Hobby Lobby and Mormon-owned businesses

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kent
_Emeritus

Re: Hobby Lobby and Mormon-owned businesses

Post by _Kent »

If the government loses, and they want to require people to have the coverage (which they didn't before the ACA), they'll just have to figure out another way to supply the coverage, for example by providing riders for policies where the issue arises. No one is going to die because of the Court ruling. If people end up without insurance it will be because the Congress refused to see that they have it.
I see angry people.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Sethbag wrote:I think it is a pandora's box. Given the wide breadth of religious beliefs related to various medical issues, having one's employer-provided health insurance have some arbitrary limitations on what it will cover merely due to the employer's religious preferences should be disconcerting to us all.

Sure, Hobby Lobby doesn't want to have to pay for health insurance that covers contraception because they believe that some contraceptive measures amount to an abortion. Quite a few people will sympathize with that.

I suspect rather fewer will sympathize with a relative dying during surgery because their Jehovah's Witness employer wouldn't cover the necessary blood transfusions, and the patient's family couldn't come up with the cash for them on the spur of the moment.

My personal opinion on this whole matter is that one is free to practice one's religion, as it relates to oneself, all one wants. When one chooses to employ others in a for-profit business venture, however, one should be required to obey the same set of laws that cover every other employer out there. I think it could legitimately be argued whether it's right for the gubment to mandate anything to employers in the first place, but that's a separate discussion. Given that the mandates exist, the question is only whether one's credulity re: the supernatural rightfully gives one a pass on obeying these laws. I can see no good reason why it should.

by the way, perhaps we ought to throw the muslims under the bus again on this one. "Hey you, Christians! Just you wait until your muslim employer's health coverage won't pay for any treatment related to damage caused by consumption of alcohol. You'll wish the gubment would step in and tread on their religious sensibilities then I'd wager."

If the business is Christian Scientist, they may refuse to provide all health insurance, since they teach that illness is illusory.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Kent
_Emeritus

Post by _Kent »

This case won't affect those who choose not to provide insurance. They have to pay a penalty, but it's a lot less than the cost of insurance.
I see angry people.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Kent wrote:This case won't affect those who choose not to provide insurance. They have to pay a penalty, but it's a lot less than the cost of insurance.

I've learned that any time you throw business, religion and government together there can be unintended consequences...but out of chaos comes politics... :eek:
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Water Dog wrote:
Maksutov wrote:
I've learned that any time you throw business, religion and government together there can be unintended consequences...but out of chaos comes politics... :eek:

And thus was modern liberalism born.

Liberalism? Look at both major political parties, dog. They're all pigs at the trough.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Water Dog wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Liberalism? Look at both major political parties, dog. They're all pigs at the trough.

Did I say anything about Republicans or Democrats? Nope. You seem to think Republicans are conservative. I disagree.

This is where we talk about what, the Libertarian Party or the American Independent Party, or the Constitution Party, or...?
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Water Dog wrote:
Maksutov wrote:This is where we talk about what, the Libertarian Party or the American Independent Party, or the Constitution Party, or...?

Is there a Let It Burn or Burn It Down party I can join?

I'll Stand With Rand for now. Revolution inside the GOP is current best hope, but it will almost certainly fail. 3rd Party isn't likely to succeed, but I'd be down.

I found much to like in Ron Paul. They've provided a very valuable input and counter in several areas. I would love to be a Libertarian but I'd have to be a character in a Heinlein novel rather than Ayn Rand's.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Water Dog wrote:Agreed. I can say I like Ron too, his foreign policy stuff resonates with my overseas and military experience. The talk radio conservatives I get into discussions with are always shocked when I tell them how many guys in SOF are huge supporters of Ron. Blows their mind. And then he went all nutty after Chris Kyle got killed and pissed me off for defending him all those times. I agree with probably most of what he says, but he's a bit of a crazy old man. For that 5% that he's crazy, he's really crazy. Most of the die-hard Ronulans are complete wack jobs, 911 truthers and the like. Because of that I can never be associated with the Libertarian Party. And it's a shame, cause we agree on so much.

Truthers are always good for a laugh, like Larouchies and white supremacists.
_palerobber
_Emeritus

Post by _palerobber »

Kent wrote:Birth control as such isn't against Church policy for anyone. I don't think this will be an issue.

wrong. the LDS Church has a policy against providing its employees with health insurance that covers birth control, and they signed an amicus brief siding with Hobby Lobby in this very case.