Detachable Brains for Mormons

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I don't know how much of that swag I still have...I may need to replenish my stores, runtu!

I remember this HUGE fight over a Tad t-shirt. On the front was a picture of the band drawn by Peter Bagge, on the back in HUGE ASS letters it read: "DO YOU LIKE ME? DIAL 1-800-EATSH**T." God, it was obnoxious. Some how I managed to get off with it and wore it for years---usually to department meetings.

One thing I didn't get, and STILL remember is the promotional package that came with Phranc's "I Enjoy Being a Girl" album. It was an actual hatbox filled with a fluffy pink down powder puff, a pink compact and matching lipstick, eyeshadow, a drinking glass (with a cute lady cow and the word "Milk" on it), cookies, sunglasses, a chiffon scarf and copy of the cassette. Damn!
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Some Schmo wrote:I've got the feeling that Mormons go around looking for the brains in the same way they go around looking for their glasses... only to realize they're already wearing them.

I blame any damage to my brain on the LASIK eye surgery.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Blixa wrote:I don't know how much of that swag I still have...I may need to replenish my stores, runtu!

I remember this HUGE fight over a Tad t-shirt. On the front was a picture of the band drawn by Peter Bagge, on the back in HUGE ASS letters it read: "DO YOU LIKE ME? DIAL 1-800-EATSH**T." God, it was obnoxious. Some how I managed to get off with it and wore it for years---usually to department meetings.

One thing I didn't get, and STILL remember is the promotional package that came with Phranc's "I Enjoy Being a Girl" album. It was an actual hatbox filled with a fluffy pink down powder puff, a pink compact and matching lipstick, eyeshadow, a drinking glass (with a cute lady cow and the word "Milk" on it), cookies, sunglasses, a chiffon scarf and copy of the cassette. Damn!

I feel so deprived.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I did get a lot of cool stuff sent to me directly from label reps: the guy at Rough Trade was especially generous. It was due to his kindness that I own nearly all of the Fall back catelog--which is notoriously hard to pin down since they did so many different versions of things. He also sent me a rare Britian-only gatefold edition of the Smith's Hatful of Hollow and an autographed picture of Blixa Bargeld (which I later gave to a boyfriend). Bruce and Jonathon, the SubPop guys gave me a free subscription to the Sub Pop Singles Club, and somehow I also got a lot of free 7" 's from Sympathy For the Record Industry---how I wangled that, I'm not sure.

Another great item that I DIDN'T GET and still long for was the set of Replacements placemats. I think that was the most coveted of all promotional items.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Blixa wrote:I did get a lot of cool stuff sent to me directly from label reps: the guy at Rough Trade was especially generous. It was due to his kindness that I own nearly all of the Fall back catelog--which is notoriously hard to pin down since they did so many different versions of things. He also sent me a rare Britian-only gatefold edition of the Smith's Hatful of Hollow and an autographed picture of Blixa Bargeld (which I later gave to a boyfriend). Bruce and Jonathon, the SubPop guys gave me a free subscription to the Sub Pop Singles Club, and somehow I also got a lot of free 7" 's from Sympathy For the Record Industry---how I wangled that, I'm not sure.

Another great item that I DIDN'T GET and still long for was the set of Replacements placemats. I think that was the most coveted of all promotional items.

Now that would be something worth having.

I have nothing of value whatsoever except for some Art Brut ticket stubs somebody sent me a while back with some great CDs. All that got me was an accusation that I was having an affair with a mysterious professor from Brooklyn.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Runtu wrote:Promo slut, huh?

I remember back when you coud get a couple of years worth of pens at computer conventions not to mention more candy than halloween. I once won a free copy of WordPerfect Office, just for raising my hand and shouting the word "Windows". Those were the days of free t-shirts that said Novell and my favorite, "X-Mission" - almost sounds like something straight out of Orgazmo.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

moksha wrote:
Runtu wrote:Promo slut, huh?

I remember back when you coud get a couple of years worth of pens at computer conventions not to mention more candy than halloween. I once won a free copy of WordPerfect Office, just for raising my hand and shouting the word "Windows". Those were the days of free t-shirts that said Novell and my favorite, "X-Mission" - almost sounds like something straight out of Orgazmo.

I remember those days too. A month or so ago, I went to the Offshore Technology Conference (a big deal in the oil bidness) and lots of free crap, from key chains to some rather vile Chinese candy I foisted off on the kids. I took all the free CDs because they came with free jewel cases.
Runtu's Rincón