Given the Second Anointing in One's Patriarchal Blessing.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Given the Second Anointing in One's Patriarchal Blessing.

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

I know several decades ago, Stake Patriarchs gave all kinds of interesting and unique blessings. It seems like today, PB's have become more correlated and boilerplate.

I've been reading my father's PB lately. It was given to him in 1951. It is very interesting, especially this part:

"Because of thy righteousness and valor in the pre-existence, I seal and bind upon thee eternal life in the highest kingdom of the Celestial Kingdom of our Heavenly Father."

It sure sounds like he was given the Second Anointing in his blessing. I haven't heard of anything like this since.

Anyone else know of anything similar to having one's call and election made sure in their PB?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_GR33N
_Emeritus

Re: Given the Second Anointing in One's Patriarchal Blessing

Post by _GR33N »

If you read further you'll probably find a statement that says the blessing is predicated on faithfulness.
Then saith He to Thomas... be not faithless, but believing. - John 20:27
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

GR33N wrote:If you read further you'll probably find a statement that says the blessing is predicated on faithfulness.

There's not. That's one of the reasons I thought it was so interesting.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
GR33N wrote:If you read further you'll probably find a statement that says the blessing is predicated on faithfulness.

There's not. That's one of the reasons I thought it was so interesting.

Would your Dad (I'm not asking you to reveal in real life details) have been an individual of the seniority or within the circle of a GA that would be liable for selection for a second anointing?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Bazooka wrote:
Would your Dad (I'm not asking you to reveal in real life details) have been an individual of the seniority or within the circle of a GA that would be liable for selection for a second anointing?

Not at the time his he received his PB. Later in life, yes.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Bazooka wrote:

Not at the time his he received his PB. Later in life, yes.

Is your Dad Will Schryver? :biggrin:

I think that being in an ordinary pew Mormon's PB is very unusual, even for the fifties.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

My PB said that I received the 'Calling of the Election' in the pre-existance. Whatever that means.

Bill
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Mormon Think wrote:My PB said that I received the 'Calling of the Election' in the pre-existance. Whatever that means.

Bill

Sounds like you have your golden ticket!

I'm envious. My PB is pretty boilerplate, fill in the blanks.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

Mormon Think wrote:My PB said that I received the 'Calling of the Election' in the pre-existance. Whatever that means.

Bill

Sounds like you have your golden ticket!

I'm envious. My PB is pretty boilerplate, fill in the blanks.

Just like Charlie in Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Actually, my PB is absolutely fantastic compared to most others. It is two full pages of unbelievable promises of wealth, church status, happiness, insights, etc. If only it wasn't from some guy that was just playing fortune teller.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I know several decades ago, Stake Patriarchs gave all kinds of interesting and unique blessings. It seems like today, PB's have become more correlated and boilerplate.

I've been reading my father's PB lately. It was given to him in 1951. It is very interesting, especially this part:

"Because of thy righteousness and valor in the pre-existence, I seal and bind upon thee eternal life in the highest kingdom of the Celestial Kingdom of our Heavenly Father."

It sure sounds like he was given the Second Anointing in his blessing. I haven't heard of anything like this since.

Anyone else know of anything similar to having one's call and election made sure in their PB?

Is your dad still alive? I want to meet him.

This is doctrinally adolescent in the grossest stupidity imaginable.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE