Education week-classes on doubting filled up!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Education week-classes on doubting filled up!

Post by _kairos »

While my wife TBM listened to the likes
of Michael Wilcox , I checked out 4 classes designed to
Give doubters or those members they may know deal with those pesky issues of doctrine and history. Classes were filled but the presentations lacked in how to deal with the issues.
At times class members screamed at the presenters for being wishy washy and asked for specifics on how to
Deal with Book of Abraham, Joseph Smith polygamy. Mostly presenters
Referred all to the new essays on lds.org.
One asshole presenter used mockery to make disbelief in the Book of Mormon
Laughable.
The natives are restless and are leaving the church .

Just sayin
K
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Re: Education week-classes on doubting filled up!

Post by _Tobin »

In your dreams only. There has always been one reasonable response to these questions and that is to speak with God about it. Most of the critics on this forum that were former Mormons failed to do that and that is why they are as they are and kick against the pricks as they do.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

kairos wrote:The natives are restless and are leaving the church.

Oh, I don't know about that. If they're putting forth the effort to actually register and attend a class about such things, then clearly they're looking for reasons to stay, not leave.

Also: When you say the classes are "filled up," are they small side rooms above the Cougar Eat, or are they massive venues like the Marriott Center?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

kairos wrote:While Dear Wife TBM listened to the likes
of Michael Wilcox , I checked out 4 classes designed to
Give doubters or those members they may know deal with those pesky issues of doctrine and history. Classes were filled but the presentations lacked in how to deal with the issues.
At times class members screamed at the presenters for being wishy washy and asked for specifics on how to
Deal with Book of Abraham, Joseph Smith polygamy. Mostly presenters
Referred all to the new essays on lds.org.
One asshole presenter used mockery to make disbelief in the Book of Mormon
Laughable.
The natives are restless and are leaving the church .

Just sayin
K

Have LDS women lost all sense of propriety then, to be screaming at the presenters? And to make fun of those who struggle with disbelief?

Wow.
(Nevo, Jan 23) And the Melchizedek Priesthood may not have been restored until the summer of 1830, several months after the organization of the Church.
_DrDarbyLDS
_Emeritus

Post by _DrDarbyLDS »

A dubious report no doubt.
Anti-Mormonism either has explicitly or implicitly a theory of Mormon identity that is unprincipled in the treatment of that which it scorns with uncompromising assertions” - Dr. Jack Darby 4/10/98
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Ok -back from ed week. doubter issues classes had about 2-400 attendees when i attended.

two days ago prof goodman who says he is on the correlation commitee with bob millet spoke about members being able to ask questions on issues that bother them.
in the middle of his saying asking honest questions is a "right' a young woman interrupted an said her sister went in for the temple recommend interview and told the bishop she had concerns on the chruch's position on women and the priesthood and the result was she did not get the recommend , the bishop "took " away her calling. what was she to do? before he could answer, a woman in the back said "first i would be pissed and head straight for the stake prez. prof goodman said appealing is the right way to go but he caveated it with "we don't know the context or past history of the woman in question " so we should not judge either way.one man then asked rhetorically " is the church becoming like north korea? then another man spoke up and said "as a bishop "our hands are tied in this area".

goodman went on to list 7 or so non-negotiable doctrinal areas- that is those areas
that are eternal, salvific and unaniamous amongst the 15's teaching-all else is negotiable. he said lds.org lists the non-negotiable areas.

at least some of the natives are restless IMHO

k
_NorthboundZax
_Emeritus

Post by _NorthboundZax »

kairos wrote:goodman went on to list 7 or so non-negotiable doctrinal areas- that is those areas
that are eternal, salvific and unaniamous amongst the 15's teaching-all else is negotiable. he said lds.org lists the non-negotiable areas.

Did your wife note the 7 non-negotiable doctrinal areas?
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Tbm wife could care less abt the doctrinal
Issues-she is not hard core like some and definitely feels women could run the church much better than men
Whom she says just don't get it!

But for her to give up mo'ism would require one to wrench her Book of Mormon from her cold hard hands as charlton
Heston would say it.

My sense is that 2 main types of Mormons attend ed week- the stepford men and women who are like zombies lapping up the childlike teachings of the celebrity presenters like Michael Wilcox, David Christiansen ,
Brent top, John by the way, jack Marshall etc.
Others are seeker/doubters - u can sense irritation, anger,
Doubting in their faces- these r usually in class singly as opposed to the hand holding gooey eyed stepford folks.

I still contend the natives r restless.

A final note- the byu universe had an article on interesting facts abt GA's and wrote a sentence abt pukedorf's heroic
Negotions with terrorists- I sent the editor an email to confirm that story but received no reply.

Just sayin I am glad to be out of there!

k
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

The correct approach is to show that at best, criticisms also require faith to believe. Most however fail to take into account all the available data or other plausible conclusions or as we all know, are yellow journalistic in nature.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Another ploy the church is using is to keep as many adult older tbms
As busy as hell with all these non spiritual missions. So they have little time to thk and believe they r the lords anointed as they unpack jam,
Crank out temple names for dead dunking, maintain autos for missions,
Help with software to schedule events in temples and hundreds of other
"keep the church going" menial tasks.
Five couples I met at Ed week were up to their asses in 60 hour work missions for the church- no time to thk or be with family in their golden
Years- just work work work and feel that sweet precious spirit that tells them all is well- what BS!