An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Post Reply
User avatar
Everybody Wang Chung
God
Posts: 3943
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:53 pm

An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

In the comments, DCP wrote this diatribe against about MsJack's Salt Lake Tribune OP:

Readers should bear in mind that the rhetoric of Ms. Jeffries's piece is rather disingenuous, or, perhaps more charitable, not well thought-through.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2014/06/the-bishops-letter-to-sister-kelly.html

Of course, in classic DCP form, he never actually addresses why he thinks it's "disingenuous" or "not well thought-through."

I guess we will all have to take DCP's word for it.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

User avatar
Some Schmo
God
Posts: 14896
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:59 am

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by Some Schmo »

*sigh*

Yep, he's a douche bag (not to mention the king of "not well thought-through").
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.

User avatar
Jesse Pinkman
God
Posts: 2693
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by Jesse Pinkman »

I don't see any comments posted after that link. Could the quote you mentioned have been erased? I am accessing this from my phone. I'll try accessing this from my computer later tonight.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MormonDiscussions.com.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MormonDiscussions.com
_________________

User avatar
Res Ipsa
God
Posts: 9847
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by Res Ipsa »

I just checked. It's still there. And it's still dickish. Not sure it's long enough to be a diatribe, though.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

User avatar
DrW
God
Posts: 7222
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by DrW »

DCP wrote: Posted from Miami, Florida.

Doubtless the most significant sentence in his latest blog post.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."

User avatar
Kishkumen
Seedy Academician
Posts: 20970
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:00 pm

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by Kishkumen »

Is every stupid thing Daniel says worth an MormonDiscussions.com thread?

How much time is there in one day anyhow?
“God came to me in a dream last night and showed me the future. He took me to heaven and I saw Donald Trump seated at the right hand of our Lord.” ~ Pat Robertson
“He says he has eyes to see things that are not . . . and that the angel of the Lord . . . has put him in possession of great wealth, gold, silver, precious stones.” ~ Jesse Smith

User avatar
DrW
God
Posts: 7222
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by DrW »

Kishkumen wrote:Is every stupid thing Daniel says worth an MormonDiscussions.com thread?

How much time is there in one day anyhow?

For me there is usually time in the evening after work to catch up on MormonDiscussions.com news, and always time to post a quick expression of support for Ms. Jack.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."

User avatar
Kishkumen
Seedy Academician
Posts: 20970
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:00 pm

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by Kishkumen »

DrW wrote:For me there is usually time in the evening after work to catch up on MormonDiscussions.com news, and always time to post a quick expression of support for Ms. Jack.


I think you missed my failed attempt at humor, DrW.
“God came to me in a dream last night and showed me the future. He took me to heaven and I saw Donald Trump seated at the right hand of our Lord.” ~ Pat Robertson
“He says he has eyes to see things that are not . . . and that the angel of the Lord . . . has put him in possession of great wealth, gold, silver, precious stones.” ~ Jesse Smith

User avatar
Equality
God
Posts: 3362
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:44 am

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by Equality »

I would be ungrateful if I didn't stand and type my support for this DCP thread. I wasn't going to, but then no one else said anything for a while and there was this awkward silence, and my heart started pounding and my palms started sweating, so here I am. With all the Kate and John threads, it just didn't feel like home. I feel much better now.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The LDS church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo

User avatar
DrW
God
Posts: 7222
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by DrW »

Kishkumen wrote:
DrW wrote:For me there is usually time in the evening after work to catch up on MormonDiscussions.com news, and always time to post a quick expression of support for Ms. Jack.


I think you missed my failed attempt at humor, DrW.

No doubt. Not a young as I used to be, Kish. :smile:
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."

User avatar
DrW
God
Posts: 7222
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by DrW »

Equality wrote:I would be ungrateful if I didn't stand and type my support for this DCP thread. I wasn't going to, but then no one else said anything for a while and there was this awkward silence, and my heart started pounding and my palms started sweating, so here I am. With all the Kate and John threads, it just didn't feel like home. I feel much better now.

Okay - now that thar's funny.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."

User avatar
Symmachus
God
Posts: 1428
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by Symmachus »

Readers should bear in mind that the rhetoric of Ms. Jeffries's piece is rather disingenuous, or, perhaps more charitable, not well thought-through.


He's just jealous because Ms. Jeffries can write much, much better than he can, despite the fact that she doesn't have a column in the Deseret Snooze and that she never once met Hugh Nibley or Neal A. Maxwell, nor did she first major in mathematics before majoring in something else, nor is it obvious that she travels to Turkey sometimes and read "Thomas Kuhn in 90 minutes" on the flight over one time. In fact, we don't even know whether or not she wrote this "piece" after going to a movie last friday night or whether she had a later dinner before finding time to write it--that's how disingenuous the rhetoric of the "piece" is.
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie

User avatar
MsJack
θεά
Posts: 4375
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by MsJack »

Symmachus wrote:He's just jealous because Ms. Jeffries can write much, much better than he can, despite the fact that she doesn't have a column in the Deseret Snooze and that she never once met Hugh Nibley or Neal A. Maxwell, nor did she first major in mathematics before majoring in something else, nor is it obvious that she travels to Turkey sometimes and read "Thomas Kuhn in 90 minutes" on the flight over one time. In fact, we don't even know whether or not she wrote this "piece" after going to a movie last friday night or whether she had a later dinner before finding time to write it--that's how disingenuous the rhetoric of the "piece" is.

I wrote it at work on my 30 minute lunch break. Touched it up at work a bit while no one was looking. Sent it off to SLTrib just before leaving work. Got a "we'll take it" about 5 minutes later.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter

User avatar
Res Ipsa
God
Posts: 9847
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by Res Ipsa »

We're not worthy!!!
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

ldsfaqs
God
Posts: 7897
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by ldsfaqs »

If you guys actually read the Excommunication letter it makes clear that the ordain women woman absolutely LIED about having little to no contact with Church leadership concerning what she was doing, that the "court" was a big surprise.

So facinating the anti-mormon mind.... how they condemn truth tellers, but praise proven liars.
"Socialism is Rape and Capitalism is consensual sex" - Ben Shapiro

User avatar
Aoife
Star A
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 12:20 am

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by Aoife »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:In the comments, DCP wrote this diatribe against about MsJack's Salt Lake Tribune OP:

Readers should bear in mind that the rhetoric of Ms. Jeffries's piece is rather disingenuous, or, perhaps more charitable, not well thought-through.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2014/06/the-bishops-letter-to-sister-kelly.html

Of course, in classic DCP form, he never actually addresses why he thinks it's "disingenuous" or "not well thought-through."

I guess we will all have to take DCP's word for it.


Lol. I look forward to his considered analysis. It should be fascinating. I can't see anything to quibble about, but then I'm a feminist apostate, so maybe I'm just blinded by pride and devoid of the spirit.

User avatar
Uther
1st Counselor
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 3:57 am

Re: An Angry, Indignant and Resentful Man Attacks MsJack

Post by Uther »

Reading what DCP writes in the comments section gives me a creepy feeling, like I am peaking into the mind of one of the villains in a Stephen King novel.
The words reek with repressed bitterness and paranoia.

Reading the bizarre comments of his followers reminds me of Alma 37:6-7.
"Alma" speaks to his son "Helaman" about a principle where the Lord uses small and simple things to bring great things to pass, confounding the wise.

I believe one of the reasons why DCP is mingling online with rather bizarre characters like Ray A, Why me, Stephen Smooth etc, besides the obvious fact that they are among the few people that seem to appreciate what he is writing, is because of the principle described in Alma, maby sprinkeled with notions from "the legacy of Joseph Smith jr" about being loyal to those that side with you in a conflict.

While I agree that the "bizarro team" are of intelects on par with the average angry ant village idiot (AAAVI), and reason like "dodos", I cannot observe any confounding of the wise.
Maby the Lord is reserving the confounding for later.
About Joseph Smith.. How do you think his persona was influenced by being the storyteller since childhood? Mastering the art of going pale, changing his voice, and mesmerizing his audience.. How do you think he was influenced by keeping secrets and lying for his wife and the church members for decades?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], It occurs to me . . . and 20 guests