Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?

Post by _Bazooka »

Dear Angela,

I hate to bring up the modesty “debate” again, but my parents are insisting that my leggings are immodest. My mom claims they’re see-through (they aren’t) and that I’m disrespecting my body by allowing everyone to “see me like that!” People wear leggings all the time. They’re just as tight as skinny jeans, which my mom wears herself! I don’t get what the big deal is. Am I being immodest by wearing leggings? Or is my mom being totally unreasonable?

Thanks,

Leggs

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... odest.html

Angela responds with weasel words...

Dear Leggs,

Modesty is a virtue — not a fashion statement. The important thing is not what you’re wearing, but your attitude. Ask yourself these questions before you do anything, including getting dressed: Are you representing yourself as a child of God? Are you representing yourself as a member of his church? If you can answer these questions positively, then you’re acting with modesty in mind — whether you’re wearing leggings or a poncho.

If you’re looking for specifics, there are guidelines about what to wear and what not to wear in pamphlets like For the Strength of Youth. At the same time, it doesn’t mention everything. That’s why having an attitude of modesty is so important. With an attitude of modesty, you can use your own agency to decide how to dress and behave.

With that said, you’re living under your parents' roof, and they’re paying for 50 percent or more of your living expenses. Therefore, they get a say in what you wear. So, if the rule of the house is no leggings, then no leggings.

Reasonable or not, modest or not.

If it’s any consolation, at least someone cares enough to make sure you’re not wearing see-through pants.

Love,

Angela

Angela, your advice is rubbish.
Here is a quote from the leaflet "For the Strength of Youth" that you link to:
"Immodest clothing is any clothing that is tight, sheer, or revealing in any other manner."

So Angela, your response should have been - Yes, your leggings are immodest.
Stop leading people astray.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Arrakis
_Emeritus

Re: Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?

Post by _Arrakis »

Bazooka wrote:Here is a quote from the leaflet "For the Strength of Youth" that you link to:
"Immodest clothing is any clothing that is tight, sheer, or revealing in any other manner."

Maybe Angela could explain how BYU swimsuits meet the criteria

http://byucougars.com/video/w-swimming-diving/night-men-women-get-win#ooid=ZoMWhkMjobVK3GZVIZcDdobwC762Eq6Q
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

I agree with Angela that if you're living under their roof, obey their rules. It's called respect. Don't know how old this girl is, but if she's an adult, and wants the freedom to be herself, move out of your Mormon parents house.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Bazooka wrote:"Immodest clothing is any clothing that is tight, sheer, or revealing in any other manner."

Would this be immodest?

http://www.screenslam.com/x-men-days-of-future-past-jennifer-lawrence-mystique-on-set/
_beefcalf
_Emeritus

Post by _beefcalf »

The real definition of immodest dress in the LDS church is basically anything that might give one of the brethren wood.
eschew obfuscation

"I'll let you believers in on a little secret: not only is the LDS church not really true, it's obviously not true." -Sethbag
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Dear Angela,

This is for your further use in case there are followup questions concerning leggings.

The church guidance contained in the CHI on leggings is a follows: "Female and transgendered members of the church are NOT to wear leggings if such apparel causes a 60 degree rise in the crotch region of the senior PH leader present . If some question arises,( no pun intended -this is serious business) ,for example at a young adult dance, and the senior priesthood leader present experiences marginal arousal, he will check with at least 2 other PH leaders for verification of the degree of arousal. If the arousal boundary is met , the female member will be asked to leave the premises immediately but to leave her phone number with the PH leader(wink, wink) There will be no option to appeal.
Further, any male seen wearing leggings on church property will be accosted, his recommend immediately confiscated and a church court will be convened at the earliest possible date. If such a male legging wearer causes sexual arousal in the senior PH leader or any PH holder present , those persons will immediately schedule shock treatment therapy at any Church approved facility. "

k