The Shill and the Acronyms. Bump for Z.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: The Shill and the Acronyms. Bump for Z.

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Tana:

I'm just trying to point out that the god of Abraham has established a pattern of providing first-hand demonstrations of his super-natural-ness for his chosen people, every time he restores his gospel. A million people witnessed first hand the parting of the seas, the pillars of fire, manna from heaven, etc. Jesus performed many miracles for the multitudes. Fishes and loaves, walking on water, raising dead people etc. All of these folks have first hand empirical evidence for a testimony starting point. Mormons though, even though they believe god still works in prophets and miracles, are left with a starting point based on the 2nd to 20th hand claims of a few.

Yes, and those few have been found to be lacking in validity at best.... unfortunately for them and the church. My how God has changed his modus operandi...
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Dantana
_Emeritus

Post by _Dantana »

Philo Sofee wrote:Tana:

I'm just trying to point out that the god of Abraham has established a pattern of providing first-hand demonstrations of his super-natural-ness for his chosen people, every time he restores his gospel. A million people witnessed first hand the parting of the seas, the pillars of fire, manna from heaven, etc. Jesus performed many miracles for the multitudes. Fishes and loaves, walking on water, raising dead people etc. All of these folks have first hand empirical evidence for a testimony starting point. Mormons though, even though they believe god still works in prophets and miracles, are left with a starting point based on the 2nd to 20th hand claims of a few.

Yes, and those few have been found to be lacking in validity at best.... unfortunately for them and the church. My how God has changed his modus operandi...

And all it takes is the tiniest amount of detective work (google god) to locate this new starting point.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

um... who is "Z"?
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

zeezrom wrote:um... who is "Z"?

:lol: I, for one, refuse to call zerinus "Z". Trust me old friend, you two have nothing in common.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Quasimodo wrote:...you two have nothing in common.

Except "Z"? :)

How have you been? I'm still a Mormon, technically. But maybe not for long... More importantly, the sun is out today and I picked some flowers.
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

zeezrom wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:...you two have nothing in common.

Except "Z"? :)

How have you been? I'm still a Mormon, technically. But maybe not for long... More importantly, the sun is out today and I picked some flowers.

You have two Z's. I may have to start calling you ZZ. :wink:

We're doing OK. Both my wife's mother and my mother are not doing well, so that is taking up much of our time these days. Other than that, we are good.

Is it true that natives of your part of the world become nervous and confused when the sun is out? I fondly remember picking wild blackberries around there many years ago. I always ate more than I brought home.

I'm glad that you and yours are doing well! It sounds like you are getting a handle on religious issues, as well. All good!
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Quasimodo wrote:Is it true that natives of your part of the world become nervous and confused when the sun is out? I fondly remember picking wild blackberries around there many years ago. I always ate more than I brought home.

I'm glad that you and yours are doing well! It sounds like you are getting a handle on religious issues, as well. All good!

Some call me "ZZ Top" and I like that because it makes me feel posh. ;)

I would say that is definitely true! We get nervous the sun won't last long so if we are indoors when the sun comes out, we start itching to stop whatever we are doing and make excuses to run outside and even feel tempted to rip our shirts off.

Oh the berries.... yes, I have been picking them every summer/fall so we can make pie and jams. Good stuff!

The church... my kids have all learned through trial and error how to deal with the mishies that seem to not give up on us. They look out the window at them and make eye contact then just go about their lives as if they weren't there. Seems like a good way to deal with it to me. My parents just got a mission call to Africa so now everything they say to us kids (especially the apostate 2) starts with "And the Lord Jesus Christ said, blah blah blah..." lol. They used to be fun and talk about interesting things. Maybe 18 months in Africa will help give some perspective on things... idk.

ETA: oh and I'm sorry to hear about your mother and MIL. I do hope it improves for them soon! I'm sure you are doing a very good job at taking care of them though.

The Holy Sacrament.
_zerinus
_Emeritus

Post by _zerinus »

tana wrote:I'm just trying to point out that the god of Abraham has established a pattern of providing first-hand demonstrations of his super-natural-ness for his chosen people, every time he restores his gospel. A million people witnessed first hand the parting of the seas, the pillars of fire, manna from heaven, etc. Jesus performed many miracles for the multitudes. Fishes and loaves, walking on water, raising dead people etc. All of these folks have first hand empirical evidence for a testimony starting point.
Yet they did not believe! In the days of Moses, they many times did not believe. They made the golden calf, or turned around to go back to Egypt! God sent them bread from heaven, and they complained about the bread that it tasted no good! In the days of Jesus too they did not believe. They saw the miracles, but did not believe. To them Jesus said, “But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not” (John 6: 36). To Thomas he said, “because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed” (John 20:29). In our time Jesus has said, “But, behold, faith cometh not by signs, but signs follow those that believe” (D&C 63:9).

Mormons though, even though they believe god still works in prophets and miracles, are left with a starting point based on the 2nd to 20th hand claims of a few.
In Mormonism too we have a sign, but it is a very subtle one. It is called the Book of Mormon! Why is it a sign? Because it is the word of God. It is a miracle from start to finish. But not everyone can see it. Only those can see it who want to see it, whose eyes have been opened to see it. It is designed to gather God’s elect in the last days. It is visible to those who have a predisposition to believe, whose hearts are not hardened, who are open to seeing the things of God.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

In Mormonism too we have a sign, but it is a very subtle one. It is called the Book of Mormon! Why is it a sign? Because it is the word of God. It is a miracle from start to finish. But not everyone can see it. Only those can see it who want to see it, whose eyes have been opened to see it. It is designed to gather God’s elect in the last days. It is visible to those who have a predisposition to believe, whose hearts are not hardened, who are open to seeing the things of God.

it's visible only to those who have been brainwashed since birth, the rest of the world looks with eye askance.

For someone who requires an "abundance of witnesses" to create his testimony, the abundance of those who know the Book of Mormon is fiction should give you pause.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

In Mormonism too we have a sign, but it is a very subtle one. It is called the Book of Mormon! Why is it a sign? Because it is the word of God. It is a miracle from start to finish.

Uh, no it's not some "miracle", it is just 19th century fiction penned by a kid with an overactive imagination. Something done by many before and after him. This is the only "miracle" that desperation can produce. And that says it all. Notice that when it comes to any real miracles, like raising the dead, or healing the blind or deaf, Mormon "authorities" come up empty. As they forever will.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.