Some really old crap...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Some really old crap...

Post by _Quasimodo »

New discovery places first inhabitants of the New World at 14,300 years ago.

http://www.voanews.com/content/reu-ancient-oregon-caves/2472274.html

But Jenkins' team used radiocarbon dating to determine that more than 200 samples of human feces collected from the Paisley caves were deposited in the area 14,300 years ago, nearly 1,000 years before the human settlement evidenced in the Clovis era.

I agree that it's sh**ty, but this means a bye-bye to the Book of Mormon.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Re: Some really old crap...

Post by _ludwigm »

Quasimodo wrote:New discovery places first inhabitants of the New World at 14,300 years ago.

http://www.voanews.com/content/reu-ancient-oregon-caves/2472274.html

But Jenkins' team used radiocarbon dating to determine that more than 200 samples of human feces collected from the Paisley caves were deposited in the area 14,300 years ago, nearly 1,000 years before the human settlement evidenced in the Clovis era.

That damned anti-mormons seize all opportunity to throw coprolite unto the church.

I have learned a new word again...
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

ludwigm wrote:
That damned anti-mormons seize all opportunity to throw coprolite unto the church.

I have learned a new word again...

Do you mean coprolite? :biggrin: It's a nicer word for something just as nasty.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I wonder how long before the church quietly removes the timeline from the Book of Mormon?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I wonder how long before the church quietly removes the timeline from the Book of Mormon?

- Doc

Hey, that would solve the problem. "The Prophet Joseph Smith was just off by 10,000 years or so. Anyone could make a small mistake like that. Maybe a scribe misheard it?"

_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

I'll take 22k years old for $500, Alex.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedra_Furada_sites
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

SteelHead wrote:I'll take 22k years old for $500, Alex.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedra_Furada_sites

:lol:

I think that one is still up in the air as far archaeologists are concerned. I would love to think that human habitation in the Americas goes back that far (even farther since this site is in South America), but I don't want to believe it if it's not true.

14,300 is still pretty good.

_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey Q! :smile:

But Jenkins' team used radiocarbon dating to determine that more than 200 samples of human feces collected from the Paisley caves were deposited in the area 14,300 years ago

Sounds like Mr. Paisley spent a lot of his time in his cave reading the sports section.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Quasimodo wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I wonder how long before the church quietly removes the timeline from the Book of Mormon?

- Doc

Hey, that would solve the problem. "The Prophet Joseph Smith was just off by 10,000 years or so. Anyone could make a small mistake like that. Maybe a scribe misheard it?"

Sorry to burst your apologetic bubble....but.....

Christ's appearance in the narrative watermarks the Book of Mormon to a known timeline that cannot be 'out' by the margin it would need to be for Quasi's pooh to be considered 'not damning'.

Nice try boys.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Quasimodo wrote:

Not necessarily. Tests have not ruled out high-gluten flour, which is the prime ingredient in bagels. Find the bagel and you've found the Nephites. Additionally, they need to scour the cave walls for the Reformed Egyptian symbol for toilet paper.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace