The history of LDS revisionist history?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_sock puppet
_Emeritus

Re: The history of LDS revisionist history?

Post by _sock puppet »

sock puppet wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:Another piece of doctrine and/or teachings to take a look at which have evolved over time is the temple endowment ceremony. The Adam-God theory used to be preached as part of it. Now, huge chunks of the endowment has been removed.

Yes, that is one of the most evolving of LDS teachings, or perhaps one of the most watered down, next only perhaps to the teaching manuals. They keep removing things, not much added.
Jesse Pinkman wrote:There is also the whole business of Joseph Smith originally establishing the RS as a stand alone organization as an equivalent to the Priesthood, and then BY re-organizing it as an auxiliary.

Well, JSJr sort of opened the door to BY relegating the RS to auxillary status. In one of JSJr's last mentions of the RS, it was in a rueful way. On Sunday, May 26, 1844, aboard the Maid of Iowa, as part of his retort to William Law's allegations of adultery JSJr said: "A man asked me whether the commandment was given that a man may have seven wives; and now the new prophet has charged me with adultery. I never had any fuss with these men until that Female Relief Society brought out the paper against adulterers and adulteresses."

As something I think should be worn as a badge of honor, it seems JSJr seemed to be placing part of the blame for the troubles he was facing in the spring of 1844 with William Law at the feet of the RS. BY and others may have thought that JSJr was getting away with his dirty little secrets until the RS paper about adultery came out in March 1844, opening the door for and emboldening William Law et al. to make public what they new of JSJr's affairs, which they published in the one and only issue of the Nauvoo Expositor before in an act of despotic, tyrannical power, JSJr and Hyrum abused their offices as mayor and councilman to violate the constitutionally protected right of a free press. The next domino then was needing to flee to Montrose, Iowa to escape the Hancock County and Illinois state authorities sent to investigate the illegal destruction of the Nauvoo Expositor--followed by the return to Nauvoo, surrendering to state authorities, jailing in Carthage, and the murder by mob later that day. BY and the 12 might have thought the impetus for the first of those dominoes to fall was the RS publishing that paper in March 1844, as to which JSJr himself had said he had no fuss with William Law et al. until the RS issued that paper.

Perhaps BY did not want to be the next prophet to fall as a result of events placed in motion by the RS, better to relegate them to be watched by "the Brethren".

Jesse Pinkman wrote:Interesting. I hadn't thought of that before, but it definitely makes sense.

I find the events of 1/1/1844-6/27/1844 the most interesting in Mormon history, the most telling about who JSJr was--and the 5/26/1844 sermon on the Maid of Iowa to be the windows into his soul, and his explanation of events that eventually culminated in his murder.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Quasimodo wrote:Was the Maid of Iowa a ship or a young lady?
Quasimodo wrote: Flaming swords, or something

Program for alpinists: the youngers climb the Jungfrau, the olders the Gnädige Frau.

[#img] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... massiv.jpg[/img]

FYI a little German-English dictionary:
Jungfrau = vestal, virgin, virgo
gnädige Frau = madam
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

ludwigm wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:Was the Maid of Iowa a ship or a young lady?
Quasimodo wrote: Flaming swords, or something

Program for alpinists: the youngers climb the Jungfrau, the olders the Gnädige Frau.

FYI a little German-English dictionary:
Jungfrau = vestal, virgin, virgo
gnädige Frau = madam
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

When you think about it, the recent spate of essays, undated and anonymous, can be considered an attempt to put in place a revision of history in a way that can be portrayed to future generations as having always been told that way.

The First Vision is an absolute classic case study in the art of historical revisionism.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Bazooka wrote:When you think about it, the recent spate of essays, undated and anonymous, can be considered an attempt to put in place a revision of history in a way that can be portrayed to future generations as having always been told that way.

The First Vision is an absolute classic case study in the art of historical revisionism.

Very true. And The First Vision that is canonized is still what the Church refers to as the "preferred" version....and the one taught by the missionaries.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Craig Paxton »

So I ask the Question: Why did/does the church need a faith promoting revised historical narrative for its foundational stories rather than the unvarnished truth? In other words why wasn’t the truth sufficient for the establishing of Mormonism?

And provide the Answer: It needed “Faith Promoting Foundational Stories®” because the truth didn't promote faith and belief. Mormonism’s story, if told in its raw unvarnished historical context, does not invite faith, it invites skepticism, incredulity and disbelief.

This is one reason that LDS missionaries do not teach truth when seeking converts...as one FAIR apologist once told me..."If we told the truth no one would join the church". Or as Boyd Packer once stated "The truth is not uplifting; it destroys."
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Craig Paxton wrote:So I ask the Question: Why did/does the church need a faith promoting revised historical narrative for its foundational stories rather than the unvarnished truth? In other words why wasn’t the truth sufficient for the establishing of Mormonism?

And provide the Answer: It needed “Faith Promoting Foundational Stories®” because the truth didn't promote faith and belief. Mormonism’s story, if told in its raw unvarnished historical context, does not invite faith, it invites skepticism, incredulity and disbelief.

This is one reason that LDS missionaries do not teach truth when seeking converts...as one FAIR apologist once told me..."If we told the truth no one would join the church". Or as Boyd Packer once stated "The truth is not uplifting; it destroys."

That is still the greatest irony I am trying to get over......... it never ceases to astonish me.....
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Craig Paxton wrote:So I ask the Question: Why did/does the church need a faith promoting revised historical narrative for its foundational stories rather than the unvarnished truth? In other words why wasn’t the truth sufficient for the establishing of Mormonism?

I think when you stop and take the time to give full consideration to Boyd K Packers words - "The truth (about the Church) is not uplifting; it destroys..." the enormity of its condemnation of the Church is staggering.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)