up never;
That even the weariest river
_ _ Winds somewhere safe to sea.

Then star nor sun shall waken,
_ _ Nor any change of light;
Nor sound of waters shaken,
_ _ Nor any sound or sight;
Nor wintry nor vernal,
Nor days, nor things diurnal;
Only the sleep eternal
_ _ In an eternal night.

You can read it here..
.. or I can send it to You as pdf file.

Ah, Swinburne's Garden of Proserpine. One of my favorites. Thanks for posting.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Maksutov wrote:
ludwigm wrote:And the book ends with this:
From too much love of living,
From hope and fear set free,
We thank with brief thanksgiving
_ _ Whatever gods may be
That no man lives for ever;
That dead men rise up never;
That even the weariest river
_ _ Winds somewhere safe to sea.

Then star nor sun shall waken,
_ _ Nor any change of light;
Nor sound of waters shaken,
_ _ Nor any sound or sight;
Nor wintry nor vernal,
Nor days, nor things diurnal;
Only the sleep eternal
_ _ In an eternal night.

You can read it here..
.. or I can send it to You as pdf file.
Ah, Swinburne's Garden of Proserpine. One of my favorites. Thanks for posting.
You are welcomed in the worldwide literature.
[#img] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ne-ape.jpg[/img]
by the way I've met first time with the name Proserpine as a name of an asteroid... (named after the Roman goddess Proserpina, the daughter of Ceres and the Queen of the Underworld).
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_tld
_Emeritus

Post by _tld »

DrW wrote:
Gave up on that thread, so I missed it. (IMHO, tld can best be described a "refractory".)

Perhaps, but when confronted with overwhelming opposition, it is either that or run (or not engage in the first place). I have done both in the past. This time I decided to stick it out until the bitter end.
:-)
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

The Erotic Apologist wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:I find that the "crazies" are more likely to hate God and any belief in such. There are always exceptions to the rule, but I find that most Christians at least try very hard to say things as honestly as possible without going out of their way to insult people. The "crazies" are the ones who are insulted no mater the subject or how nicely anything is said.

Nipper, in your opinion, is the following an "honest" statement?
It would seem to me that a closet drunk is far more aware of the evils of drinking than any tea toddler. And if you cannot figure out the implications, you many wish to reconsider any assumption that homosexuality has no victims or doesn't affect anyone else...

People fighting addictions would seem to have a better understand of how easily they begin and how hard they are to end... I feel that my above statement eludes to this simple fact. There are always victims where sin abounds. Yes, I feel it is a very honest, subtle, and keen observation. And your point?
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

SteelHead wrote:Crazy... As in believing the voices they hear out of thin air are the voice of god and not a strong indication that they need medical intervention.

If someone believes voices he hears out of thin air, but does not believe the written word, well, that might be really crazy.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

LittleNipper wrote:People fighting addictions would seem to have a better understand of how easily they begin and how hard they are to end... I feel that my above statement eludes to this simple fact. There are always victims where sin abounds. Yes, I feel it is a very honest, subtle, and keen observation. And your point?
No, that's not what your statement "eludes" to. ("Eludes to"? What the heck does "eludes to" mean???) On the contrary, you're saying that people with SSAs victimize others by dint of their sexuality alone. That's neither honest, nor subtle, nor keen. That's just plain dumb, Nipper.
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars