Exmos, Critics, Investigators:Lend me your Ears

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Notoriuswun
_Emeritus

Post by _Notoriuswun »

I think that a part of it is wanting to see that your way of thinking is generally acceptable and non-biased. Once you live outside the bubble of Mormonism, this eventually becomes a powerful realization. Then you want to help others who may be questioning their faith to view the world through your eyes...ie become more critical of just about every aspect of not only their religion, but their lives as well. As the saying goes...nature abhors a vacumn. Once you are free of Mormonism, you tend to realize how open and exciting the world can really be. =)
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: Personally

Post by _Mercury »

Bond...James Bond wrote:Me personally:

As a History and Archaeology major I would say I disagree with the historical and archaelogical arguments put forth for the Book of Mormon. I really don't see very much evidence to support the Book of Mormon narrative.

Beyond that I would say the overall social problems caused by large families, tithing, and young parents is something I find to be a volatile combination. Plus the overall authoritarian nature of the religion and the lack of critical thinking and reason used when comparing fact and faith (which could apply to just about any religion I guess.)

Also the idea of a lay priesthood giving advice on subjects that should be in the realm of professional doctors based on faith and feelings is something I find very dangerous.

My sentiments exactly. I remember looking back on my initial shock after I realized the truth. Anger that the bastards could get away with it was the biggest reason I blogged and posted at RFM.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

I am here to shoot the s*** with fellow born again humans.

And of course, to taunt those still trapped in the clutches of the cult who come here to try and defend it.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Polygamy Porter wrote:I am here to shoot the s*** with fellow born again humans.

Shooting the breeze. Ahhh. It rocks, whether online or anywhere else.

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:I am here to shoot the s*** with fellow born again humans.

Shooting the breeze. Ahhh. It rocks, whether online or anywhere else.

Bond

Just because I can say stuff and everyone here is very bright and fun to converse with...and I can provide some comic relief and call myself a SMART BITCH
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Hello everyone, thanks for the responses.

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I'm intensely interested in human evolution in general and religious belief in particular. Due to my personal connection with Mormonism, I am more inclined to be interested in that in specific.

However, I am beginning to doubt there is any value in exbelievers trying to talk with believers. Actually, "beginning" isn't accurate. This is a doubt that has grown for quite a while now and is just about in full bloom.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

beastie wrote:I'm intensely interested in human evolution in general and religious belief in particular. Due to my personal connection with Mormonism, I am more inclined to be interested in that in specific.

However, I am beginning to doubt there is any value in exbelievers trying to talk with believers. Actually, "beginning" isn't accurate. This is a doubt that has grown for quite a while now and is just about in full bloom.

hey beastie,

I often think the same thing. Hardcore people may never be turned, but I think people are in it for that one chance to possibly change someones mind.

Whatever side your on, isn't it great to help someone or provide advice.

Bond