It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pseudo-Biblicism article on Wikipedia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:30 pm 
Sunbeam

Hi all,

I'm an amateur when it comes to pseudo-biblicism, but I've been learning a lot through the study of The Late War and other books that my brother and I found through algorithmic analysis last year. I thought it was a shame that this really interesting and relevant-to-Mormonism corner of America's literary history didn't have a spot on Wikipedia. I think many people would be benefitted by having an accurate and concise overview of what it is.

I posted https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudo-Biblicism and the most recent comment from an editor there indicates more citations are needed to verify the article. I admit I'm not an expert in this area. Also, I know it's a pain to edit Wikipedia articles. But is anyone here willing to take a stab at expanding the article (or shrinking, if that's appropriate) so that we can get a good overview for general internet readership? Have you read American Zion? Know of other expert sources for this topic?

Thanks,
Duane

Post subject: Re: Pseudo-Biblicism article on Wikipedia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:17 pm 
God

Hi Duane,

I'm glad to see you created a Wikipedia page for Michael Linning. However, I noticed that his birth and death dates are incorrect. According to my notes, he was born on 24 September 1774 and christened on 4 October 1774 at Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. He died at Chryston Cottage in Cadder Parish, Lanarkshire (near Glasgow) on 17 February 1838 (see The Fife Herald, 1 March 1838, p. 3).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:09 am 
Sunbeam

Thanks, Nevo. I'll take a look. The dates I have are from the History of the Society of Writers. It sounds like your date is more accurate. Do you have a source on the date of birth?

by the way, any other takers on the improve-the-Pseudo-Biblicism-wikipedia-article challenge? From my position, nearly all of you are well qualified!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:31 pm 
God

canadaduane wrote:
Thanks, Nevo. I'll take a look. The dates I have are from the History of the Society of Writers. It sounds like your date is more accurate. Do you have a source on the date of birth?

My source for the birth date is Hew Scott, Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae, vol. 3, page 315. Although the death date is incorrect in that entry (it has 17 November 1838 instead of 17 February 1838), the birth date fits well with the christening date (which comes from the Lesmahagow church records). The History of the Society of Writers shows the correct death date for Linning, but you wrote "1848" instead of "1838." To summarize, Linning's dates should be 24 September 1774—17 February 1838 (not 1775—17 February 1848).

By the way, Linning's main claim to fame during his lifetime was being the Secretary of the Royal Association of Contributors to the National Monument of Scotland. He, in fact, proposed the idea of a national monument at a meeting of the Highland Society in 1816. He was also, as you note, a prominent Edinburgh solicitor—at least until 1834, when he declared bankruptcy (or was declared bankrupt).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:57 pm 
Stake High Council

I dig this stuff. I'd love to see more research on this kind of thing. The Late War research from last year was great.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:59 pm 
Sunbeam

Nevo wrote:
To summarize, Linning's dates should be 24 September 1774—17 February 1838 (not 1775—17 February 1848).

By the way, Linning's main claim to fame during his lifetime was being the Secretary of the Royal Association of Contributors to the National Monument of Scotland. He, in fact, proposed the idea of a national monument at a meeting of the Highland Society in 1816. He was also, as you note, a prominent Edinburgh solicitor—at least until 1834, when he declared bankruptcy (or was declared bankrupt).

Added! Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:49 pm 
Savior (mortal ministry)

Could you contact Eran Shalev for editorial advice on the article?

In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:44 pm 
Sunbeam

Lucy Harris wrote:
Could you contact Eran Shalev for editorial advice on the article?

Not a bad idea... I'll see.