It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Why we fear Mormons" -The New York Times
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:06 am 
Why we fear Mormons

Written by J. Spencer Fluhman, an assistant professor of history at Brigham Young University

This article paints with a board brush anyone critical of the LDS church.

From the article:

Quote:
Making Mormons look bad helps others feel good. By imagining Mormons as intolerant rubes, or as heretical deviants, Americans from left and right can imagine they are, by contrast, tolerant, rational and truly Christian. Mitt Romney’s candidacy is only the latest opportunity for such stereotypes to be aired.

Quote:
Anti-Mormon attacks by evangelicals have betrayed anxiety over the divisions in their movement and their slipping cultural authority as arbiters of religious authenticity.

Once again we see that anyone critical of the church is portrayed as insincere or trying to compensate for something. This time I think it was taken to a ridiculous extreme.

Post subject: Re: "Why we fear Mormons" -The New York Times
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:41 am 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

The latter bit you quoted is perhaps a bit closer to the reasons why people fear the LDS Church, imo. While I think that some of this "bullying"/marginalization stuff figures in to it in a tangential way, I think that the real reasons have to do with the Church's secrecy, and with people's perceptions of its power and influence. When you take into account a variety of things: the Church's global sweep; its financial power; its occasional tendencies in the past to use litigation to silence critics; its high numbers of people in the FBI and CIA; its SCMC; its treatment of "so-called intellectuals"; its vast real estate holdings and other financial interests--and if you combine all this with the Church's secrecy, and its tendency to tell "little white lies" about things like polygamy, blood atonement, and so on, I don't think it's hard to see why people would be fearful or concerned.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:45 am 
God

Guess what Mormons, no one has an obligation to accept your religion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:15 am 
Prophet

He labeled the whole world "anti-Mormon". That's funny. Do other religions do this? If I say that I don't like Catholicism and I would never be Catholic, would they label me an anti-Catholic?

He is just showing everyone the us vs them attitude of Mormonism. Where I live people don't know enough about Mormonism to be anti-Mormon, and furthermore they don't care enough to find out.

I think a lot of people will find the term "anti-Mormon" strange. It will only confirm their idea that Mormons are a little weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:19 am 
God

Hades wrote:
He labeled the whole world "anti-Mormon". That's funny. Do other religions do this? If I say that I don't like Catholicism and I would never be Catholic, would they label me an anti-Catholic?

Mormons are anti-Catholic. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 am 
God

Quote:

Guess what? That's one of our articles of Faith. But if you seek eternal life, you will have to accept it.

Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:32 am 
God

bcspace wrote:
Quote:

Guess what? That's one of our articles of Faith. But if you seek eternal life, you will have to accept it.

LOL. Make up your mind.

My point though, was the article screams, "give up your strongly held beliefs in order that Mormons don't feel offended".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:39 am 
God

Quote:
Guess what? That's one of our Articles of Faith. But if you seek eternal life, you will have to accept it.
Quote:
LOL. Make up your mind.

As to what? You are under no obligation to accept eternal life.

Quote:
My point though, was the article screams, "give up your strongly held beliefs in order that Mormons don't feel offended".

That's right. You can bring the truth you have with you but you'll have to strip yourself of false doctrine as well.

Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:44 am 
God

When did you stop beating your wife?

Let's not start off with a false premise, Fluhman, not everyone fears Mormons.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:59 am 
Prophet

lulu wrote:
When did you stop beating your wife?

Let's not start off with a false premise, Fluhman, not everyone fears Mormons.

Yeah, Mormons aren't that scary. According to bcspace, as long as you're not one of them, you won't be forced to live with them for the eternities.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:05 pm 
God

bcspace wrote:

That's right. You can bring the truth you have with you but you'll have to strip yourself of false doctrine as well.

Mormon sophistry doesn't impress me as a form of cleverness. (JSYK)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:22 pm 
Anti-Mormon

Always fist in line to be victims.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:34 pm 
God

In a nutshell bc inadvertently expresses the core issue of Mormonism's alienation from the Christian world.....and they act like the offended party.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:41 pm 
God

madeleine wrote:

No one has the obligation to accept the catholic religion either. But there are still many anticatholics out there. Go back in american history and one can read very hostile articles in the american press against catholicism. I suppose that if a catholic wrote something about it and gave his or her interpretation, a anticatholic could have written:

Guess what catholics, no one has an obligation to accept your religion.

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:44 pm 
Regional Representative

bcspace wrote:
Quote:

Go tell this to your non member friends and colleagues. Let us know how that works out for ya.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:46 pm 
First Presidency

I like Dr. Fluhman a lot. He helped me a bit during parts of my undergrad. He was a professor in the religion department until last year.

http://twitter.com/jtantley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:46 pm 
God

why me wrote:
madeleine wrote:

No one has the obligation to accept the catholic religion either. But there are still many anticatholics out there. Go back in american history and one can read very hostile articles in the american press against catholicism. I suppose that if a catholic wrote something about it and gave his or her interpretation, a anticatholic could have written:

Guess what catholics, no one has an obligation to accept your religion.

Your deflection away from the subject, which is Mormonism, aside. The author of this article has an obvious bias against Evangelical Protestantism. Because Evangelicals criticize Mormonism, they must be anti-Mormon.

Hypocritical article, from beginning to end. Mormonism is founded on criticizing all of Christianity. Must be that Mormons are anti-Christian.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:52 pm 
Seedy Academician

I liked the article. I thought it was well done. And I do think that scrutiny of Mormons is unusually exacting for such a large sect with at least heretically Christian beliefs. People are much nastier these days about Mormons than most other major religious groups except Muslims, perhaps. I don't see what all of the complaints are about.

"I don't profess to be such a Prophet as were Joseph Smith and Daniel; but I am a Yankee guesser." ~Brigham Young

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:02 pm 
God

Albion wrote:
In a nutshell bc inadvertently expresses the core issue of Mormonism's alienation from the Christian world.....and they act like the offended party.

Because they are. But then again, so where the catholics and the jews. So were the native americans and african americans. All offended parties from bigoted people. Mormons are just one many groups in america that have been offended.

We are “to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to provide for the widow, to dry up the tear of the orphan, to comfort the afflicted, whether in this church, or in any other, or in no church at all…”
Joseph Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:03 pm 
God

The title of the editorial seems disingenuous. "Why We Fear Mormons" sounds like it was written by somebody who is trying to come to grips with his own Mormonphobia. A more accurate title would be, "Why You Fear Us Mormons."

"It is of course theoretically possible for government to create wealth."

-Dr. Thomas Sowell
from an email exchange with Louis DeBroux:
http://kudzumollymormon.blogspot.com/20 ... rsary.html

Working Men of All Countries, Unite!
-Karl Marx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:04 pm 
God

madeleine wrote:

Your deflection away from the subject, which is Mormonism, aside. The author of this article has an obvious bias against Evangelical Protestantism. Because Evangelicals criticize Mormonism, they must be anti-Mormon.

Hypocritical article, from beginning to end. Mormonism is founded on criticizing all of Christianity. Must be that Mormons are anti-Christian.

No deflection. Just gave you something to think about since you are catholic. Catholics have had their share of anticatholicism in their history in the american press. Now it is the Mormons turn. You need to show sympathy since it also happened to your own faith.

And yes, it was the protestants that had a great deal of anticatholicism. It goes with the turf.

Joseph Smith