Post subject: Interpreting the Abraham Facsimiles
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:29 pm 
God

Interpreting the Abraham Facsimiles

By Kerry Muhlestein

Post subject: Re: Interpreting the Abraham Facsimiles
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:36 pm 
God

"plausible" a new word to add the the ever expanding Mormon lexicon of words we use like no one else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:53 pm 
God

Being engaged in what appears to be willful self destruction of any academic credibility, is it plausable that Dr. Muhelstein has any remaining (credibility)?

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:33 pm 
Sunbeam

Quote:
Many people often ask about how Joseph Smith’s explanations of the Facsimiles compares to those of Egyptologists. This is a question worth asking. As with all things regarding history, symbolism, and interpretations, those who want a simple answer will find themselves unsatisfied with an accurate answer.

Check, please.

At least he does everyone the favor of telegraphing right up front that a torrent of nonsense is on its way.

This is indistinguishable from a beauty contestant responding to a trick question about how she wants to change the world. Um...ah...you see...

We desperately need a facepalm emoticon. \O doesn't quite cut it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:14 pm 
Bell Ringer

It's painful reading. I was looking for a paragraph to quote, but each and every paragraph is it's own unique example of balderdash (I can think of other adjectives, most are scatalogical in nature).

Does anyone think that Kerry Muhlestein believes this stuff or does he know that he is lying for the lord?

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:39 pm 
tired, less active investigator

Quasimodo wrote:
It's painful reading. I was looking for a paragraph to quote, but each and every paragraph is it's own unique example of balderdash (I can think of other adjectives, most are scatalogical in nature).

Does anyone think that Kerry Muhlestein believes this stuff or does he know that he is lying for the lord?
Sorry for the digression...
Boulderdash was one of the plays I liked on Commodore machines.

The Muhlestein article is the same category. Only a little less developed than the "Boulderdash" programs (oooohhh... I should use the word application, the word program have had it's day)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:55 pm 
God

Quote:
Even though it is obvious to ask whether or not Joseph Smith’s explanations of the Facsimiles matches with those of Egyptologists, it is not necessarily the right question to ask. For example, as we compare Facsimile One, or any of the Facsimiles, with similar Egyptian vignettes, we may be barking up the wrong tree. What if Abraham’s descendants took Egyptian elements of culture and applied their own meanings to them?

This guy seems hell bent on becoming a laughing stock.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:56 pm 
God

Quasimodo wrote:

I don't think that they really buy into their theories - not Muhlestein, nor Peterson, nor Skousen, nor even some of our local apologists like bcspace. These guys all know, deep down, that Smith has a serious credibility issue and that the evidence fails to support any historical truth to the BofA and BofM. But these gents are also trapped within the momentum and wake of having spent their lives defending the party line even as their stand has been progressively proven more and more indefensible... which is why we see them respond with ever more incredulous 'explanations' over time in an attempt to save face.

At least they've moved beyond relying solely on outright, intentionally-crafted falsehoods (Peterson's 'News from Antiquity') and have become much more amusing and creative with their 'balderdashery'. It certainly keeps things entertaining. : )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:23 am 
2nd Counselor

Reading that article was like stage-diving without an audience..
Its hard for me to understand how someone sober could have composed the article.
At least the title is correct, but there should be quotation marks around the word "interpreting".

Kind regards
Uther

About Joseph Smith.. How do you think his persona was influenced by being the storyteller since childhood? Mastering the art of going pale, changing his voice, and mesmerizing his audience.. How do you think he was influenced by keeping secrets and lying for his wife and the church members for decades?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:19 am 
The Outcast

I'm glad Mormon God is so into mere plausibility, and not probabilities. I'm sure at Judgment Day (if there is such), we can all make plausible arguments to Mormon God for exaltation in the CK. Since Mormon God expects us to stick our necks out on slim plausibility, I'm sure Mormon God will, in fairness, reciprocate and only demand slim plausibility for granting exaltation. Or, is Mormon God one that wreaks of unfairness?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:27 am 
God

:confused: Well, that was cringeworthy to read. How can these guys look at themselves in the mirror when they publish stuff like that? You don't see the brethren trying to defend the facsimile explanations. They follow the principle of its better to remain quiet and nobody will think you're an idiot because others will jump in and play idiot on your behalf.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:59 am 
God

Bazooka wrote:
Quote:
Even though it is obvious to ask whether or not Joseph Smith’s explanations of the Facsimiles matches with those of Egyptologists, it is not necessarily the right question to ask. For example, as we compare Facsimile One, or any of the Facsimiles, with similar Egyptian vignettes, we may be barking up the wrong tree. What if Abraham’s descendants took Egyptian elements of culture and applied their own meanings to them?

This guy seems hell bent on becoming a laughing stock.

Wait, how did "Abraham's descendants" get involved in writing the Book of Abraham?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:17 pm 
God

Well, "by his own hand" can be interpreted as "his" or one of his descendants by proxy. It is like work for the dead; a descendant of Abraham channeled Abraham, Pharaoh king of Egypt, and the king's waiter Shulem, as ressurected beings operating as a committee in the spirit world and wrote the Book of Abraham hidden in the funerary text for some 1st century dead Egyptian named Hor or something. It shows the complexity of the Book of Abraham, lending to its credibility.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:56 pm 
2nd Quorum of Seventy

SteelHead wrote:
Well, "by his own hand" can be interpreted as "his" or one of his descendants by proxy. It is like work for the dead; a descendant of Abraham channeled Abraham, Pharaoh king of Egypt, and the king's waiter Shulem, as ressurected beings operating as a committee in the spirit world and wrote the Book of Abraham hidden in the funerary text for some 1st century dead Egyptian named Hor or something. It shows the complexity of the Book of Abraham, lending to its credibility.

Bloody brilliant! I do believe you've got it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:08 pm 
God

I have a promising career as a mopologist.

~Bill Hamblin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:51 pm 
God

Quote:
By Kerry Muhlestein

As with all things regarding history, symbolism, and interpretations, those who want a simple answer will find themselves unsatisfied with an accurate answer.

I completely disagree....here's a very satisfying simple & accurate answer..."its made-up fiction"

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:03 pm 
Sunbeam

Craig Paxton wrote:
Quote:
By Kerry Muhlestein

As with all things regarding history, symbolism, and interpretations, those who want a simple answer will find themselves unsatisfied with an accurate answer.

I completely disagree....here's a very satisfying simple & accurate answer..."its made-up fiction"

Gillette's greatest trade secret is that they model everything on the proven solidity of Occam's.