An old press release about Mormons from 1843!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

An old press release about Mormons from 1843!

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Hey folks, I just came across an obscure press release made by the Roman Catholic Church specifically addressing the Mormons way back in 1843! Here it is:

Use of the Word "Christian" in News Reports
Various News Outlets, 21 November 1843

Request to News Media:

The Roman Catholic Church recognizes that the persecution of polygamist Joseph Smith is generating substantial media coverage and that Smith's group also refers to its members as "Christians." That is causing problems for reporters trying to help their readers, viewers and listeners distinguish between Smith's followers and The Roman Catholic Church.

In the public mind, the word Christian has come to mean something very specific. It conjures up images of Priests behind pulpits, the Vatican, and Cathedrals. It has become a synonym for members of The Roman Catholic Church. Consequently, when "Christian" is used to describe Mormon groups, it causes great confusion about our beliefs among the general public and frustration to our members, which number over 50 million worldwide.

The Associated Press Stylebook has recognized this difficulty and specified that the term "Christian" is a nickname that should be applied exclusively to members of Catholic and Protestant denominations and that it is not accurately applied to any other person or organization (see entries on “Christianity” and “Protestant Christianity”).

Mormons and Mormon organizations that occasionally make the news are not dissident wings of Catholicism or fundamentalists. They have no affiliation whatsoever with The Roman Catholic Church. Most of their members have never had any association with Catholicism either.

It follows that because Joseph Smith is not affiliated with the Catholic church, and since he is not Christian, reporters should look for more accurate and less misleading descriptions of him in the media. For example, Court PP’s parchment page never once used the word "Christian" to describe Joseph Smith in its story entitled “Prosecutors to present evidence against polygamist leader Joseph Smith in teen-bride case.”

We sometimes hear the argument that because Smith and his followers use the Bible they should be considered Christians. However, Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, and a host of other faiths believe in God and claim Him as their own, yet all consider themselves separate and distinct faiths.

The same is true for all religious groups who believe in Jesus’s prophetic calling and use the Bible. For example, the Anglican church claims Jesus and the Bible but changed its name from the Roman Catholic Church to be recognized as a different faith.

Perhaps the following points will be helpful in your media coverage:
  • Joseph Smith has never been a member of The Roman Catholic Church, whose members are often referred to as “Christians.”
  • Polygamy was officially discontinued after the Resurrection of Jesus. Any Church member adopting the practice today is excommunicated. Those groups which continue the practice in Nauvoo and elsewhere have no association whatever with The Roman Catholic Church, and most of their practitioners have never been among our members.
  • The Church has long been concerned about the continued illegal practice of polygamy, and in particular about reports of child and wife abuse emanating from polygamous communities today.
  • Even in countries where civil or religious law allows polygamy, the Church teaches that marriage must be monogamous and does not accept into its membership those practicing plural marriage.
Thank you for your time and attention in what we consider a very serious matter for our faith. We hope that both reporters and headline writers will be sensitive to this information.

-Vatican Public Affairs

[Interestingly, that old press release seems to have been dusted-off, reworded, and given new life here.
Last edited by Alexa [Bot] on Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: An old press release about Mormons from 1843!

Post by _harmony »

a few problems with this:

1. the Saints weren't in Utah in 1843. They were in Nauvoo still.

2. the Saints didn't start practicing polygamy publically until 1852.

Looks like a spoof to me.
_Mrs Robbins
_Emeritus

Post by _Mrs Robbins »

harmony wrote:Looks like a spoof to me.

Really, Harmony, you think so?

P.S. You have a really pretty name - Harmony.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Nicely done, Shades. Excellent satire.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Harmony: Click on this thread by Polygamy Porter and this thread by Who Knows. Be sure to click on the link inside each of the opening posts and notice where they take you.

P.S. Thanks, Runtu!
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

So this was therefore a combination of information and disinformation.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Dr. Shades wrote:

Harmony: Click on this thread by Polygamy Porter and this thread by Who Knows. Be sure to click on the link inside each of the opening posts and notice where they take you.

P.S. Thanks, Runtu!

*sigh* I know, Shades. I know. Unfortunately satire, without appropriate smilies or some other red flag, too easily becomes Swift's rendition of the Irish eating small children, or HG Wells' the war of the worlds. Some people will believe it and get all upset, and then the ones who get it sit around smirking and patting themselves on the back for being so smart that they made someone else feel like a fool. Meanwhile, the people who believed are once again on the outside looking in.

Nevermind. Humor is a personal thing.
_OUT OF MY MISERY
_Emeritus

Post by _OUT OF MY MISERY »

Dr. Shades wrote:

P.S. Thanks, Runtu!

This sends shivers up my polygamy spine......>>>>>
When I wake up I will be hungry....but this feels so good right now aaahhhhhh........