Vogel's new video on three witnesses

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dan Vogel
_Emeritus

Vogel's new video on three witnesses

Post by _Dan Vogel »

Since its publication in 1830, the Book of Mormon has been accompanied by the Testimony of Three Witnesses claiming to have seen the an angel with the plates and the Testimony of Eight Witnesses claiming that Joseph Smith showed them the plates, which they were allowed to handle. However, subsequent statements by members of both groups of witnesses indicate that the published Testimonies can be misleading and that using them to recreate the historical events behind them is a mistake. In fact, there is significant evidence that the experiences of the Three Witnesses was more subjective than their published Testimony implies and that the Eight Witnesses’ examination of the plates was not completely natural and physical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-jNV6jN-VQ&list=UUE7-EZ_ANHRkYHv7wCUTt0Q
I do not want you to think that I am very righteous, for I am not.
Joseph Smith (History of the Church 5:401)
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: Vogel's new video on three witnesses

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Thanks, Dan.

That was very interesting. I learned a lot of new information. I plan on watching it again.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Sammy Jankins
_Emeritus

Post by _Sammy Jankins »

Thanks for doing these and making them publically available.
_dblagent007
_Emeritus

Post by _dblagent007 »

I like that you are redoing the Book of Mormon Witnesses videos. I'll put this on my playlist (and wait for the other one to come out).
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

Excellent video Dan. Very informative.
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

Excellent job Dan. I saw several quotes I never heard before. I also liked seeing many photos of the 3 witnesses that I also never saw before. I thought Dan did a very god job of refutting many of the asseertions given in Richard Anderson's book on the witnesses.

Bill
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

I'm looking forward to Why Me's rebuttal......
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_ControlFreak
_Emeritus

Post by _ControlFreak »

Great video Dan. Thanks for all your effort. I enjoyed it.
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

Dan Vogel wrote:Since its publication in 1830, the Book of Mormon has been accompanied by the Testimony of Three Witnesses claiming to have seen the an angel with the plates and the Testimony of Eight Witnesses claiming that Joseph Smith showed them the plates, which they were allowed to handle. However, subsequent statements by members of both groups of witnesses indicate that the published Testimonies can be misleading and that using them to recreate the historical events behind them is a mistake. In fact, there is significant evidence that the experiences of the Three Witnesses was more subjective than their published Testimony implies and that the Eight Witnesses’ examination of the plates was not completely natural and physical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-jNV6jN-VQ&list=UUE7-EZ_ANHRkYHv7wCUTt0Q

Excellent production and points well made. Thank you
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Dan Vogel
_Emeritus

Post by _Dan Vogel »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.
I do not want you to think that I am very righteous, for I am not.
Joseph Smith (History of the Church 5:401)