More Insanity From LDS Astronomer, John Pratt

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Re: More Insanity From LDS Astronomer, John Pratt

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Philo Sofee wrote:Ron Millet in the comments said "It is wonderful to see this new introduction to John Pratt's ancient calendars with new explanations and illustrations of why the periods of the celestial bodies in the solar system did not happen by chance, but were designed. I hope that especially the youth can study this article. In a world of aggressive atheism, This is about as close as is possible of a scientific witness of God and His work." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ron Millett writes for Meridian Magazine and looking at his bio it's safe to say he also believes that Uranus testifies of Christ.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Wonder why Meridian Magazine promotes such kookiness? Do they view it as a vital part of their LDS heritage?

There is so much diversity in my chosen faith tradition!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

moksha wrote:Wonder why Meridian Magazine promotes such kookiness? Do they view it as a vital part of their LDS heritage?

It is precisely for claims and crap like this that I am studying Bayes Theorem so I personally can check on the probabilities of such claims. They WON'T like it is my prediction........ I know my anus doesn't testify of Christ, and I don't think Uranus does either...... :rolleyes: :lol:

Personally, I think it is because the actual and real science simply doesn't support what Mormons wish was true about their views. They therefore are forced to resort to all sorts of uneducated silliness in order to at least keep those who don't learn better in the fold. Anyone who actually does a smidgin of studying can see what is wrong with this kind of material. Actually supported and verified science doesn't help them out, so they go to the fringe where it is safe...... or so they love to pretend.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_cognitiveharmony
_Emeritus

Post by _cognitiveharmony »

Philo Sofee wrote:
moksha wrote:Wonder why Meridian Magazine promotes such kookiness? Do they view it as a vital part of their LDS heritage?

It is precisely for claims and crap like this that I am studying Bayes Theorem so I personally can check on the probabilities of such claims. They WON'T like it is my prediction........ I know my anus doesn't testify of Christ, and I don't think Uranus does either...... :rolleyes: :lol:

Personally, I think it is because the actual and real science simply doesn't support what Mormons wish was true about their views. They therefore are forced to resort to all sorts of uneducated silliness in order to at least keep those who don't learn better in the fold. Anyone who actually does a smidgin of studying can see what is wrong with this kind of material. Actually supported and verified science doesn't help them out, so they go to the fringe where it is safe...... or so they love to pretend.

I think that Mormonism as a religion has always been on the fringe. Their recent attempts to move towards the mainstream have backfired in many ways because of the very elements that you're talking about. The mainstream is shaped in large part by the physical and social sciences of which many of their doctrines and scriptures are diametrically opposed. They simply can't have this both ways. I'm not sure how they can maintain an educated membership and continue to move down this path.