Was Salt Lake Valley rich and fertile or barren desert?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Re: Was Salt Lake Valley rich and fertile or barren desert?

Post by _Tator »

Bazooka wrote:Yahoo Bot seems not to have returned to the thread....

Maybe someone he knows is thinking of England.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Tator wrote:

Maybe someone he knows is thinking of England.

That's wrong/works on several levels!
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Tator wrote:Maybe someone he knows is thinking of England.

Bazooka wrote:That's wrong/works on several levels!

Sorry, I'm in a fowl mood today, I think I'll have chicken for dinner.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Tator wrote:

Tator wrote:Maybe someone he knows is thinking of England.

Bazooka wrote:That's wrong/works on several levels!

Sorry, I'm in a fowl mood today, I think I'll have chicken for dinner.

Now you're just winging it.....
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_rlpmjp
_Emeritus

Post by _rlpmjp »

I also think both are right as when confronting a new situation the optimistic person puts the place/situation in the best light, giving it a chance, but my ancestors wrote similar to Woodruff's 2nd description. Here is a picture by the government of part of the Salt Lake Valley:
http://www.sltrib.com/home/2616073-155/ ... -salt-lake
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

rlpmjp wrote:I also think both are right as when confronting a new situation the optimistic person puts the place/situation in the best light, giving it a chance, but my ancestors wrote similar to Woodruff's 2nd description. Here is a picture by the government of part of the Salt Lake Valley:

Welcome rlpmjp!

Got vowels?
:-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

rlpmjp wrote:I also think both are right as when confronting a new situation the optimistic person puts the place/situation in the best light, giving it a chance, but my ancestors wrote similar to Woodruff's 2nd description. Here is a picture by the government of part of the Salt Lake Valley:

Welcome.

You do realize your picture is from 1925/ The settlers had been there for 70 years already and the valley in 1925 looked nothing like it did in 1855.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_rlpmjp
_Emeritus

Post by _rlpmjp »

Fence Sitter wrote:

Welcome.

You do realize your picture is from 1925/ The settlers had been there for 70 years already and the valley in 1925 looked nothing like it did in 1855.

My point was that even after 70 years, it didn't look that great. Notice the lack of forests (when comparing to east of the Mississippi or much of Europe where my ancestors came from.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Jersey Girl wrote:

Welcome rlpmjp!

Got vowels?
:-)

Maybe he/ she could buy a few.
Welcome rlpmjp. Can we just call you RL?
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Fence Sitter wrote:Welcome.

rlpmjp wrote:My point was that even after 70 years, it didn't look that great. Notice the lack of forests (when comparing to east of the Mississippi or much of Europe where my ancestors came from.

Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by "both sides". This thread dealt with contradicting the common hagiographical notion that Mormon settlers (or invaders if one was a native American living in Utah at the time the Mormons arrived) made the desert bloom. They didn't. The desert parts that were here when they arrived (western sides of the valleys) are still here even today, as they were in your 1925 photo. The fertile grasslands, wetlands and thriving fisheries that existed on the eastern sides of the valleys, that were here when the settlers arrived were destroyed by those same settlers.

So I am not sure what you meant by both sides. The side that claims they made the desert bloom, is just wrong.

Great picture by the way.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."