It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Church responds to apostasy in Sweden - 'The Swedish Rescue'
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:55 pm 
Nursery

Apostasy is running rampant in Sweden with many prominent LDS families and leaders recently leaving the church over historical problems of the church that are becoming well-known there. In order to help these struggling members in Sweden, the LDS Church issued a document to the local leadership called 'The Swedish Rescue'.

These documents are circulating on the Internet on various Swedish Internet groups. A member in Sweden translated it and sent it to MormonThink to share with other members who might find it of interest.

http://www.mormonthink.com/swedish-rescue.htm

Post subject: Re: Church responds to apostasy in Sweden - 'The Swedish Res
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:56 pm 
Classless piece of s***

GOOD GOD! NOT THE SWEDES!

~ Simone de Beauvoir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:02 pm 
Prophet

Interesting stuff...

Quote:
Letter from Church History Department

”The Swedish Rescue” Salt Lake City, January 21, 2012.

I think we all agree that in your efforts to rescue those who are struggling, no ”program” [i.e. The Addiction Program] is needed. Rather, priesthood leaders who hold keys, who are filled with charity, and who seek the guidance of the Spirit, will know in each case how best to proceed.

The following summary of the principles that we discussed during your visit may be helpful to you and local priesthood leaders;

(1) The Church does not hide historical facts. In fact, it makes every effort to be open and honest about its past and current actions.

(2) The internet and digital records now make information about the Church available to many who because of language and other limitations have not previously known of this information. This does not mean that such information was hidden by the Church; it was simply not generally available.

(3) Joseph Smith and the prophets who succeeded him were not wicked or deceiving men. Joseph did not become a ”fallen prophet.” He and all other prophets of this dispensation have human weaknesses. They have often admitted this and the scriptures sometimes confirm that God is not pleased with them. However, they worthily exercised their priesthood keys and led the Church in their time as directed by God through revelation. This is true of President Thomas S. Monson today.

(4) Obtaining or regaining a testimony of Joseph Smith as a prophet of God and of the restoration of the gospel through him is always essentially a spiritual quest. Nephi’s reminder to his older brother of the Lord’s words provides a good description of the path each must walk: ”If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you”, (1 Nephi 15:11).

(5) In working with individual members who are expressing doubts, priesthood leaders should (a) provide the best possible answers to the questions the members are asking, (b) teach the spiritual path each must walk to gain or regain a testimony, helping the members to remember past spiritual witnesses and to avoid contact with evil influences, and (c) emphasize that faith is a conscious choice that each must make.

(6) As guided by the Spirit, the scriptures, and Handbook 1 (section 6.7.3 material on Apostasy), priesthood leaders may need to take disciplinary action with those members who persist in publicly opposing the Church and its leaders after they have been lovingly worked with and corrected by their bishop or higher authority. Alma’s counsel is important in this regard: ”Now repentance could not come unto men except there were a punishment…” (Alma 42:16).

The three-point approach [1. Prevent, 2. Regain and 3. Facts & Answers]… formulated after our meeting may be a very good framework to share with priesthood leaders along with the principles set out above.

I think this sums up the things we agreed to during our meeting. We join our faith and prayers with yours that we can make difference in the lives of those Swedish Saints whose faith is being tested.

May the Lord bless you and your associates there, is our prayer.

Sincerely your brother

Elder Marlin K. Jensen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:05 pm 
Prophet

Also, this:

Quote:
The truthfulness of a story is affected by:

1) a narrators awareness or unawareness to angle information.
2) the time elapsed from the event to the narrative.
3) if the people in the stories are dead - well then you have only left traces that do research in. The truth is difficult to assess.
4) how many points the information passed. It is well known that the information is distorted by number of stages. Think of the outcome of the whispering game.

Rationalization and similar plays many tricks on the memory. As it always is in its own centre, it is common practice to beautify their own role in a process, and present themselves as more central than it actually was.

In a historical and scientific approach is all narrative a result of interpretations and no absolute truth does not exist.

Only the Lord's words to man, through personal revelation, are true. And when you think about them, or bear witness to them interpret even this event, and the story of the personal revelation changed slightly. The cavity is influenced.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:23 pm 
God

This one is priceless:
Quote:
(2) The internet and digital records now make information about the Church available to many who because of language and other limitations have not previously known of this information. This does not mean that such information was hidden by the Church; it was simply not generally available.

We weren't hiding it, we just made it "unavailable".
What a bunch of douche bags. Just when I get calmed down about the church they come up with BS like this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:27 pm 
God

I'm not surprised by the disingenuous contents of the letter.

I am surprised a who sent it. Thought he might be better than that.

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:33 pm 
God

Willy Law wrote:
We weren't hiding it, we just made it "unavailable".
What a bunch of douche bags. Just when I get calmed down about the church they come up with BS like this.

:lol:

The church really is a dishonest organization -- rotten to the core. Everything about Mormonism is based in lies and deception and their people think they are an honest people but they live by double standards in self righteous holier than thou mindsets.

Mormons are liars -- ALL OF THEM! There is not a single honest Mormon alive. They lie and cover up in order to keep their religion alive when really it should be disbanded.

Paul O

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:50 pm 
God

Location: Somewhere on the ocean with know-it-all control freak Nephi
I think it is a positive step by the church to at least acknowledge the issue. Of course they could make it all go away by publicly addressing the major issues and state their official position.

"Thus sayeth the Lord"...

1. Book of Abraham.....

2. Polygamy and Polyandry....

3. etc, etc,etc...

Of course they usually put the blame on God by saying that he has not revealed it to them at this time. God has been very quiet lately. I hope he is feeling well.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:55 pm 
Prophet

Quote:
(1) The Church does not hide historical facts. In fact, it makes every effort to be open and honest about its past and current actions.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

To be fair, the church has opened up more recently, but only because the internet forced them them to do so.

Quote:

Which only reinforces my previous point: the Church is only opening up now (to a limited extent) because the internet has forced them to do so.

Quote:
(3) Joseph Smith and the prophets who succeeded him were not wicked or deceiving men. Joseph did not become a ”fallen prophet.” He and all other prophets of this dispensation have human weaknesses. They have often admitted this and the scriptures sometimes confirm that God is not pleased with them. However, they worthily exercised their priesthood keys and led the Church in their time as directed by God through revelation. This is true of President Thomas S. Monson today.

Cool, let's go shopping!

Quote:
(4) Obtaining or regaining a testimony of Joseph Smith as a prophet of God and of the restoration of the gospel through him is always essentially a spiritual quest. Nephi’s reminder to his older brother of the Lord’s words provides a good description of the path each must walk: ”If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you”, (1 Nephi 15:11).

Just remember, go with your gut, not with your head.

Quote:
(5) In working with individual members who are expressing doubts, priesthood leaders should (a) provide the best possible answers to the questions the members are asking, (b) teach the spiritual path each must walk to gain or regain a testimony, helping the members to remember past spiritual witnesses and to avoid contact with evil influences, and (c) emphasize that faith is a conscious choice that each must make.

Translation: Get them to stop visiting sites like Mormonthink.com.

Quote:
(6) As guided by the Spirit, the scriptures, and Handbook 1 (section 6.7.3 material on Apostasy), priesthood leaders may need to take disciplinary action with those members who persist in publicly opposing the Church and its leaders after they have been lovingly worked with and corrected by their bishop or higher authority. Alma’s counsel is important in this regard: ”Now repentance could not come unto men except there were a punishment…” (Alma 42:16).

Hold their feet to the fire and remind them that doubting is a sin. Make sure they know that their choices will affect thousands of lives accross the generations of time so they REALLY feel the guilt.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:57 pm 
God

son of Ishmael wrote:
I think it is a positive step by the church to at least acknowledge the issue. Of course they could make it all go away by publicly addressing the major issues and state their official position.

"Thus sayeth the Lord"...

1. Book of Abraham.....

2. Polygamy and Polyandry....

3. etc, etc,etc...

Of course they usually put the blame on God by saying that he has not revealed it to them at this time. God has been very quiet lately. I hope he is feeling well.

Great point. They are instructing local authorities to do their best in answering the individual's questions. Something they cannot even do themselves. If the prophet of God cannot answer the questions then how is some branch president in the middle of Sweden suppose to answer them?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:00 pm 
God

Wow. Jensen is one I still had a smidgen of respect for. No more. He's a liar like all the rest. I doubt this "program" he outlines will be effective with the Swedes, who after all are generally well educated and satisfied with a secular life. To be a Mormon in Sweden must be even more of an alienating and marginalizing thing than to be Mormon in America outside the Mormon Corridor.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:04 pm 
God

Equality wrote:
Wow. Jensen is one I still had a smidgen of respect for. No more. He's a liar like all the rest. I doubt this "program" he outlines will be effective with the Swedes, who after all are generally well educated and satisfied with a secular life. To be a Mormon in Sweden must be even more of an alienating and marginalizing thing than to be Mormon in America outside the Mormon Corridor.

Put me down as being surprised by Jensen's statements. You really have to sell your soul to be a leader in the Mormon church.

I read an article about how when people are confronted with truth that conflicts with their strongly held beliefs they end up working so hard to rationalize that they end up even more convinced of their beliefs. It says something that the evidence is so strong against Mormonism that such a common defense mechanism isn't enough to save faith in it.

Wonder what they'll do with the temple in Stockholm when it's no longer needed. I hear Walmart is trying to expand into Scandinavia. :lol:

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:13 pm 
God

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Equality wrote:

Put me down as being surprised by Jensen's statements. You really have to sell your soul to be a leader in the Mormon church.

I read an article about how when people are confronted with truth that conflicts with their strongly held beliefs they end up working so hard to rationalize that they end up even more convinced of their beliefs. It says something that the evidence is so strong against Mormonism that such a common defense mechanism isn't enough to save faith in it.

Wonder what they'll do with the temple in Stockholm when it's no longer needed. I hear Walmart is trying to expand into Scandinavia. :lol:

Bob, the phenomenon you describe is called cognitive dissonance. A wonderful book on the subject was Leon Festinger's classic "When Prophecy Fails," which details a sociological experiment in the 1950s in which researchers examined a UFO cult (er, excuse me, mainstream religious organization) that was led by a charismatic woman who claimed to be receiving messages from aliens about the impending destruction of the earth. Her followers began proselytizing vigorously in an effort to warn the earth of its coming fate. She prophesied specific dates when these things were to occur. When the date for the expected even came and went without incident, she received a message that the aliens had been merciful, etc. The researchers expected that the failed prophecy would result in a diminution in the faith of the sect's adherents. The oppositie occurred among many in the group--they became more committed and they rationalized the failed prophecy by employing some impressive mental gymnastics. I believe Festinger coined the term "cognitive dissonance" (though I may be wrong about that) to describe this phenomenon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:14 pm 
God

Location: Somewhere on the ocean with know-it-all control freak Nephi

“He and all other prophets of this dispensation have human weaknesses…”

Sure, I will buy that. Nobody is perfect. So what is an appropriate weakness for a prophet of God?

If Joseph did not become a “fallen prophet” were his actions with other men’s wives and underage girls fully approved of by God or were they just normal weaknesses?

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk - Tom Waits

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:18 pm 
God

Equality wrote:
Bob, the phenomenon you describe is called cognitive dissonance. A wonderful book on the subject was Leon Festinger's classic "When Prophecy Fails," which details a sociological experiment in the 1950s in which researchers examined a UFO cult (er, excuse me, mainstream religious organization) that was led by a charismatic woman who claimed to be receiving messages from aliens about the impending destruction of the earth. Her followers began proselytizing vigorously in an effort to warn the earth of its coming fate. She prophesied specific dates when these things were to occur. When the date for the expected even came and went without incident, she received a message that the aliens had been merciful, etc. The researchers expected that the failed prophecy would result in a diminution in the faith of the sect's adherents. The oppositie occurred among many in the group--they became more committed and they rationalized the failed prophecy by employing some impressive mental gymnastics. I believe Festinger coined the term "cognitive dissonance" (though I may be wrong about that) to describe this phenomenon.

I have heard of that. It's just interesting that the mental gymnastics aren't enough to save people's faith in Mormonism.

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:16 pm 
God

Equality wrote:
To be a Mormon in Sweden must be even more of an alienating and marginalizing thing than to be Mormon in America outside the Mormon Corridor.

Not to mention the delicious, delicious Swedish coffee...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:10 pm 
God

If our Swedish Brethren pray hard enough and receive the gift of the remote electrodes like they implant at BYU, this tide of apostasy will be stilled by the estuary of acceptance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:18 pm 
God

A summary history of the church in Sweden:

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/58658/Country-information-Sweden.html

Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:19 pm 
High Priest

While I absolutely agree with those of you who have pointed out the inadequacy of this response regarding actually providing answers, I do think it is a positive step in one respect. There are multiple instances in there where leaders are instructed to show love and understanding, and to respect people's agency. This is a far cry from the "call them to repentance" response that many have experienced from their leaders. If this approach does filter out through the whole church, it will result in much less pain for those experiencing faith crises as well as their loved ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:29 pm 
God

Cylon wrote:
While I absolutely agree with those of you who have pointed out the inadequacy of this response regarding actually providing answers, I do think it is a positive step in one respect. There are multiple instances in there where leaders are instructed to show love and understanding, and to respect people's agency. This is a far cry from the "call them to repentance" response that many have experienced from their leaders. If this approach does filter out through the whole church, it will result in much less pain for those experiencing faith crises as well as their loved ones.

Ceylon,

I agree with you on this. Perhaps this could also be taken as evidence of the same general change in approach from the top that lead to the shake-up at MI.

At the end of the day though, a massive fraud is a massive fraud. When the townsfolk finally reach for their pitchforks, it usually only a matter of time.

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:30 pm 
Brother of Jesus

Fame and fortune to the first poster to make a Mormon-related IKEA joke.

Skratta!

\m/