It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From My Informant: The "Review" is Now a Collector's Item
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:07 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

It's been a bit of a while since I've heard any news concerning the ongoing conflict between the Mopologists and the Maxwell Institute, but earlier today I was treated to a fresh bit of "intel" in my PM inbox. It turns out that, according to my source, the powers-that-be at the Maxwell Institute recently ordered that the entire, physical stock of the back issues of the FARMS Review be shredded!

I had to admit that I was a bit aghast when I heard this: I couldn't help but envision classic articles like, "That Old Black Magic" and Welch's work on chiasmus being ground into confetti. "The Witchcraft Paradigm"; "Abracadabra"; "Prying into Palmer"--can you hear the whirring of the machine?

Of course, it's understandable that the new regime at the MI would want to distance itself from the spectre of the old Review, what with its endless ad hominem attacks, its reliance upon well-known anti-semites as sources, and its misguided attacks on under-funded Christian ministries. Then again, I wonder about the decision to actually destroy all the back-issues. Surely they could have had a sort of "Fire Sale," or something, no? Or they could have dumped them all into a boxes to be distributed around BYU with a "FREE BOOKS" sign taped to it? Regardless, if this is true, it seems like a pretty clear indication of the extent to which there is still bad blood between the classic-FARMS crew and the New M.I.

The silver lining here, of course, is that hardcopies of the old Review are now something of a "collector's item." Be extra careful if you own one! You may want to try and get it autographed by Midgley, Welch, Hamblin, and the rest of the crew, in fact, as this would surely increase the issues' resale value.

As always: I must insist upon the usual skepticism regarding this bit of intel. If it's true, I suspsect that confirmation will be forthcoming from the Mopologists before long.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

Post subject: Re: From My Informant: The "Review" is Now a Collector's Ite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:11 pm 
Anti-Mormon

Goodnight Sweet Princes of Print...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:19 pm 
God

[deleted]

Last edited by CaliforniaKid on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:41 pm 

CaliforniaKid wrote:
One can understand the decision from a branding perspective, yet one has to wonder what they were thinking. Surely the destruction of books, with all its unfortunate associations, is worse publicity for the Institute than continuing to distribute the old volumes. If the Institute didn't want anything to do with them, the old volumes could even have been handed over to the Interpreter Foundation on condition that any mention of the Institute be blacked out or papered over when the Foundation distributed back issues.

That's an interesting point, CK. I wonder if such a gesture was made? I.e., perhaps the people at the Maxwell Institute contacted Mormon Interpreter and tried to get them to take the old issues away? If that happened, I can think of several reasons why the crew at Mormon Interpreter would have said, "No." E.g., they might not have had room to store the physical issues; perhaps the MI wanted compensation, and the cash-strapped Interpreter couldn't pay up, etc. But, provided that my suggested scenario is true, there might be yet another, more complex reason: the people at Mormon Interpreter want to maintain as many ties with the old Maxwell Institute as possible.

What I mean is: by having the old issues still housed at the MI building, the Mopologists can continue their line of argument about how the Brethren gave their undertakings the stamp of approval. It was scarcely a few weeks ago that they were quoting from some old recording of Elder Maxwell that they'd transcribed as a means of continuing to bash away at the New Maxwell Institute. If there are still visible connections to the old regime, it provides yet more ammunition for the classic-FARMS guys; in other words, it shows that the connection has not been completely severed.

Which, of course, makes me wonder what will happen with the e-versions of the old Review. If my suspicions are correct, I would expect the MI leadership to try and get rid of the links. Perhaps they'll turn them over to Mormon Interpreter, or perhaps they'll simply be made to vanish. They could dump all the links and simply leave an online place-holder that says, "Please contact the Mormon Interpreter Foundation for old FARMS Review articles." Regardless, I would think that they'd experience a kind of catharsis if they were able to figure out a way to make it impossible for the Mopologists to reference their old work via links to the current Maxwell Institute. By continuing to house these things at BYU, they continue to give the classic-FARMS people traction w/r/t to the claims that there old stuff had the endorsement of the Powers-That-Be.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:46 pm 
Son of Perdition

Shred FARMS and make merry! Ding dong the witch is dead! The apologetic ogre has been slain!

:lol:

Paul O

Here Comes The Book of Abraham Part I

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:13 pm 
The Outcast

Shredding? The 21st Century version of book burning. By a religious based organization, no less. And a Mormon one to boot. How fitting to whitewash history by expunging what you do not like about your own past. It is so--so Correlative, after all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:37 pm 
God

Quote:
Shredding? The 21st Century version of book burning. By a religious based organization, no less. And a Mormon one to boot. How fitting to whitewash history by expunging what you do not like about your own past.

Agreed. Good thing the LDS Church doesn't do that.

Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:43 pm 
God

bcspace wrote:

Yeah good thing

Quote:
One of the first manuscripts stayed in Nauvoo with Lucy and eventually came into possession of Orson Pratt, an LDS apostle, who took it with him to England and published it in 1853. It generated considerable controversy; and Brigham Young, twelve years after the fact, ordered the Saints to deliver up their copies to be destroyed.

p. 68 of Lucy's Book: A Critical Edition of the Lucy Mack Smith's Family Memoir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:48 pm 
Has More Degrees Than Droopy

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
Load the deleted scene from Raiders Of The Lost Ark where they box up the entire Review and an anonymous orderly pushes the box deep into the archives.

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:49 pm 
God

Someone should place an order for back issues and see how strong the lure of money is.

A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:52 pm 
God

Willy Law wrote:
bcspace wrote:

Yeah good thing

Quote:
One of the first manuscripts stayed in Nauvoo with Lucy and eventually came into possession of Orson Pratt, an LDS apostle, who took it with him to England and published it in 1853. It generated considerable controversy; and Brigham Young, twelve years after the fact, ordered the Saints to deliver up their copies to be destroyed.

:lol:

—B. Redd McConkie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:00 pm 
The Outcast

Willy Law wrote:
bcspace wrote:

Yeah good thing

Quote:

When will the TBMs learn that there is a written record?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:04 pm 
God

Quote:

On what basis should I rely on Signature Books?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:09 pm 
The Outcast

bcspace wrote:
Quote:

On what basis should you rely on gravity? It is not pronounced on LDS.org.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:21 pm 
God

Quote:
On what basis should you rely on gravity? It is not pronounced on LDS.org.

Sure it is. Not only does the actual word come up in search (and the law of gravity specifically referenced), but on LDS.org one can find injunctions to learn about the world and how it operates (science).

I can't even begin to count how many times I've written solutions to problems or number crunching computer programs using some form or integration of F=ma (with "a" being gravity in many situations) or F= G(m1m2/r^2).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 pm 
The Outcast

bcspace wrote:
Quote:

Even the hacks at FAIR do not dispute that BY ordered the LDS to destroy their copies of Lucy Mack Smith's Biographical Sketches of Joseph Smith: "Brigham Young did attempt to destroy all copies of Lucy Mack Smith's Biographical Sketches of Joseph Smith, but we do not have enough information to know the reason why."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:55 pm 
Priest

Considering that the Review's content will all be and stay online, it's hardly trying to hide it away. From what I gather, FARMS over-printed the Review by the thousands and was sitting on a huge inventory that they would never sell, nor be able to give away--it's not like they are hot commodities. Furthermore, if they were having to pay taxes on them, it would have been very wise to just destroy them and be done with them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:58 pm 
The Outcast

the narrator wrote:
Considering that the Review's content will all be and stay online, it's hardly trying to hide it away. From what I gather, FARMS over-printed the Review by the thousands and was sitting on a huge inventory that they would never sell, nor be able to give away--it's not like they are hot commodities. Furthermore, if they were having to pay taxes on them, it would have been very wise to just destroy them and be done with them.

What taxes? As a part of the LDS Church, are they not tax exempt?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 pm 

the narrator wrote:

What was the point of this massive inventory? I.e., whose idea was this?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:10 pm 

sock puppet wrote:
the narrator wrote:

What taxes? As a part of the LDS Church, are they not tax exempt?

I'm wondering about that, too. Plus: was this standard practice since FARMS's inception? Or did they only decide to start this apparently wasteful over-printing after they got access to BYU's money? Some of the classic-FARMS apologists have been kicking up quite a stink over the notion that the MI's donors "didn't pay" for the new shift towards Mormon Studies. Well, did they know they were paying for thousands of old issues of the Review that were basically just sitting there and gathering dust?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:37 pm 
The Outcast

the narrator wrote:

It seems putting extra prints taking up space could more effectively be put into a dumpster not shredded. And why not simply put them on a table, for free, in the Wilkinson Center? That too would be less expensive than the cost to destroy them.

If they are shredding them, they are trying to contain how wide and far the contents are seen.