Apology for Daniel C. Peterson's Racist Blog Post

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Apology for Daniel C. Peterson's Racist Blog Post

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Yet once again, it falls on my shoulders to issue an apology. This time I would like to humbly offer an apology to all African Americans on behalf of Daniel C. Peterson.

Recently, Daniel C. Peterson posted a blog in which he stated (among other very offensive things) that he felt the government should not interfer with the free market in regards to racism. If we follow Daniel's silly logic to its conclusion, then he was against the Civil War, the Emanipaction Proclamation and the Civil Rights Movement. Highly offensive and insensitive.

Further, to add insult to injury, if we follow Daniel's logic to its conclusion, he would have no problem with slavery because we all know that slavery can make perfect free market sense.

Another poster remarked today, that he wished his Church leaders had stood with Abraham Lincoln or with the Civil Right's leaders of the 1960's. Instead, they have been largely silent. Now, we have to endure Daniel C. Peterson's highly inappropriate blog.

Slavery and racism that African Americans have endured in our country is so evil and immense that it is literally incomprehensible. I deeply apologize for Daniel C. Peterson's offensive remarks on his blog. He represents a dying breed in our Church and certainly doesn't represent the sentiments of the vast majority of LDS.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

Chap
God

Re: Apology for Daniel C. Peterson's Racist Blog Post

Post by Chap »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote: ...
Further, to add insult to injury, if we follow Daniel's logic to its conclusion, he would have no problem with slavery because we all know that slavery can make perfect free market sense.

Actually, I'm planning to make an offer to BYU to sell me Daniel Peterson. He's a big strong guy, and the money he earned as a tour guide would soon pay back the capital investment. At the moment I don't think they would demand a prohibitive price.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

bcspace
God

Post by bcspace »

Yet once again, it falls on my shoulders to issue an apology. This time I would like to humbly offer an apology to all African Americans on behalf of Daniel C. Peterson.

You yourself violate the principles of the free market by apologizing for someone else.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

Everybody Wang Chung
God

bcspace wrote:

You yourself violate the principles of the free market by apologizing for someone else.

Hello bc,

Obviously, I'm not a 100% supporter of the free market. Especially, in regards to slavery (unlike Daniel C. Peterson).
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

Tchild
God

Post by Tchild »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote: I deeply apologize for Daniel C. Peterson's offensive remarks on his blog. He represents a dying breed in our Church and certainly doesn't represent the sentiments of the vast majority of LDS.

Apology accepted for those rational, equality loving LDS members who silently suffer by the actions of the vocal few jackasses amongst them.

Darth J
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by Darth J »

bcspace wrote:

As an ardent supporter of the free market, I am sure you will agree with me that same-sex marriage should be legally recognized, and then we should let supply and demand dictate the result.

bcspace
God

Post by bcspace »

Obviously, I'm not a 100% supporter of the free market

Yes, you're ultimately opposed to personal responsibility and self-sufficiency. One can't be partial to the free market. It's all or nothing else it's not a free market. The free market is ethically and morally neutral (dovetailing with the Gospel of Jesus Christ as outlined in 2 Nephi 2).
Machina Sublime
A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

Darth J
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by Darth J »

Apparently it has not occurred to Daniel Peterson and his fanboyz that the purpose of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was to allow everyone to participate in the free market, from which they were being artificially excluded.

bcspace wrote: One can't be partial to the free market. It's all or nothing else it's not a free market.

One can't be partial to freedom, period. It's free of seeking to imposing your religious taboos on society, else it's not freedom.

bcspace
God

Post by bcspace »

One can't be partial to the free market. It's all or nothing else it's not a free market.

One can't be partial to freedom, period. It's free of seeking to imposing your religious taboos on society, else it's not freedom.

No, that's anarchy which the Greeks discovered long ago. Someone's values will always be imposed in a free society. The question is which values destroy that freedom and apparently it's not LDS values.
Machina Sublime

Darth J
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by Darth J »

bcspace wrote:
Darth J wrote:

No, that's anarchy which the Greeks discovered long ago. Someone's values will always be imposed in a free society. The question is which values destroy that freedom and apparently it's not LDS values.

Tell me how economic anarchy has worked out through history.

And incidentally, thanks for candidly acknowledging that your dogma cannot stand on its own in the free marketplace of ideas, and thus must be codified and imposed on society.
Last edited by Darth J on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sethbag
God

Post by Sethbag »

I apologize (for myself) for sounding critical, but I think it's in poor taste to attempt to apologize on behalf of someone else, unless that person has authorized you to speak for them.

An apology only has real meaning when it is sincere, and I have yet to see any evidence that Daniel sincerely regrets his words and is interested in apologizing for them. I also highly doubt that Daniel would allow someone else to do the apologizing on his behalf.

Since you aren't Daniel, and you didn't condone or assist in Daniel's words, you can't possibly apologize for them.

The word you are looking for, IMHO, is "denunciation".
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen

SteelHead
God

Post by SteelHead »

Now get the brethren to apologize for 150 years of institutionalized racism and the whole white and delightsome crap and then you will have something.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Sethbag wrote:I apologize (for myself) for sounding critical, but I think it's in poor taste to attempt to apologize on behalf of someone else, unless that person has authorized you to speak

Sethbag,

Please allow me to apologize on my own behalf.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

Sethbag
God

Post by Sethbag »

I accept your apology on behalf of Vladimir Putin. :lol:
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Chap wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung wrote: ...

Actually, I'm planning to make an offer to BYU to sell me Daniel Peterson. He's a big strong guy, and the money he earned as a tour guide would soon pay back the capital investment. At the moment I don't think they would demand a prohibitive price.

Chap,

Call it a hunch, but I don't think owning DCP as a slave would be the best financial move. As Shakespeare once wrote:

He hath eaten me out of house and home, he hath
put all my substance into that fat belly of his.

Henry The Fourth, Part 2 Act 2, scene 1, 74–79

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

Sethbag
God

Post by Sethbag »

I apologize on behalf of William Shakespeare for having penned such blatantly sizist invective.

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Sethbag wrote:I apologize on behalf of William Shakespeare for having penned such blatantly sizist invective.

I accept your apology on behalf of Daniel C. Peterson and his waistline.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

Sethbag
God

Post by Sethbag »

Is it time for the group hug?

Everybody Wang Chung
God

Sethbag wrote:Is it time for the group hug?

I'm down if we can somewhow get Droopy and bcspace involved.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014

Sethbag
God

Post by Sethbag »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sethbag wrote:Is it time for the group hug?

I'm down if we can somewhow get Droopy and bcspace involved.

Having been commissioned by the Google, I hug myself on behalf of myself, and Wang Chung, Droopy, BCSpace, William Shakespeare, Vladimir Putin, and Daniel Peterson, who are absent. Amen.