It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lawsuit filed against church for coverup of sex abuse
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:09 am 
God

Lawsuit filed against church for coverup of sex abuse

Quote:
MARTINSBURG - A lawsuit filed in Berkeley County against The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, otherwise known as the Mormon Church, and local church officials accuses church leaders of covering up allegations that the son of local church officials sexually abused 12 children over the course of more than five years.

For your consideration

Post subject: Re: Lawsuit filed against church for coverup of sex abuse
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:44 am 
God

This bit seems interesting...
Quote:
The suit also alleges that the church has continued its cover up, sending emissaries from Salt Lake City, Utah, to Martinsburg to instruct witnesses not to talk with attorneys representing the children suing the church.

In addition, the suit alleges that the church, through its leaders, has tried to intimidate the families of the children suing the church and has allegedly directed fellow church members to try to convince them to abandon their claims "lest they run afoul of church teachings regarding forgiveness," a copy of the suit reads.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:33 am 
God

Bazooka wrote:
This bit seems interesting...
Quote:
The suit also alleges that the church has continued its cover up, sending emissaries from Salt Lake City, Utah, to Martinsburg to instruct witnesses not to talk with attorneys representing the children suing the church.

In addition, the suit alleges that the church, through its leaders, has tried to intimidate the families of the children suing the church and has allegedly directed fellow church members to try to convince them to abandon their claims "lest they run afoul of church teachings regarding forgiveness," a copy of the suit reads.

It should be an interesting court case. If the above claim is true, the church deserves to be punished for such behavior. Severely.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:59 pm 
God

I've always thought the only to way to possibly get at the financial records of the church was through a punitive damages claim. This looks promising as the cover up seems to fit the MO of the church. Could be years from now but maybe we'll get a peek.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:33 pm 
God

If specific Church leaders are found to have been instrumental in the cover up, could they be personally prosecuted?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:36 pm 
the very elect

"By their fruits ye shall know them."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:28 pm 
First Presidency

From my experience in dealing with a TBM child abusing bastard ____, the church leaders INITIALLY took the correct steps and actions in dealing with him. Authorities were contacted, he was removed from the home (he was molesting his daughters), and professional counseling as well as spiritual counseling and the "repentance process" started.

As things progressed, it seemed as if the church leaders were more concerned with the well being of the perverted tithe paying bastard than they were of his victims. They were convinced that since he appeared to be progressing through his repentance and with the assistance of god and the holy spook, he would be O.K. The daughters were not directly told NOT to testify against him, but instead were "counseled" that if they did, that could lead to him serving jail time, possible divorce, financial disaster for the family, and the breaking up of a celestial family unit. Is that what they wanted? Especially since he was so sorry for what he had done and was doing so well in his repentance process. After he moved back in the home, the church leaders did have to slap him on the wrist a little. Instead of being sexually abusive, he was now physically and verbally abusive. Still, he was doing well with the repenting thing, paying his tithing, and I guess physical/verbal abuse was preferable to mounting one of the daughters and ejaculating through his garments on her.

Eventually there was a divorce. The wife chose to take her chances and break up the "celestial family unit" rather than endure more hell on this earth. Her and the kids dumped the church as well. Sadly, not long after, she passed away from cancer. Of her four kids, two were still minors. A vigorous custody battle ensued between the child molesting bastard father and the eldest daughter. Perhaps the most disgusting display I have ever seen came from the local church leaders. They supplied the court with a rousing endorsement for the "now fully repented and recovered" bastard father, and implied that it wasn't HIS actions that turned the kids against him, but instead the influence of their apostate mother. Fortunately, the State of California has psychological testing that far outweighs the bogus "spirit of discernment". Tests showed that he hadn't changed at all. The daughter got custody and eventually a loophole in the law was used resulting in the father serving a minimal sentence for his past deeds. I got to write a letter to his Bishop condemning him for his endorsement, challenging him to allow the "cured" bastard father to babysit HIS kids, and encouraging him to resign and give up the charade of being "led by the spirit".

Perhaps in the lawsuit case mentioned above there are some similarities to what I observed. Perhaps church leaders were so caught up in what they perceive to be the rehabilitating qualities of the repentance process that they were blinded to reality. I believe there are some churches who will not allow child molesters to be members or greatly curtail their access and availability, even having a member shadow them when they are in the building. What is disturbing in the LDS church (unless things have changed in the years I have been away) is that there is no disclosure (except to a select few) that a known child molesting member is in the midst of the rest of the congregation. Hopefully due to the above mentioned lawsuit and the cash the church will eventually shell out, that may change.

I do know that the child molesting bastard I mentioned above is back in full fellowship with the church. For all you church-going TBM's out there who read this board, keep that in mind on Sunday in sacrament meeting when that guy sitting in the row behind you is playing peek-a-boo with your daughter.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:30 pm 
First Presidency

suniluni2 wrote:
I've always thought the only to way to possibly get at the financial records of the church was through a punitive damages claim. This looks promising as the cover up seems to fit the MO of the church. Could be years from now but maybe we'll get a peek.

Not a chance. The church will settle at any cost long before it will allow those financial records out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:34 pm 
First Presidency

Quote:
After learning of the abuse, Jensen's parents allegedly banished him from the family home and made him sleep in the backyard but, at the time, allegedly encouraged church families to use their son as a babysitter, the suit reads.

Hopefully the parents will be made to pay through the nose for this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:33 pm 
Deacon

Church leaders covering-up the sexual sins of their sons? WAAAAAHHHHAAAAAT? Of course this happens all the time. I knew of the son of my Stake President who was screwing all sorts of Mormon and non-Mormon girls. I knew one Mormon gal, a new convert, he screwed. She claimed date-rape. Told her bishop, and the bishop was told "hands off"! Nothing was done. The last I knew of him, he went on a mission, somewhere in Asia I think. Of course, Hinckley covered up the sins of a close male relative of his. Happens all the time. No news here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:45 pm 
Son of Perdition

YEAH! Arrest the First Presidency and throw the bums in jail!

The Mormon church is guilty of helping young boys commit suicide and should be taken down by the law of the land!

Arrest President Monson!

We want action against the crimes committed by the church now!

Paul O

Includes a startling new discovery!

An original and authentic look at Facsimile No. 3 as never seen before.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 pm 
Bishop

I used to post regularly on LDS.net and once had an on-and-off-again conversation during the course of three years with a man whose very young daughter had been molested for, IIRC, seven years by the son of good friends of his in his ward. This father was, understandably devastated, but also completely obtuse.

He also had a bishop who, albeit hard to believe, was even more obtuse. IMO, this bishop exacerbated his daughter's suffering, or, at the very least, did absolutely nothing to alleviate it, which is still horrific. Once the abuse became known, and after the obligatory "repentance period," this bishop basically did NOTHING to ensure this little innocent and wondrous creature felt safe and protected from what had become a monster to her.

If anyone is interested, you can read my post to him about his bishop here. It's a mild condemnation compared to posts on this board, but LDS.net is very pro-LDS, and it took a lot to get me to criticize the Church on that board. Criticizing a bishop meant I was furious and had lost it.

Elphaba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:03 pm 
God

http://blog.kosnoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013-10-24-Jane-Doe-1-et-al-v-LDS-Berkeley-County-West-Virginia-Civil-Action-Number-13-C-656.pdf

Is that the lawsuit?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:24 pm 
God

Jonah wrote:
suniluni2 wrote:

Not a chance. The church will settle at any cost long before it will allow those financial records out.

Yeah, you're probably right. The plaintiff could always hold out though, so there is some chance. I hope it gets that far and that settlement terms are not confidential. Wishful thinking.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:34 pm 
God

Jonah wrote:
suniluni2 wrote:

If any of you have ever read this book you will know there is not a chance the church will let this get to trial.
They will grind down the opposing council and all plaintiffs until they will sign about any settlement offered.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sins-Brother-Curtis-Conviction/dp/B005CDUPXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382927526&sr=8-1&keywords=sins+of+brother+curtis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:20 pm 
God

Willy Law wrote:
If any of you have ever read this book you will know there is not a chance the church will let this get to trial.
They will grind down the opposing council and all plaintiffs until they will sign about any settlement offered.

I don't know, these guys have associated with what seems to be a big DC law firm - Zuckerman Spaeder. It looks like they may be in it for the long haul. And thanks for the reference to that book, I'm going to check it out.

It seems that the Seattle attorneys that handled that Curtis case are on board in this case. That should be invaluable as they've been through the ringer with the church before. No doubt the church will have its own big DC or other big city law firm(s) to fight this out. Exactly what Jesus would do, yes?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:35 pm 
The Outcast

suniluni2 wrote:
Willy Law wrote:

I don't know, these guys have associated with what seems to be a big DC law firm - Zuckerman Spaeder. It looks like they may be in it for the long haul. And thanks for the reference to that book, I'm going to check it out.

It seems that the Seattle attorneys that handled that Curtis case are on board in this case. That should be invaluable as they've been through the ringer with the church before. No doubt the church will have its own big DC or other big city law firm(s) to fight this out. Exactly what Jesus would do, yes?

Doesn't matter what Jesus would do. He couldn't hold his church together the way JSJr did. The question for LDS is what would Big Lawyer himself do?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:15 pm 
God

There is no way on this planet the church will allow the court to see the financial records. They don't pay those lawyers to lose.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:06 am 
God

harmony wrote:
There is no way on this planet the church will allow the court to see the financial records. They don't pay those lawyers to lose.

Actually, they pay those lawyers to ensure the Church loses in secret.

But here's the bigger question that needed answering.
Cases such as the one described in the OP have been coming out of the closet for a number of years - what, specifically, has the Church changed in terms of it's process and protocol's used when selecting (calling) people for leadership and supervisory positions of authority over children and minors?

*spoiler alert*

The answer is - nothing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:18 am 
Bishop

Arrakis wrote:
As someone who was sexually abused as a child myself, that was one of the hardest things I've ever read. Even if the boy is only guilty of what he was convicted of, and the complaint claims much more abuse occurred after that, the sheer insanity of his parents, bishop and stake president is beyond my comprehension. These adults literally placed close to a dozen wondrous little innocent babies in the hands of a monster, KNOWING, but of course dismissing, that he was a monster, and I am dumbfounded. How can that happen today, given the horrors of child abuse have been in the headlines for decades now?

And while this is usually not a popular position, this boy was a child himself when he started abusing, and IMO, this boy's parents, his bishop and his stake president also abused HIM by not contacting the proper authorities the FIRST (or second, or third, or fourth, or . . . ) time they became aware he had abused a child, by not getting him into therapy, by literally abandoning him, and most of all, by not protecting him from himself. This whole sordid story is unbelievably sad and ugly. ____.

I do have a question for the legal eagles here. The complaint lists the church, i.e., "The Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints of Jesus Christ," as one of the defendants, but while it gives a great deal of detail about the other defendant's actions, it gives only a few sentences about the Church's actions itself, and they were very vague.

I was going to write them down, but got so caught up in the document that I forgot, and don't want to go back through it. One I do remember describes when a second bishop was finally made aware of what was going on, he was told by Salt Lake City to just stay out of it, or something to that effect. I am not even sure if that wording is correct, but that was the gist of it.

I see why they want to implicate the Church if it's true higher ups tried to interfere, but the complaint does not go into any specific details about actions taken by anyone in positions above the stake president. So how do they prove the Church, itself, should be sued? They are requesting a jury trial, so are they just hanging on to information about that until the trial?

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance,
Elphaba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:43 am 
Son of Perdition

Please allow me to add a few thoughts from a cool level headed person such as myself.

I'm convinced that the LDS church on many levels over the course of many years is guilty of all kinds of cover up stories over the course of several generations. Surely there have been countless bishops, stake presidents, and general authorities who have improperly covered and hid serious legal transgressions against children for the sole purpose of milking the testimony of the offender back to health and protecting the so-called good image of the church which is of greatest importance for the corporation.

So, with that said, I suppose there are many crimes that went unpunished and the church has hid up a lot of dirt over the years, especially back in the days when reporting was more voluntary-like and it was easier to keep things hushes between families and church officers involved. The cult has a way of keeping things private through using the old guilt tool, if you know what I mean.

So, again, the church deserves anything it gets and more. It's been a long time coming but sooner or later it catches up. Karma, baby.

Paul O

Includes a startling new discovery!

An original and authentic look at Facsimile No. 3 as never seen before.