It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Neighborhood chair drops MTC fight after letter from church
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:34 pm 
Area Authority

Not sure if you've seen this yet, but here's a link to an interesting article.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/central/provo/neighborhood-chair-drops-mtc-fight-after-letter-from-church/article_dba7b325-5c70-566f-b6af-96c523e1ff84.html?comment_form=true

And yet the Mormons complain so bitterly about comparisons to the Fundamentalist Mormon church.

Post subject: Re: Neighborhood chair drops MTC fight after letter from chu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:26 pm 
the very elect

LMAO at this comment:

Quote:
Good luck Provo folks, but you know darn well that if this building was 250ft tall and looked like a birthday cake with an Angel Moroni on top of it, you would have been jumping up and down for joy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:49 am 
God

People are dumb..... The MTC becoming a taller building no different than several buildings within a few blocks of BYU in Provo isn't going to hurt or bother anything.

No idea what these people are complaining about. :(

Apartment buildings, office building, BYU Stadium, etc. etc. all WELL above or around the same height as the proposed improvement to the MTC.

You people live in a CITY for crying out loud..... Get over yourselves!!!

BTW, I now live in Provo, and it's wonderful to see so many good people in this part of the country.
Although, on University Ave. the night before the 4th Parade, is was very sad to see how many young people college age and upper high school were immoral, sex, drugs & party. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:52 am 
1st Counselor

Location: The seedy underbelly, or fallen realm known as Ogden.
Finally! After decades of silence, a revelation from the First Presidency & Quorum of the 12! It looks like the big man upstairs personally wants a 9 story building at the MTC! Isn't it marvelous? Isn't it wonderful? My testimony of modern revelation is restored. If you read the article, the members were told it was a secular issue. When this "secular issue" looked be to against the giant building, god stepped in and revealed it was going to be built and everyone should sustain it.

All kidding aside, this reeks of something Warren Jeffs would pull. The GA's just don't realize how stupid and cult-like this makes the church look.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:04 am 
God

As usual anti-mormons have comprehension problems.

The Church simply sent a letter to a Ward of the Church indicating it's desires to improve the MTC which would in fact improve Missionary Training, and they indicated that they would appreciate support from the membership in that endeavor.

There is nothing "cult-like" or sinister here.....

Sad you all are. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:06 am 
the very elect

ldsfaqs wrote:
You people live in a CITY for crying out loud..... Get over yourselves!!!

Goodie two shoes wrote:
Although, on University Ave. the night before the 4th Parade, is was very sad to see how many young people college age and upper high school were immoral, sex, drugs & party. :(

Orly.

Like what?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:07 am 
the very elect

ldsfaqs wrote:

The Church simply sent a letter to a Ward of the Church indicating it's desires to improve the MTC which would in fact improve Missionary Training, and they indicated that they would appreciate support from the membership in that endeavor.

Did you not see the PBS special, "The Mormons", specifically the part of how the MTC(pronounced Empty Sea) is ran?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:39 am 
the very elect

Racer wrote:
Finally! After decades of silence, a revelation from the First Presidency & Quorum of the 12! It looks like the big man upstairs personally wants a 9 story building at the MTC! Isn't it marvelous? Isn't it wonderful? My testimony of modern revelation is restored. If you read the article, the members were told it was a secular issue. When this "secular issue" looked be to against the giant building, god stepped in and revealed it was going to be built and everyone should sustain it.

All kidding aside, this reeks of something Warren Jeffs would pull. The GA's just don't realize how stupid and cult-like this makes the church look.

Uhhh you must have missed the televised Home Teacher visit to Pres Hinckley by Larry King.

Quote:
KING: You are the prophet, right?

HINCKLEY: Right.

KING: Does that mean that, according to the church canon, the Lord speaks through you?

HINCKLEY: I think he makes his will manifest, yes.

KING: So if you change things, that's done by an edict given to you.

HINCKLEY: Yes, sir. KING: How do you receive it?

HINCKLEY: Well, various ways. It isn't necessarily a voice heard. Impressions come. The building of this very building I think is an evidence of that.

There came an impression, a feeling, that we need to enlarge our facilities where we could hold our conferences. And it was a very bold measure. We had to tear down a big building here and put this building up at great cost.

But goodness sakes, what a wonderful thing it's proven to be. It is an answer to many, many needs. And I think it's the result of inspiration.

KING: And that came from something higher than you.

HINCKLEY: I think so.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ ... kl.01.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:59 am 
High Priest

Why does the MTC even need a huge new building? There are fewer missionaries going out now than when I went a decade or so ago, and we weren't hurting for space back then. Are they planning on reversing the "raising the bar" decision and guilting every kid with a pulse into going on a mission again? Maybe they're gonna start telling all the young women they have to go on missions, too, and lower the age to 19 for women.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:38 am 
God

Cylon raises an interesting point. The total number of missionaries is down, and the number going to foreign mtcs is up. Why the expansion?

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:55 am 
God

Simple.... Because it's needed, and has been for some time.
The Church is still growing, even in the U.S.

Plus, I'm surprised it took this long, which is likely due to the cry babies. The MTC is TINY....
And you clearly aren't aware of the uncomfortable situations that have to be done to train the Missionary's there because of the lack of space.

Man, can you people get a life? Groups, businesses, etc. EXPAND all the time, it's a part of life. GET OVER IT!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:06 pm 
Valiant A

SteelHead wrote:
Cylon raises an interesting point. The total number of missionaries is down, and the number going to foreign mtcs is up. Why the expansion?

It isn't necessarily expansion. They're tearing down a bunch of dorms built at the same time because of the generally crappy state of public building construction in the 60s and 70s (which is in no way limited to BYU and its environs). I'm guessing it's some of that. Buildings that are functionally obsolete and so ugly that they aren't worth the renovation cost.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:56 pm 
God

Quote:

Two lovely daughters of Korihor contemplating the lofty truths of eternity in the Great and Spacious Ballroom.

Be careful, because this kind of thing will attract the real vulgarians around here (justme, Toronto, Paul etc.) and all the masks will come of.

But its Saturday night, I guess that makes in all right...

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:06 pm 
Valiant A

Droopy wrote:
Quote:

Two lovely daughters of Korihor contemplating the lofty truths of eternity in the Great and Spacious Ballroom.

Be careful, because this kind of thing will attract the real vulgarians around here (justme, Toronto, Paul etc.) and all the masks will come of.

But its Saturday night, I guess that makes in all right...

They're just young women being silly. You can tell from their expressions that they're not serious. In any event, it's nothing to get worked up about.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:17 pm 
High Priest

sansfoy wrote:
SteelHead wrote:

It isn't necessarily expansion. They're tearing down a bunch of dorms built at the same time because of the generally crappy state of public building construction in the 60s and 70s (which is in no way limited to BYU and its environs). I'm guessing it's some of that. Buildings that are functionally obsolete and so ugly that they aren't worth the renovation cost.

Okay, that makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:52 pm 
God

sansfoy wrote:
Buildings that are functionally obsolete and so ugly that they aren't worth the renovation cost.

So... the temple is coming down, right? Obsolete? Check. Ugly? Double check. Not worth the renovation cost? Triple check.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:30 pm 
Nursery

It is interesting how the Mormon haters find any issue to attack. "The Mormons build a tall building and convince the neighborhood to go along with it, therefore, they are a cult". "The Mormons have commandments and people actually keep them, they must be a cult!" "The Mormons believe in direct Revelation from God through a Prophet and a Council of the Twelve, just like Warren Jeffs." If President Monson were to make his people break the laws of the country and force children to marry old men, then he would be excommunicated and arrested. Warren Jeffs was arrested but not excommunicated. Wait, Mormon hating bigots actually believe President Monson does that stuff anyway, my bad.

When hate becomes so strong due to some personal affront with the LDS Church that pride cannot overcome, irrationality creeps in. Every move, every position, every declaration by the Mormon leadership has nefarious motives. It is okay, we dealt with it when our ancestors were forced from Missouri and Illinois we can deal with it verbally and in written form now.

Latter-Day Saints left their homes in Nauvoo by Faith, they can deal with a tall building in their neighborhood. Anything said in these comments will not affect the faith of millions. I guess those who don't understand might continue to rage but then their lives are filled with anger so go figure.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:40 pm 
businessman05 wrote:
It is interesting how the Mormon haters find any issue to attack. "The Mormons build a tall building and convince the neighborhood to go along with it, therefore, they are a cult". "The Mormons have commandments and people actually keep them, they must be a cult!" "The Mormons believe in direct Revelation from God through a Prophet and a Council of the Twelve, just like Warren Jeffs." If President Monson were to make his people break the laws of the country and force children to marry old men, then he would be excommunicated and arrested. Warren Jeffs was arrested but not excommunicated. Wait, Mormon hating bigots actually believe President Monson does that stuff anyway, my bad.

When hate becomes so strong due to some personal affront with the LDS Church that pride cannot overcome, irrationality creeps in. Every move, every position, every declaration by the Mormon leadership has nefarious motives. It is okay, we dealt with it when our ancestors were forced from Missouri and Illinois we can deal with it verbally and in written form now.

Latter-Day Saints left their homes in Nauvoo by Faith, they can deal with a tall building in their neighborhood. Anything said in these comments will not affect the faith of millions. I guess those who don't understand might continue to rage but then their lives are filled with anger so go figure.

It's refreshing to read a calm, anger-free post that doesn't assume nefarious motives or express hatred towards a group of people for a change. Welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:08 pm 
Nursery

Thanks! I was a little miffed that people would even post something about a building in a neighborhood and use that as a reason to spew hatred. I hope I did not sound too angry. I just find that when someone leaves the LDS church they just can't leave it alone. So, eventually, they find all of the discussion boards with "Mormon" in it to continue the venting. The presses spreading hate and liable were alive and well in Illinois/Missouri in Joseph Smith's day and I guess they continue today online.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:27 pm 
Has More Degrees Than Droopy

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
ldsfaqs wrote:
Groups, businesses, etc. EXPAND all the time, it's a part of life. GET OVER IT!!!

Except your businesses.

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:44 pm 
God

ldsfaqs wrote:

Hmmm swore I read the stake pres called the chair in and "invited" him to sustain the Q12 in their desire to proceed with the building. Of course anyone reading between the lines here ("or else") would be purely anti-mormon thought right?

I also understood from my reading of the article that this was followed up with a letter being read to the congregation (i.e. the petition signers of the stake getting their views blocked and property values diminished) also “inviting” them to also follow the council of the q12. Once again more reading between the lines would be unjust right?