It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "... or what kind of a god is that?"
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:19 pm 
The Outcast

Jeff Holland stumbles through the BBC interview, trying at one point (28:03-30:30) to defend Mitt Romney against the interviewer's question about Romney having made a promise on penalty of death (his throat being slit) not to tell what goes on in the Mormon temples.

Holland asks, rhetorically,
Jeffrey R Holland wrote:
Anybody who has a relationship to god has made a pledge of some kind to god, there must be some kind of loyalty to god, or what kind of a god is that?

Holland's rhetorically asked question implies that the only kind of god Holland can fathom is one that would require a pledge or 'some kind of loyalty'. That is a god that bargains with his creations, barters his blessings in exchange for pledges of loyalty from his creations.

What kind of a god would not do that? Well, Mr Holland, maybe a loving god would not necessarily require that. On the other hand, one that bargains his blessings for sycophantic loyalty from his own creations. What kind of a god is that, Mr Holland? Perhaps a megalomaniac god?

Post subject: Re: "... or what kind of a god is that?"
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:20 pm 
God

One of the greatest ideas I've learned about God in the past two years is that she doesn't have the time, desire, or means to make deals with all of us.

Recently, I found you can talk to authors of books by reading them. Blixa taught me this. Likewise, I can talk to God before I discuss with my parents the ground rules of our home: my wife and I preside and decide when prayers should be offered. We, as parents of our little ones, are in charge of raising them and are the only ones who should chastise them in matters of religious practices, should we choose to do so.

God will talk to me and help me find the right words to say. She will not barter with me. She expects nothing. She finds happiness in ours.

The Holy Sacrament.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:56 pm 
God

zeezrom wrote:
One of the greatest ideas I've learned about God in the past two years is that she doesn't have the time, desire, or means to make deals with all of us.

Recently, I found you can talk to authors of books by reading them. Blixa taught me this. Likewise, I can talk to God before I discuss with my parents the ground rules of our home: my wife and I preside and decide when prayers should be offered. We, as parents of our little ones, are in charge of raising them and are the only ones who should chastise them in matters of religious practices, should we choose to do so.

God will talk to me and help me find the right words to say. She will not barter with me. She expects nothing. She finds happiness in ours.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:16 pm 
World's Top Zion Scientist

Morley wrote:
zeezrom wrote:

Recently, I found you can talk to authors of books by reading them. Blixa taught me this. Likewise, I can talk to God before I discuss with my parents the ground rules of our home: Dear Wife and I preside and decide when prayers should be offered. We, as parents of our little ones, are in charge of raising them and are the only ones who should chastise them in matters of religious practices, should we choose to do so.

+1

Dictating to God hmm? When are you guys gonna climb out of the sandbox and leave YOUR megalomania behind?

My YouTube videos:HERE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:27 pm 
God

Quote:
Dictating to God hmm? When are you guys gonna climb out of the sandbox and leave YOUR megalomania behind?

Pot, meet kettle.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin