I've Never Had This Question Satisfactorly Answered by a TBM

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Re: I've Never Had This Question Satisfactorly Answered by a

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Lucretia MacEvil wrote: I'm trying to talk specifics here, while you are off in some kind of aerie faerie stratosphere.

My intent in the post was not to delve into specifics. If you've read my posts over time you would more than likely know that I've talked somewhat in detail about many of the issues that are out there. At least to the extent that I feel comfortable doing so with the experience and/or knowledge level that I've had/gained up to this point in my life.

Pushing sixty-one... :eek:

by the way, you really didn't get much into any specifics in your post...

But that's OK. I'm not particularly interested in doing so on this thread anyway.

Regards,
MG

As I recall, the post asks something like can Mormon truth claims be falsified. I take that as individual claims. Since you're not interested in that discussion, fine.
The person who is certain and who claims divine warrant for his certainty belongs now to the infancy of our species. Christopher Hitchens

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. Frater
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

mentalgymnast wrote:
Lucretia MacEvil wrote:Imagine a God who does not punish for nonbelief.

God punishes for non-belief? Within Mormon theology nonbelievers are saved in a kingdom of glory/God. That ain't so bad. :smile:

OTOH, can God magically wave his wand and make someone into something other than what they choose to be and prepare themselves to be? We're independent beings and progress according to our own inclinations and efforts. We are who we are and become what we will become. The question is whether or not non-belief plays any part in that process.

Regards,
MG

Why assume that our will trumps God's will? God is God. If a God is determined to leave no child behind, is not God capable of accomplishing that?
Or said a bit otherwise, is God interested in an individual's personality or preparation, or will he have his creations together again in the unity in which they were created? And can he do this without ever participating in the world at all? Mormonism is so limiting.
The person who is certain and who claims divine warrant for his certainty belongs now to the infancy of our species. Christopher Hitchens

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. Frater
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Lucretia MacEvil wrote:Imagine a God who does not punish for nonbelief.

God punishes for non-belief?

Yep.
Ask anyone who has been excommunicated for apostasy.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Bazooka wrote:
MG: God punishes for non-belief?

Bazooka: Yep.

Would you say that Lavina Fielding Anderson is being punished by God?

Regards,
MG
_suniluni2
_Emeritus

Post by _suniluni2 »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Bazooka wrote:

Regards,
MG

He doesn't seem to be doing her any favors. (with regard to his church)
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

mentalgymnast wrote:
Bazooka wrote:

Regards,
MG

Would you say that excommunications are not done in the name of God?

_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

MG: Would you say that Lavina Fielding Anderson is being punished by God?

1. suniluni2 : He doesn't seem to be doing her any favors. (with regard to his church)

2. L.M. :Would you say that excommunications are not done in the name of God?

In regards to #1 and #2 I wouldn't say that God was necessarily 'punishing' her. And it is also a possibility that God wasn't directly involved in her excommunication. To say that God is directly behind and/or involved in every excommunication that takes place is unlikely...knowing that humans are involved in the process.

Regards,
MG
Last edited by Guest on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

mentalgymnast wrote:
In regards to #1 and #2 I wouldn't say that God was necessarily 'punishing' her. And it is also a possibility that God wasn't directly involved in her excommunication. To say that God is directly behind and/or involved in every excommunication that takes place is unlikely...knowing that humans are involved in the process.

Why would God be behind any excommunications? Seems silly that a supreme being would be concerned about kicking someone out of an earthly organization.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

mentalgymnast wrote:In regards to #1 and #2 I wouldn't say that God was necessarily 'punishing' her. And it is also a possibility that God wasn't directly involved in her excommunication. To say that God is directly behind and/or involved in every excommunication that takes place is unlikely...knowing that humans are involved in the process.

Regards,
MG

You have a way of muddying every issue until nothing has any meaning at all, which I guess is a good strategy for maintaining your beliefs but makes it very difficult to have a discussion.

Apparently, the church is just floundering around directionless in the matter of excommunications as with everything else they do. But that doesn't mean it's not true. :confused:

_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Lucretia MacEvil wrote:
You have a way of muddying every issue until nothing has any meaning at all...

I don't see it that way, but I can imagine how you might. :smile:

Regards,
MG