It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Latest numbers from the Interpreter Foundation
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:52 pm 
Apostle

I regret to report that for the past several weeks Interpreter has been republishing edited versions of blog posts. Jeff Lindsay's book review, published in Interpreter today, is a lightly edited version of a blog post from January. Last week, Interpreter published an edited version of Stephen Smoot's blog review of Gee's Book of Abraham apology.

I am, once again, reminded of a remarkable statement made by the redoubtable Bond James Bond in 2013: "By Jan. 1, 2014 Interpreter will be dead just like Mormon Scholars Testify. Either totally dead or down to token ‘blog’ style postings and re-postings of old/reworked articles (already happening)." As the years pass, Bond seems to me more and more obviously prophetic.

I can report that the Foundation's financial numbers for the first quarter of 2018 are out. The quarter's major expenses: $12,370 for web design, digital publications, and set-up; $14,350 for Critical Text Project Volume III; $2,924.00 for an unidentified media project; and $1,746.17 for technical editing. Total expenses for the quarter were $34,984.44.

Through the first quarter of 2018, the Foundation has spent a total of $157,736.25 on Royal Skousen's Critical Text Project Volume III. To put this figure into more concrete terms, I am reliably informed that $150,000 would enable Cassius University to construct an additional library wing just large enough to hold a complete printed collection of Dr. Peterson's Sic et Non blog comments responding to ”gemli.”

Speaking of Sic et Non, I rate Dr. Peterson's telling of the history of the crusader castle of Shoubak or Shawbak as second only to the Wikipedia entry on "Montreal (Crusader castle)."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:26 pm 
Seedy Academician

I am sorry to hear that Interpreter is recycling blog posts. Maybe it’s time for me to submit something. Fresh blood and all that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:32 pm 
God

Kishkumen wrote:
I am sorry to hear that Interpreter is recycling blog posts. Maybe it’s time for me to submit something. Fresh blood and all that.

Shall we team up and do a double author whammy for them? :wink:

Science is not reliable because it provides certainty. It is reliable because it provides us with the best answers we have at present. And it is reliability we need, not certainty. The most credible answers are the ones given by science, because science is the search for the most credible answers available, not for answers pretending to certainty. Carlo Rovelli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:09 pm 
Seedy Academician

Philo Sofee wrote:

Now there’s an idea!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:29 pm 
God

Kishkumen wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:

Now there’s an idea!

Oh the perniciousness of some of us around here...... we would never pass their "peer review," since I have sincerely powerful doubts our conclusions would match what they wish to brainwash share with their readers.

Science is not reliable because it provides certainty. It is reliable because it provides us with the best answers we have at present. And it is reliability we need, not certainty. The most credible answers are the ones given by science, because science is the search for the most credible answers available, not for answers pretending to certainty. Carlo Rovelli

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:41 pm 
God

Philo Sofee wrote:
Oh the perniciousness of some of us around here...... we would never pass their "peer review," since I have sincerely powerful doubts our conclusions would match what they wish to brainwash share with their readers.

You will never know until you try

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:45 pm 
God

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:

You will never know until you try

Yes, I think I do already know. The results and conclusions based on the evidence Kish and I would use would in no wise be allowed to be published in a pro-Mormon determined context needing brethren approval as the basis for publication. We would be able to cherry pick and choose the evidence and ignore what we find distasteful because it shows Joseph's humanness. This they don't wish to share or know, therefore, we could not possibly get published in their publications because we would be accused of using "anti-Mormon sources" (i.e., sources that disagree with the whitewash the brethren love to present as the God ordained truth). The brethren, as the world now knows, have no interest in actual history in all its nuances, but in "sacred history" which lavished praises on early Mormonism only. This is actual knowledge I possess and thus, it would waste their timer and ours to even attempt a balanced view of things Mormonism. They are not interested in truth, they are interested in testimony.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:53 am 
Stake President

Philo Sofee wrote:
The brethren, as the world now knows, have no interest in actual history in all its nuances, but in "sacred history" which lavished praises on early Mormonism only. This is actual knowledge I possess and thus, it would waste their timer and ours to even attempt a balanced view of things Mormonism. They are not interested in truth, they are interested in testimony.

I would be interested, and I'm sure others would be too, in hearing about some of your experiences of the Interpreter/FARMS publication process from your time as an apologist. You are in the unusual position of being able to lift the veil on how these things work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:01 pm 
Apostle

I am pleased to report that the Interpreter Foundation's financial numbers for the second quarter of 2018 are out. The quarter's major expenses: $13,474 for web design, digital publications, and set-up; $13,350 for Critical Text Project Volume III; and $2,285.97 for technical editing. Total expenses for the quarter were $31,891.73.

Through the second quarter of 2018, the Foundation has spent a total of $171,086.25 on Royal Skousen's Critical Text Project Volume III. To put this figure into more concrete terms, I am reliably informed that $170,000 would fund the creation of a life-size fiberglass sculpture of Bill Maher for installation in Dr. Peterson's second office on campus. This would enable Dr. Peterson to dump bowls of piping-hot Hungarian goulash on Mr. Maher's head whenever he felt the urge--whether at lunchtime or anytime while blogging.

Speaking of the Foundation and money, I regret to report that the Foundation had a rough 2017, financially speaking. Simply put, the Foundation desperately needs funds to do more than they're currently doing, including publishing more books, sponsoring more symposia (featuring non-alternate voices, of course), making more films (e.g., the Foundation could use funds to finish the documentary titled Bill and Dan's Adventures in Anti-Mormon Zombie Hell), producing more radio shows, and holding more annual birthday parties. In 2017, the Foundation took in a mere $134,771 in contributions. That is the lowest level of contributions since 2014. (The Foundation took in $214,047 in 2015 and $157,165 in 2016.) The Foundation earned a mere $6,798 in royalties and subscriptions in 2017. By contrast, the Foundation earned $27,825 in 2014, $8,985 in 2015, and $9,095 in 2016 in the same category.

I simply don't see the same level of enthusiasm and, more importantly, financial support from friends of the Foundation, including the Relief Society sister in Parowan, that I saw just a few years ago. On the brighter side, I am pleased to report that the Foundation recently adopted my recommendation to bring experienced fundraiser Ed Snow on board to turn things around.

Last edited by Tom on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:19 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Mormon Interpreter really does seem to be kind of adrift lately, doesn't it? The organization was founded on the basis of their outrage over getting kicked out of the Maxwell Institute, and though it has taken a while (these guys can really carry a grudge, eh?), the flames of indignation seem to be dying down. Symmachus pointed out on another thread that John Gee has basically thrown in the towel in terms of being a Book of Abraham Mopologist: if he won't respond to Ritner, then what is the point? The Mopologists still have lots of enemies--the "new" Maxwell Institute, Mormon Transhumanists, the Heartland Model people, atheists, ex-Mormons, evangelicals, and so on--but they don't have the same "attack dog" energy that they used to. Remember back in the day, when you'd get an issue of the FARMS Review that contained, like, 5 separate and distinct hit-pieces on Grant Palmer (e.g.)? And I recall an essay in Interpreter not all that long ago where DCP was actually pretending to be on friendly terms with Richard Mouw (someone whom, according to Kevin Graham, DCP privately refers to as an "anti-Mormon").

What I'm getting at here is that the main reason they thrived--objectionable as it may have been--was their viciousness, and they have backed away from that to the extent that they're now hemorrhaging donors. DCP has bragged all along about how much content they've produced, and he carries on endlessly about this stupid weekly publication streak that they've got going. How laughable all of that seems in light of the fact that it's done nothing to boost their number. I wonder: if they concentrated on slamming critics and ridiculing people like Meldrum and the Transhumanists, what would that do for their fundraising numbers?

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:54 pm 
God

Any chance we can start our own Mormon Interpreter but call it something completely different like Mormon Translater? It could be a blog and we can defend the toughest of Mormon issues. I can go first with Polygamy or Kinderhook plates.

2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:12 pm 
Seedy Academician

I was almost moved to subscribe to the Interpreter on account of their new initiative to fight Transhumanism until I discovered that Greg Smith was leading the charge. I’m waiting for Bill and Dan to co-author a 50-page anti-Transhumanist rant. Then I’ll sign up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:34 pm 
God

Unfortuntately, I don't think the Interpreter will survive much longer in its current form.

It's been financially mismanaged from its inception and doesn't seem to have a clear goal or mission statement.

DCP believes the only thing that matters is quantity. He is constantly touting how many articles the Interpreter has published. Tragically, he seems clueless about the importance of quality.

Publishing a large quantity of articles without regard for quality, coupled with DCP's horrendous fund raising ability, has all but assured the Interpreter's demise.

It will be interesting to see who DCP tries to blame for the Interpreter's downfall.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2012

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:20 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Publishing a large quantity of articles without regard for quality, coupled with DCP's horrendous fund raising ability, . . .

Are you sure? I thought fundraising was something he was quite good at.

--kairos, 08-08-2018

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:49 pm 
God

Publishing a large quantity of articles without regard for quality, coupled with DCP's horrendous fund raising ability, . . .

Dr. Shades wrote:

Depends on where you heard it...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:07 am 
Seedy Academician

Dr. Shades wrote:

Maybe Everybody Wang Chung meant “stupendous.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:21 am 
God

Shades,

Here is a thread by Tom which discusses DCP's dismal fundraising: viewtopic.php?t=32947&start=42

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tom wrote:
It appears that Dr. Peterson's "#GivingTuesday Fundraiser for Interpreter Foundation," which launched at the end of November 2017 and ran through the first two weeks of January 2018, came up about $9,000 short of its $15,000 goal.

Tom:

This is remarkable news. Devastating—no doubt about that. I’m sure you recall Dr. Peterson flouting his prowess as a fundraiser in his enraged email to Gerald Bradford after being dismissed from the Review. Indeed, one of Professor Peterson’s most vicious verbal lobs was his threat to steal away donors from the “new” Maxwell Institute. Well, now! Given these latest revelations, it now seems like DCP may have been dismissed because he had lagged behind in his fundraising duties. The FARMS crew were once well-known for their fundraising acumen (recall their “Ziggurat” venture). Could it be that DCP’s “firing” was merely the culmination of a slow decline into decadence and neglect on the part of the Mopologists’ fundraising forces?

Maybe so. I guess the other, rather banal alternative, is simply that Dr. Peterson was simply misrepresenting the extent of his importance. Perhaps one day we’ll know the truth.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2012

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:11 am 
God

So what is the deal with Royal Skousen? It looks like the Interpreter is simply paying him about $13,000 a quarter indefinitely for writing these books.

So what's up? Is the money going to Skousen personally? Or is to pay for research assistants, office space, supplies, miscellaneous expenses? Or is it an advance on the money Skousen is expected to make off of the book that is eventually published?

If I recall, a few years after the drama at the MI, "the Critical Text Project" moved from the MI to BYU Studies, with electronic versions of the books being published by Interpreter Foundation. Based on my not-even-casual observation of these events, I would speculate that the Interpreter agreed to pay Skousen $13,000 a quarter to conduct this research. I would guess that Skousen's salary at BYU had been about $104,000 a year, and that 50% of his work responsibilities consisted of this research.

It would then follow that BYU (through BYU Studies) is allowing Interpreter to have the prestige (and revenue) of being the electronic publisher of these books in exchange for Interpreter picking up 50% of Skousen's salary (i.e. $52,000 a year, or $13,000 a quarter).

Am I in the right direction here? Why did BYU agree to this? Were they about to cut the funding on Skousen because they don't think it is worth it? Or do they appreciate his work, but are glad to let somebody else pick up the tab?

It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:15 am 
Seedy Academician

You will not be surprised to learn that DCP is using our discussion here to elicit donations to the Interpreter Foundation. LOL!

I love it. I hope this is a successful tactic. It has probably proved useful to the Flat Earth Society, or any other organization that thrives on a persecution complex in equal proportion to its wrongheadedness.

And, sincerely, I do wish the Interpreter all the best.

See http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2018/08/were-doomed-2.html

DCP wrote:
I’ve been getting a kick out of the earnest discussions among a handful of pseudonymous critics on a small, extraordinarily nasty, absurdly uniformed, and mostly atheist ex-Mormon message board that — for reasons that a particularly insightful shrink might be able to discern — I enjoy watching.

They’re pretending to lament what they claim are the Interpreter Foundation’s recent financial difficulties — difficulties that I hadn’t noticed, but which they attribute to my ineptitude and to my appalling financial mismanagement (which would, I suppose, account for my failure to notice them!), as well as to my embarrassing inability to generate funding as well as to plunging public interest in what we’re doing — and they’re predicting the Foundation’s imminent demise. Apparently, I’m busily searching right now for a scapegoat on whom to blame the debacle.

This inescapably reminds me of the confident prophecy issued more than five and a half years ago by another pseudonymous critic on that same message board:

“By Jan. 1, 2014 Interpreter will be dead. . . . Either totally dead or down to token ‘blog’ style postings.” (Bond James Bond, 25 January 2013)

His prediction appears to have been mistaken. But I think that sharing these predictions might be an amusing way to greet the guests at our seventh birthday party, which will be held almost precisely a year from now.

I hope I have generated enough clicks on DCP's blog to pay the tip for his next date night restaurant trip with Sister Peterson.

I am happy to admit that we may look "absurdly uniformed" to outsiders. Personally, I think we are wicked cool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 pm 
God

Kishkumen wrote:
You will not be surprised to learn that DCP is using our discussion here to elicit donations to the Interpreter Foundation. LOL!

I love it. I hope this is a successful tactic. It has probably proved useful to the Flat Earth Society, or any other organization that thrives on a persecution complex in equal proportion to its wrongheadedness.

And, sincerely, I do wish the Interpreter all the best.

See http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2018/08/were-doomed-2.html

DCP wrote:
I’ve been getting a kick out of the earnest discussions among a handful of pseudonymous critics on a small, extraordinarily nasty, absurdly uniformed, and mostly atheist ex-Mormon message board that — for reasons that a particularly insightful shrink might be able to discern — I enjoy watching....

:lol: His oversized, ever so important comments always remind me of something I read and have never forgotten from Blair Hodges, when he was ever so politely commenting on one of Peterson's wild exaggerations:
BHodges wrote:
I know there might be a few people eager to turn the circumstances into tabloid fodder....

I always hear that in the voice of Sherlock, as done to exquisite, dismissive perfection by Benedict Cumberbatch.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:04 pm 
God

This is all you need to know about the dire financial condition of the Interpreter and DCP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5zGkqAWsWE

Daniel C. Peterson, 2012

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next