Church paving the way for a reintroduction of polygamy?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Post Reply
User avatar
Bazooka
God
Posts: 10719
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:36 pm

Church paving the way for a reintroduction of polygamy?

Post by Bazooka »

An author and conservative political activist who grew up in the Mormon Church says she believes the recent tolerance of homosexual sin by the church is part of its plan to bring back polygamy.

Tricia Erickson, whose father was a Mormon bishop, says the ultimate goal of the church is to embrace homosexuality in order to justify a future call for the re-establishment of polygamy as "prophesized" by early church leader Brigham Young.

"What he said was that the Lord told him that he would remove polygamy for a time,” says Erickson, “but at a time he would bring polygamy back to the Mormon Church."

http://www.onenewsnow.com/politics-govt ... d6b0xafd1M

Thoughts?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)

User avatar
DrW
God
Posts: 7222
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: Church paving the way for a reintroduction of polygamy?

Post by DrW »

Bazooka wrote:
An author and conservative political activist who grew up in the Mormon Church says she believes the recent tolerance of homosexual sin by the church is part of its plan to bring back polygamy.

Tricia Erickson, whose father was a Mormon bishop, says the ultimate goal of the church is to embrace homosexuality in order to justify a future call for the re-establishment of polygamy as "prophesized" by early church leader Brigham Young.

"What he said was that the Lord told him that he would remove polygamy for a time,” says Erickson, “but at a time he would bring polygamy back to the Mormon Church."

http://www.onenewsnow.com/politics-govt ... d6b0xafd1M

Thoughts?

The human brain is a natural born pattern seeker. When left to their own devices, without the discipline of logic or critical thinking, human brains get busy piecing together the input they receive to form a narrative that is consistent with what they already see as important from among all the bits of information stored in memory. The undisciplined / immature brain can come up with some pretty weird stuff.

This is because irrationality begets irrationality and poor decisions build one upon the other. To arrive at this brilliant insight, this poor woman must first believe the Joseph Smith story and then believe that a scoundrel like Brigham Young would be called by the anthropomorphic Elohim to be a prophet. She must further believe that the LDS Church leaders who warn against such sins a multiple ear piercings would ever approve multiple wives, thereby confirming that they actually believed Joseph Smith's polygamy justification in the first place.

This is a great example of the kind of irrational perception turned belief that many (if not most) TBM brains (or fundamental religionist brains in general) are all too capable of generating.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."

User avatar
Natsunekko
Star B
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:57 am

Re: Church paving the way for a reintroduction of polygamy?

Post by Natsunekko »

It has nothing to do with polygamy. If the Church ever "embraces homosexuality" it'll be because of a class action lawsuit, or because the government threatens to revoke its tax exempt status.

User avatar
Bob Loblaw
God
Posts: 3323
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Church paving the way for a reintroduction of polygamy?

Post by Bob Loblaw »

DrW wrote:The human brain is a natural born pattern seeker. When left to their own devices, without the discipline of logic or critical thinking, human brains get busy piecing together the input they receive to form a narrative that is consistent with what they already see as important from among all the bits of information stored in memory. The undisciplined / immature brain can come up with some pretty weird stuff.


See the Apocalrock.

As humans, we don't like randomness. We want everything to make sense and fit into a neat narrative. Conspiracy theories arise because we don't like the implications of random actions causing great turmoil in the world; there has to be something behind it. Believing in randomness and chance is scary.

A good example is the JFK assassination. Conspiracy theories have flourished mostly because it scares us to death to accept that a single nutjob who happened to be in the wrong place could affect the course of history so much.
"It doesn't seem fair, does it Norm--that I should have so much knowledge when there are people in the world that have to go to bed stupid every night." -- Clifford C. Clavin, USPS

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado

User avatar
bcspace
God
Posts: 18536
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: Church paving the way for a reintroduction of polygamy?

Post by bcspace »

Thoughts?


Depends on whether or not that's what God wants to do.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

User avatar
Nightlion
World's Top Zion Scientist
Posts: 9899
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Re: Church paving the way for a reintroduction of polygamy?

Post by Nightlion »

Bob Loblaw wrote:
DrW wrote:The human brain is a natural born pattern seeker. When left to their own devices, without the discipline of logic or critical thinking, human brains get busy piecing together the input they receive to form a narrative that is consistent with what they already see as important from among all the bits of information stored in memory. The undisciplined / immature brain can come up with some pretty weird stuff.


See the Apocalrock.

I call. See this
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE

User avatar
DarkHelmet
God
Posts: 5422
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:38 pm

Re: Church paving the way for a reintroduction of polygamy?

Post by DarkHelmet »

No way the church brings back polygamy. They've been trying to distance themselves from that disastrous doctrine for over 100 years. PR drives church policy, and unless polygamy becomes trendy among non-mormons, I don't see the mainstream Salt Lake City branch of Mormonism ever bringing it back.
Last edited by DarkHelmet on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775

User avatar
rallychild
CTR A
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Church paving the way for a reintroduction of polygamy?

Post by rallychild »

I highly doubt the church will ever reestablish polygamy as a practice. There would be a gigantic decline in numbers if that ever happened, and lord knows how much tithing money that would cost them!

Hasa Diga Eebowai
God
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:57 am

Post by Hasa Diga Eebowai »

-
Last edited by Hasa Diga Eebowai on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bazooka
God
Posts: 10719
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: Church paving the way for a reintroduction of polygamy?

Post by Bazooka »

It would solve the 'single sister' problem that the Church currently has.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)

Hasa Diga Eebowai
God
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:57 am

Post by Hasa Diga Eebowai »

-
Last edited by Hasa Diga Eebowai on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bazooka
God
Posts: 10719
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: Church paving the way for a reintroduction of polygamy?

Post by Bazooka »

Hasa Diga Eebowai wrote:
Bazooka wrote:It would solve the 'single sister' problem that the Church currently has.


I think a large number of those 'single sisters' would rather up and leave than become plural wives though. I wonder how many would actually want to marry the prophet Tommy though?

Image

Thanks,

Hasa Diga Eebowai


In this picture he looks like he's crunching a big one out....
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)

Hasa Diga Eebowai
God
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:57 am

Post by Hasa Diga Eebowai »

-
Last edited by Hasa Diga Eebowai on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ludwigm
tired, less active investigator
Posts: 10158
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:07 am

Re: Church paving the way for a reintroduction of polygamy?

Post by ludwigm »

Please don't think about Thomas S. Monson categories!

I know a dozen member (widow and/or spinster) who would marry me
- if the polygamy would restored
- and IF I were a member

OK, I counted them again. They are only 8.
Should I list the names?
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei

User avatar
SteelHead
God
Posts: 8261
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Re: Church paving the way for a reintroduction of polygamy?

Post by SteelHead »

bcspace wrote:
Thoughts?


Depends on whether or not that's what God wants to do.


According to Warren Jeffs the prophet it is what god wants.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 17 guests