It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Confirmation of Developments?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:34 pm 
Seedy Academician

The following excerpt of Daniel's blog is dated June 15, 2012.

Daniel Peterson wrote:
There’s no reason for us to like diseases, financial setbacks, wars, betrayals by friends, interpersonal hostilities, misunderstandings, physical injuries, injustice, unmerited humiliations, and the like. It must needs be that offenses come, but woe unto him by whom those offenses come. They hurt. They’re painful. And their costs are, many times, very high and quite permanent. However, they do serve to school us, to train us, to smooth and polish us (as Joseph said of the persecutions that afflicted him throughout his life) as we, stone-like, roll down the hills of our lives.

"I don't profess to be such a Prophet as were Joseph Smith and Daniel; but I am a Yankee guesser." ~Brigham Young

Post subject: Re: Confirmation of Developments?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:38 pm 
Seedy Academician

Earlier, on June 14, the following statement:

Daniel Peterson wrote:
Finally, we arrived at The Scots Hotel, in Tiberias, on the Sea of Galilee. It’s a very quaint place that originally served as a hospital and residence for Church of Scotland missionaries here at the beginning of the twentieth century, and it’s still owned and operated by the Church of Scotland. I’ve never stayed in this hotel before, and, given its expense, probably never will again. But I like it a lot. With beautiful gardens overlooking the lake, it has a lot of character.

"I don't profess to be such a Prophet as were Joseph Smith and Daniel; but I am a Yankee guesser." ~Brigham Young

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:43 pm 
God

Perhaps. I think what's intriguing here is that no one has yet to come forward and denounce this as a false rumor. Doesn't Dan usually monitor this forum on a religious basis? He is usually quick to denounce these things when they're false, especially when they affect his profession and credibility. We know the folks at MAD lurk here regularly, including William Schryver who would probably know if this were true or false.

And yet the crickets are chirping.

None of the lurkers here have even tried to start a thread at MAD about it, which is unusual. They're obviously reading these posts. They always do.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:47 pm 
God

The weegie board says, "he's doomed."

Cruficy him!

:mad:

Paul O

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:51 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Kishkumen wrote:
The following excerpt of Daniel's blog is dated June 15, 2012.

Why, I wonder, did DCP move his blog over to the Patheos Web site? Very peculiar. And BTW: isn't Ben Spackman involved with the Mormon section of Patheos?

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:57 pm 
God

Look, Dr. Peterson is a wonderful guy. I don't always agree with what he writes or edits but there's a lot I don't agree with amongst good men who choose to be lightening rods.

This place has been terrible to him, and the assault is usually carried on by cowardly anonymous posters. People who should know better. Lawyers and academics and more.

I hope you're happy, Kish, sitting there in the safety of your ivory tower of Classicism and doing the anonymous thing that most of your treasured ancients would find despicable. I will wager that you were in Hypatia's mob.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:59 pm 
God

Most users ever online was 153 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:12 pm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:05 pm 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
Look, Dr. Peterson is a wonderful guy. I don't always agree with what he writes or edits but there's a lot I don't agree with amongst good men who choose to be lightening rods.

This place has been terrible to him, and the assault is usually carried on by cowardly anonymous posters. People who should know better. Lawyers and academics and more.

I hope you're happy, Kish, sitting there in the safety of your ivory tower of Classicism and doing the anonymous thing that most of your treasured ancients would find despicable. I will wager that you were in Hypatia's mob.

I'm not anonymous and have been quite vocal in expressing my disaproval.

How about the great (learned) doctor come here and explain the Explanations of Facsimile No. 3 right here on this GODDAMN forum instead of hiding behind John Gee? Hell, they are both cowards. BYU scholars are a joke!

Paul O

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:06 pm 
Seedy Academician

Yahoo Bot wrote:

Yahoo,

I have no idea whether this is real or what on earth is going on. It looks real, but I want to know whether it is real. You are deeply mistaken if you think I am experiencing some kind of Schadenfreude here. I don't know whether anything has happened or, if something has, why it has happened. I will say that I hope the Mormon Studies Review succeeds in its new direction, if that new direction excludes attacks on LDS Church members in good standing.

That you single me out for opprobrium here is odd. And, as for Hypatia's mob? You couldn't be more wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:10 pm 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:

Isn’t there an abusive cult somewhere in need of your legal expertise?

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:29 pm 
God

Please keep my personal life off of this board. I am totally unable to respond and explain what I do and whom I represent when it involves active matters. I don't expose your personal or professional life. Please leave mine alone.

If I make my personal life known here, then it is fair game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:35 pm 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
Please keep my personal life off of this board. I am totally unable to respond and explain what I do and whom I represent when it involves active matters. I don't expose your personal or professional life. Please leave mine alone.

Oh I am sooooo scared! You must be sooooo important. Sue me.

Paul O

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:51 pm 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
I don't expose your personal or professional life.

Baloney. You would if you could.

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:56 pm 
Anti-Mormon

Stop badgering people Bob, no one is going to break down and start crying here, so your usual strong arm tactics have no business being aired.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:57 pm 
God

Just leave my personal life out of your posts.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:59 pm 
God

MrStakhanovite wrote:
Stop badgering people Bob, no one is going to break down and start crying here, so your usual strong arm tactics have no business being aired.

I like my strong-arm tactics. They might be effective rejoinders to people who slander anonymously.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:02 pm 
God

Shulem wrote:
Yahoo Bot wrote:

Oh I am sooooo scared! You must be sooooo important. Sue me.

Paul O

I don't recall you ever exposing my personal life. I think you are a fine poster.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:02 pm 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
MrStakhanovite wrote:

I like my strong-arm tactics. They might be effective rejoinders to people who slander anonymously.

Yeah, and if you work real hard and impress lots of people you might get noticed by one of the big boys, like Scientology.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:04 pm 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
I don't recall you ever exposing my personal life. I think you are a fine poster.

I'm even finer in bed.

:smile:

Paul O

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:08 pm 
God

Kishkumen wrote:

Yahoo,

I have no idea whether this is real or what on earth is going on. It looks real, but I want to know whether it is real. You are deeply mistaken if you think I am experiencing some kind of Schadenfreude here. I don't know whether anything has happened or, if something has, why it has happened. I will say that I hope the Mormon Studies Review succeeds in its new direction, if that new direction excludes attacks on LDS Church members in good standing.

That you single me out for opprobrium here is odd. And, as for Hypatia's mob? You couldn't be more wrong.

There's lots you do with your skills. Instead you fight to make BYU a more bland place by silencing one of its voices with sharp elbows. It isn't enough that you attack the theories, you attack the professional reputations of those who advance them.

You're the power here, not Scratch. You're the one to understand academic freedom and free speech. Let's all yawn at what the Review will now be.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:20 pm 
God

Quote:
There's lots you do with your skills. Instead you fight to make BYU a more bland place by silencing one of its voices with sharp elbows. It isn't enough that you attack the theories, you attack the professional reputations of those who advance them.

Of course Bob is just talking out of his ass on this one. Kish has done nothing of the sort. Bob is just pissed off, as if Dan Peterson and William Schryver, that they cannot blame the apostates for any of this. If these things are transpiring as we suspect, then it is coming from dissenting voices from within their own house. They are trying to blame us the same way they tried to blame us for the failure of Schryver's so-called publication. And the same thing with Greg Smith's. They haven't a humble bone in their collective bodies to ever admit being wrong about anything. They're always going to be the eternal victims in their minds.

Bob can't seem to get his mind around the fact that Dan Peterson is reaping what he has been sowing for years now. Dan was the one who had spread lies about Robert Ritner over the course of five years, and only stopped when I contacted Ritner to find out the truth. He's been asked to tone it down but he doesn't listen to anything except his own ego. No wonder he gets along so well with the misogynist William Schryver.

So yes, kudos to NAMIR for choosing to abandon the low-level attack pieces for something that actually resembles scholarship. This war mentality that places everyone on one side or the other, isn't beneficial to anyone who isn't thinking like a Danite.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next