It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: John Dehlin to leave the church?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 pm 
Stake High Council

From RFM board.

Quote:
It looks like JD is considering leaving the Church and is thinking about the potential impact to Mormon Stories if he does. He posted this about an hour ago on his Mormon Stories FB page

"I would love some advice -- especially from those who are (or are willing to become) financial supporters of Mormon Stories.
Being active and in full fellowship with the church (i.e., temple recommend holding, attending meetings weekly, paying tithing, holding a calling, etc.) is not likely going to work for me (as I've mentioned before -- I'm not comfortable supporting the church financially, and they have sent me the message that they don't want me as a vocal semi-believer).
But leaving the church completely has the potential to negatively impact the reach of Mormon Stories podcast, since possibly some TBMs are willing to listen to Mormon Stories because I remain active (I get this feedback from time to time).
In essence, active church participation isn't working for me, but I don't want to harm the good that Mormon Stories can do.
For those of you who are genuine supporters of Mormon Stories...what should I do? I'd love your perspective here...again...especially from those who are financial supporters (and /or have skin in the game regarding the future of Mormon Stories)"

*Disclaimer - this message and all other messages are not about DCP despite his claims to the contrary. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2014/04/i-am-a-rock-i-am-an-island-and-a-rock-feels-no-pain-and-an-island-never-cries.html

Post subject: Re: John Dehlin to leave the church?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:55 pm 
Elder

It was only a matter time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:57 pm 
God

Sanctorian wrote:
From RFM board.

Quote:
It looks like JD is considering leaving the Church and is thinking about the potential impact to Mormon Stories if he does. He posted this about an hour ago on his Mormon Stories FB page

"I would love some advice -- especially from those who are (or are willing to become) financial supporters of Mormon Stories.
Being active and in full fellowship with the church (i.e., temple recommend holding, attending meetings weekly, paying tithing, holding a calling, etc.) is not likely going to work for me (as I've mentioned before -- I'm not comfortable supporting the church financially, and they have sent me the message that they don't want me as a vocal semi-believer).
But leaving the church completely has the potential to negatively impact the reach of Mormon Stories podcast, since possibly some TBMs are willing to listen to Mormon Stories because I remain active (I get this feedback from time to time).
In essence, active church participation isn't working for me, but I don't want to harm the good that Mormon Stories can do.
For those of you who are genuine supporters of Mormon Stories...what should I do? I'd love your perspective here...again...especially from those who are financial supporters (and /or have skin in the game regarding the future of Mormon Stories)"

I think the Oaks talk hit him pretty hard, but it's been coming for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:04 pm 
God

If he leaves Mormon Stories is done, period. It becomes an anti-Mormon rag. Leaving would be r******* and the only purpose is to make a political statement. What for? If people at church are bugging him, then don't attend.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:07 pm 
God

Water Dog wrote:
If he leaves Mormon Stories is done, period. It becomes an anti-Mormon rag. Leaving would be r******* and the only purpose is to make a political statement. What for? If people at church are bugging him, then don't attend.

He's living in a fishbowl, but he chose it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:18 pm 
God

John's problem is that he enjoys the public attention and sycophants. Why ask advice like this on a public forum?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:21 pm 
God

Location: Egbert Bratt Grandin Chair of Textual Criticism at Cassius University
How many times has he decided to leave the church now? 3? 5? 27?

And every time he comes back.

Seriously John, fish or cut bait.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:33 pm 
God

Attention seeker.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:53 pm 
God

Water Dog wrote:

This prediction is about as good as your other one about the church not even showing up to court. More accurately it would see less people who are active members. Maybe more who are not. He does seem to like the attention. If he leaves again I wonder how long before he wants back in.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:03 pm 
God

Themis wrote:
This prediction is about as good as your other one about the church not even showing up to court. More accurately it would see less people who are active members. Maybe more who are not. He does seem to like the attention. If he leaves again I wonder how long before he wants back in.

I'd say my prediction was pretty close. Are you still butthurt about it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:03 pm 
Bell Ringer

Yahoo Bot wrote:
John's problem is that he enjoys the public attention and sycophants. Why ask advice like this on a public forum?

All of us posting on this board and anyone with a blog or website is seeking some sort of attention (even Boris Karloff). I don't see that as a negative.

I'm happy if Dehlin has finally made a choice and is moving the direction that he should have stayed with some time ago. I've always found Mormon Stories interesting and entertaining. I hope things work out for him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:07 pm 
God

Aristotle Smith wrote:
How many times has he decided to leave the church now? 3? 5? 27?

And every time he comes back.

Seriously John, fish or cut bait.

Everyone has their own journey even if it is ambivalent. What motivates John I do not know though I do know he is a decent human being.

I have taken a very very long time to arrive where I am at and I have gone very very slow.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:15 pm 
God

Jason Bourne wrote:
Everyone has their own journey even if it is ambivalent. What motivates John I do not know though I do know he is a decent human being.

I have taken a very very long time to arrive where I am at and I have gone very very slow.

Where are you presently?

And lost in space...and meaning

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:23 pm 
Apostle

Hang on, the problem is that he doesn't want to pay tithing, and that makes him a vocal "semi-believer". He obviously believes in the people and has hope for the future of the church.

I would love for him to present the case that according to the defence in the recent court case, he doesn't have to pay money to be considered a full member. Besides, he is well paying in time and effort spent on his work keeping borderline members in and helping mixed families. He is giving freely to the people, so declaring that he believes he has full tithe status due to giving of his time and professional skills would be quite appropriate, would it not? And quite in line with the original bibllical concept of tithes (assisting the poor), and early church practice (tithing in labor).

He could at least make a point on his way out, and maybe open the conversation about how "voluntary" money donation really is. The fraud case has made it the right time to do this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:40 pm 
God

I can't blame John if he leaves. I think most people would have left long ago if they were subjected to the same treatment by Greg Smith and Daniel C. Peterson. It's a real shame and I know I would not want to be Greg or Dan and have to stand in front of the Savior/Vishnu/Buddha and explain and defend my actions.

In any event, the Church will always owe John (and Dr. Scratch) a huge debt of gratitude for hastening the demise of Daniel C. Peterson and Mopology. Without John and Dr. Scratch, there is a good chance DCP and his angry and bitter cronies would still be entrenched at the Maxwell Institute.

I think John and Dr. Scratch have both laid up enough stores in heaven for many lifetimes. When I think of the work John and Dr. Scratch have done on behalf of the Church, I can't help but think of the words, "well done my good and faithful servants."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:00 pm 
God

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
I can't blame John if he leaves. I think most people would have left long ago if they were subjected to the same treatment by Greg Smith and Daniel C. Peterson. It's a real shame and I know I would not want to be Greg or Dan and have to stand in front of the Savior/Vishnu/Buddha and explain and defend my actions.

In any event, the Church will always owe John (and Dr. Scratch) a huge debt of gratitude for hastening the demise of Daniel C. Peterson and Mopology. Without John and Dr. Scratch, there is a good chance DCP and his angry and bitter cronies would still be entrenched at the Maxwell Institute.

I think John and Dr. Scratch have both laid up enough stores in heaven for many lifetimes. When I think of the work John and Dr. Scratch have done on behalf of the Church, I can't help but think of the words, "well done my good and faithful servants."

You just jumped the shark Everybody Wang Chung.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:04 pm 
God

Aristotle Smith wrote:

I jumped the shark years ago, my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpraJYnbVtE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:05 pm 
God

Deleted double post

Last edited by Jason Bourne on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:08 pm 
God

Mercury wrote:
Where are you presently?

At my desk working but it is time to go home. :smile:

Here is where I am at church wise:

1: Currently no calling.

2: Both SP and bishop know I have do not have a LDS testimony of the founding truth claims and am skeptical about the existence of God and I don't believe any church is the one true church. I have spent time discussing this with both of them.

3: Still attend because my wife would like me to attend. I enjoy my friends through Church as well. My two best friends know where my head is at. My kids do, my dad does and my brothers do as well. Dad is not active and never has been during my life. Older brother active but a skeptic a bit. Younger brother not active. Mom passed away last year. She as not active.

4: Am extremely happy, happier than I even have been except I am working too damn much, and love exploring the beautiful wide world. Am reading more on evolution, other sciences... half way through Guns, Germs and Steel and fascinates. Also reading Dawkins The Greatest Show on Earth.

5: I told bishop I would do a calling that did not require me to teach every Sunday, testify, have leadership, etc. Greeter would be great!

And if Droopy were here he would say in some snarky and pretended pithy way "I saw this coming years ago." Then he would proceed to trash me. Guess he is a prophet! Just doing an end run around the droopster and saving him the trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:22 pm 
God

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Aristotle Smith wrote:

I jumped the shark years ago, my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpraJYnbVtE

I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:18 pm 
the very elect

Jason Bourne wrote:
5: I told bishop I would do a calling that did not require me to teach every Sunday, testify, have leadership, etc. Greeter would be great!

All due respect to you but AYFKM??

Greeting people into an institution that you no longer believe in?

"Hi, Welcome to the biggest lie ever foisted upon mankind! Oh! You are an investigator?? LEAVE WHILE YOU HAVE A CHANCE!!"