It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Latest numbers from the Interpreter Foundation
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:21 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Tom wrote:
Dr. Midgley expresses a wish at one point that "Danielson" and Horne "were a bit more charitable and wise in their assessments and opinions." He also says that "one must make every effort to understand the opinions of others, as much as possible, as they understand themselves." I am not making this up.

Freakin' WOW.

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:21 pm 
God

Tom wrote:
A few items regarding the Interpreter Foundation:

First, I would like to highlight the little-noticed skirmish between Dr. Midgley and "Glen Danielson" (pen name) and Dennis Horne on the Interpreter's website. (Regrettably, "Peter Pan" from Neville-Neville Land didn't participate.) Dr. Midgley expresses a wish at one point that "Danielson" and Horne "were a bit more charitable and wise in their assessments and opinions." He also says that "one must make every effort to understand the opinions of others, as much as possible, as they understand themselves." I am not making this up.

I notice that the discussion of the work of Jonathan Stapley that prompted this statement is headed by a photograph of a certain Jonaphan-Stapley.

Doesn't the Interpreter pay thousands of dollars for technical editing services?

[yes, I know - even the best of editors misses something from time to time - I just thought that this was particularly eye catching]

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:57 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Tom wrote:
A few items regarding the Interpreter Foundation:

First, I would like to highlight the little-noticed skirmish between Dr. Midgley and "Glen Danielsen" (pen name) and Dennis Horne on the Interpreter's website. (Regrettably, "Peter Pan" from Neville-Neville Land didn't participate.) Dr. Midgley expresses a wish at one point that "Danielsen" and Horne "were a bit more charitable and wise in their assessments and opinions." He also says that "one must make every effort to understand the opinions of others, as much as possible, as they understand themselves." I am not making this up.

Second, Dr. Peterson recently reported that the Foundation has now raised $950,000 of the $1.2 million needed to complete his Battlefield Earth, a.k.a. the Witnesses film. I've heard rumors that the Relief Society sister in Parowan intends to cash out her entire retirement fund--$50,000--to help the project reach a million dollars (which will apparently trigger a pledge by someone or some entity to kick in an additional $200,000).

Third, I am pleased to say that the Foundation, has, at long last, posted its financial summaries for the first and second quarters of 2019.

Highlights of the first quarter: $15,657 for web design, digital publications, and set-up; a record $17,300 for Royal Skousen’s Critical Text Project Volume III; $3,994.73 for technical editing; and $3,021.89 for an unidentified media project. Total expenses for the quarter: $43,269.63.

Highlights of the second quarter: $17,248 for web design, digital publications, and set-up; $15,400 for Royal Skousen’s Critical Text Project Volume III; and $2,100.82 for technical editing. Total expenses for the quarter: $37,402.35.

Through the second quarter of 2019, the Foundation has spent an astonishing $230,239.65 on Skousen's Critical Text Project Volume III (parts 5-7 of which are forthcoming). To put this figure into more concrete terms, I am reliably informed that $230,000 would convince legendary actor John Travolta to play Joseph Smith in Witnesses' "dramatic retelling of the compelling true story of three men who asked God for a witness."

Thank you as always, Tom, for your diligence. The accounting here is confusing. Why does an up-and-running site need to spend $15,657 on "web design, digital publications, and set-up." Wasn't it *already* "set up"? I know you've called for more transparency in the past, and I'd like to join you in that request. That figure for Skousen's work is quite extraordinary. Where does the money go? Straight into Skousen's pocket?

Lol... Please permit me to speculate. What if Interpreter was conceived, at least in part, as a money-making scheme--something that could pay for Dr. Peterson's luxurious summer travel schedule, or that could at least supplement what he does. It is at least conceivable (and again, this is pure speculation) that he could make some quiet arrangement with Skousen whereby they "split the cut." Officially, and on the tax forms, the money goes to Skousen's project, but "under the table," Skousen splits the money with DCP. In other words, Skousen goes and cashes the check and then pays half of it to DCP. To donors, it looks like they are funding Skousen's ridiculous "ghost committee" project, but in reality, they are both cashing in and lining their pockets (well, to be fair: Skousen is apparently still writing something. So the donors *are* getting their money's worth). If this is true, is it unethical? Undoubtedly. What is murkier for me is the legality of such a scenario. I mean, couldn't Skousen say that he was just "giving a donation" to his friend? If you feel like passing a couple thousand bucks to a friend now and then, that's not illegal, is it? I would have to defer to the attorneys on the board on this question, but you do sort of have to wonder....

Whatever the case may be, I am probably wrong about all of this, but it can be amusing sometimes to speculate. I'll just add that greater transparency would make it harder to engage in speculation of this nature.

As for the "Witnesses" project--and "project' is really the correct name for it, this is not a "film" in the normal sense; it's probably more accurate to characterize it as "propaganda"--I'm looking forward to the finished project (if they ever finish it, that is).

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:12 pm 
God

We call that money-laundering here in Soprano Land, Doctor Scratch. :cool:

And speaking of money, I still don't get why Interpreter needs to raise 1.2 million dollars to make a movie that the BYU Religious Education department has already "contracted" to use in their "curriculum," (all Peterson's words)??

If so, then are they giving the movie to BYU for free, thus asking donors to cover BYU"s expenses? If not, where will the money go that BYU pays them for the contract, since the project is already paid for with donations?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:32 am 
Holy Ghost

Doctors Scratch and Lemmie, please note that in his recent post about the project, Dr. Peterson says: “If you feel the urge to contribute to closing that gap, your donation (in any amount, small or large) would be appreciated. Seriously. (Please indicate that you want your donation to go to the Witnesses film, if that is your intention.).”

One of the responders notes that he doesn’t see a way to mark a contribution as intended for the film. Dr. Peterson fails to address this issue in the comments. And this is not the first time someone has raised this issue. We need a completely independent audit of the Foundation’s finances, including with regard to Skousen’s expenses and the film, and a public reporting ASAP. I’ve just advised the Relief Society sister in Parowan not to contribute until we see some transparency. She has agreed to stand down.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:02 am 
God

If any of the Mormon Discussions denizens would like to contribute to the Interpreter here is the link:

https://interpreterfoundation.org/foundation/donate/

Remember, though. There is NO option that designates the funds for the movie, and as Tom noted Mr. Peterson declined to answer the question posited.

- Doc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:38 am 
Holy Ghost

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
If any of the Mormon Discussions denizens would like to contribute to the Interpreter here is the link:

https://interpreterfoundation.org/foundation/donate/

Remember, though. There is NO option that designates the funds for the movie, and as Tom noted Mr. Peterson declined to answer the question posited.

- Doc

Thank you for the link. I was struck by one donor in particular: Kensington Capital Children’s Fund. According to its sponsoring organization, the Fund “is focused on empowering individuals around the world with the ability to become economically self-reliant. Kensington achieves this goal by supporting organizations and efforts related to Health & Well Being, Children & Families, Education and Economic Empowerment.” It’s unclear how the Interpreter Foundation qualifies for a donation.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:22 pm 
God

That's interesting. LDSAgents.com is also a sponsor.

http://ldsagents.com/

lolol you have to check out their scroll.

- Doc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:42 pm 
God

Lemmie wrote:

And speaking of money, I still don't get why Interpreter needs to raise 1.2 million dollars to make a movie that the BYU Religious Education department has already "contracted" to use in their "curriculum," (all Peterson's words)??

If so, then are they giving the movie to BYU for free, thus asking donors to cover BYU"s expenses? If not, where will the money go that BYU pays them for the contract, since the project is already paid for with donations?

To follow up on my previous question, the 3rd quarter expenses have now been posted for the Interpreter foundation, and although about a million dollars was raised for a movie Peterson is having made, a movie that filmed extensively this fall, apparently nothing in this third quarter was spent on that endeavor.

Web design, digital publication and set up was about $18,000, the critical text project was over $16,000, but nothing spent on a “media project” which was the previous category that seemed to be designated for the movie. So far, only about $80,000 has been spent on the “media project”.

So how was all of the Fall filming paid for? What were the million dollars of donations raised for, if not to pay to make the movie?

Maybe Tom can weigh in, in case I am misinterpreting or missing something.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:22 pm 
God

Summoning the individual members of the Ghost Committee costs money. You cannot expect quality results with el cheapo séances.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:57 pm 
God

moksha wrote:
Summoning the individual members of the Ghost Committee costs money. You cannot expect quality results with el cheapo séances.

:lol:

Also expensive is the filming of all those extra stories, unrelated to the witnesses’ testimony of the supposedly golden plates they didn’t actually touch or see, plus their hearsay non-testimony regarding an angel that the majority of the witnesses didn’t actually say they saw or heard, plus their testimony that they were told, second-hand, that the prop that was alluded to was covered with writing in a language they didn’t know existed, that was an actual true historical account. Really. It takes big bucks to film such a whopper.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:55 am 
God

Back in time-this scene needs to be captured in the movie:

Joseph Smith:" Ok Martin if I give you 50% on the Book of Mormon sales,gross, can you say you saw the plates?

MH: "Well see as you put it that way and the farm is hocked up to my ass, I am going to need 75%"- you know i don't lie especially after Jesus told me to watch out for scammers".

Joseph Smith: Ok whatever, get your ass in the woods and pretend to pray!

Joseph Smith: Oliver and David come on over here try these new mushrooms I got at the Palmyra? Vape Store! When you finish go into to the woods and tell me what you see!

Joseph Smith: Smiling like the cat who caught the mouse!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:31 am 
God

Quote:

DanielPeterson Mod Dr. Dre • 9 hours ago

Go back and report to the folks on your board, Substitute DD, that everything is absolutely okay, and that they need not be concerned.

All will be made clear in due course.

Everything, thus far, is going very, very well.

:rolleyes: I’m sure THAT puts the donors of the million dollars at ease. I’m pretty sure I read that Bernie Madoff made the same speech to investors, but thankfully the Interpreter donors aren’t relying on a return on their donations.

Still, a 501(c)3 does have an obligation to tell its donors where their money went.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:49 pm 
Holy Ghost

Lemmie wrote:
Lemmie wrote:

To follow up on my previous question, the 3rd quarter expenses have now been posted for the Interpreter foundation, and although about a million dollars was raised for a movie Peterson is having made, a movie that filmed extensively this fall, apparently nothing in this third quarter was spent on that endeavor.

Web design, digital publication and set up was about $18,000, the critical text project was over $16,000, but nothing spent on a “media project” which was the previous category that seemed to be designated for the movie. So far, only about $80,000 has been spent on the “media project”.

So how was all of the Fall filming paid for? What were the million dollars of donations raised for, if not to pay to make the movie?

Maybe Tom can weigh in, in case I am misinterpreting or missing something.

No, I don’t understand why Interpreter didn't report any expenses for the quarter.

Separately, the proprietor of SeN recently stated that the Interpreter Foundation’s “basic, regular expenses still run approximately $8000 per month, on average,” setting aside expenses for the film project. I’ve reviewed the Interpreter Foundation’s recent expense reports. I don’t find any support for the $8,000 figure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:25 pm 
Holy Ghost

Lemmie wrote:
Lemmie wrote:

Lemmie's post reminds me that I've failed to provide an update on total spending for the Book of Mormon Critical Text Project.

With $16,350 spent on the project in the third quarter of 2019, the Interpreter Foundation has spent at least $246,589.65 on Critical Text Project Volume III (note: parts 5 and 6 are described here). (It appears that Volume III will now have at least 8 parts.) To put this figure into more concrete terms, I am reliably informed that $246,000 would fund the production of Witnesses 2: Electric Boogaloo Ghost Committees, Peep Stones, Rods, Channeling, Divining, and Other Woo.

On a related note, I hope others will join me and Dr. Peterson at Dr. Skousen’s lecture next Wednesday on the history of the Book of Mormon text. I intend to ask Dr. Skousen a question about the Ghost Committee. I hope I can meet Dr. Midgley there as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:11 pm 
God

Questions about the Ghost Committee would be must see t.v.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:59 am 
Seedy Academician

Exiled wrote:
Questions about the Ghost Committee would be must see t.v.

I am always eager for more discussion of the Ghost Committee.

Last edited by Kishkumen on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:48 am 
God

If there's something strange
On your golden plates
Who you gonna call?
Ghost writers!
If the dialect
Doesn't match your dates
Who you gonna call?
Ghost writers!

If you're seeing words
Glowing in your hat
Who you gonna call?
Ghost writers!
An impossible feat
To write prose like that
Who you gonna call?
Ghost writers!

Last edited by Physics Guy on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:52 am 
Seedy Academician

Physics Guy wrote:
If there's something wrong
In your golden plates
Who you gonna call?
Ghost writers!
If the dialect
Doesn't match your dates
Who you gonna call?
Ghost writers!

If you're seeing things
Glowing in your hat
Who you gonna call?
Ghost writers!
An impossible feat
To write prose like that
Who you gonna call?
Ghost writers!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nicely done!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:30 am 
Son of Perdition

Kishkumen wrote:

Nicely done!

LOL!

Here Comes The Book of Abraham Part I, II

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:59 am 
Seedy Academician

Writers in the Sky

A young farm boy went digging treasure on an autumn night
Upon a hill he called Cumorah fearing ghostly fright
When all at once he struck a stone and opened up a box
He saw gold plates a lyin’ there among the dirt and rocks
An angel towered o’er him and said young boy now you read
The plates contain the gospel pure and people have a need
The boy replied dear angel I am not a learned man
The angel said don’t worry, ‘cos the Lord he has a plan

Yippie yi ooh
Yippie yi yay
Ghost writers in the sky

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next