Liberty or License

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Ludd
_Emeritus

Re: Liberty or License

Post by _Ludd »

Analytics wrote:
Ludd wrote:[size=85]by the way: at the risk of once again igniting the Ludd=Schryver firestorm that seems to blow up almost every time I say something here, I would like to encourage all you Wasatch fronters to make the drive to southern Utah for Friday and Saturday's amazing "Groovefest" music festival at the big park in downtown Cedar City.

Schryver is performing there, I take it?

Not to my knowledge. But I also did not see every set over the course of the two day festival. I also don't believe his classical-style piano stuff would have been consistent with the bluegrass/blues/folk/ragtime music that I heard Friday and Saturday. I will say this: it was an AMAZING festival! And VERY well attended. There were, I would estimate, upwards of 25,000 people there last night, of all ages and socioeconomic groups. And the food was also great. I had a GREAT time, and I even managed to make acquaintance of a very nice woman whose company I enjoyed very much. Now I just have to hope the phone number she gave me is real.

Anyway, you who live in Utah should definitely make plans to attend this great music festival next year and into the future. This area really has a lot of good things to offer. I'm glad I moved down here.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Re: Liberty or License

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Great points Kish.

I'd like to mention something that has bothered me lately with all this talk about how the Church is so concerned about the apostate's spiritual well being, and therefore excommunication is a necessary act of love.

If the Church truly believes that holding views contrary to established doctrine is "spiritually harmful," and that excommunication is the first step to a spiritual remedy, then why is it that the Church enforces that first step only after that person shares his/her views with the rest of the flock?

Because it seems to me that if the Church really believed its own justification for excommunications, and if it really cared about individual spirituality, then it would simply ex them for simply holding such views and let the healing process begin from there. But instead we see that it only starts the process when it senses a potential threat to the tribe at large; when the apostate begins to talk about his/her apostate beliefs with others.

This tells me that this is really about protecting the integrity of doctrinal lore (which changes with the wind anyway along with "official" doctrine) and nothing to do with spiritual health of the individual.