It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:05 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 pm
Posts: 2367
A group in California has entered a petition for the cause for Sainthood, of a woman who was raised LDS in Utah.

Quote:
Cora Louisa Yorgason Evans was born in Midvale, Utah, July 9, 1904, and raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She was married in the LDS Temple on June 4, 1924, and 10 years later became a Catholic and was baptized in St. Joseph Catholic Church in Ogden.

[....]

Ostracized from family and friends, the Evans family moved to southern California in 1941. Jesuit Father Frank Parrish became Evans’ spiritual advisor, as she had previously witnessed in ecstasy. Fr. Parrish was best known in Catholic circles for his blessing of terminally ill Jesuit Father John A. Houle with the relic of Blessed Claude la Colombiere in 1990. This led to a miraculous cure and the canonization of Claude in 1992.


The whole article is here:

http://www.icatholic.org/article/cause- ... n--1481252

If the cause is approved, there would be a St. Cora of Midvale. (sounds funny, lol) Though, most likely she would be St. Cora of Santa Clara. That has better ring to it, St. Cora of St. Claire!

St. Claire, pray for us!

_________________
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:18 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:02 pm
Posts: 3533
very cool, thanks for sharing this story.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a good autobiography of this womans journey through life. Beat it would be a good read.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:08 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 pm
Posts: 2367
Some of her story is online, here:

http://www.parishretreat.org/index.php?id=writings

There is an autobiography titled "The Captain of the Ship", but I don't know where it is available.

Peace.

_________________
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:37 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:42 pm
Posts: 13336
Location: Koloburbia
From Saint to Saint.





BTW, found this for an avatar that would rival that of Dr. Shades:

Image

No, this isn't the proposed Saint to be beatified. But it does indicate that we have been visited by Obliblishians.

_________________
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:52 am 
\m/ \m/
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:52 am
Posts: 11468
Location: my self-righteous suicide, System of a Down
Why is she wearing a gaudy door knocker upside down on her head?

_________________
"The soul is cheap
Lesson learned
Wish me luck
Soothe the burn
Wake me up"
Nirvana, Dumb

"Now do what they told ya."
Rage Against the Machine, Killing in the Name.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:14 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:33 pm
Posts: 12064
Location: Kli-flos-is-es
madeleine wrote:
A group in California has entered a petition for the cause for Sainthood, of a woman who was raised LDS in Utah.

Quote:
Cora Louisa Yorgason Evans was born in Midvale, Utah, July 9, 1904, and raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She was married in the LDS Temple on June 4, 1924, and 10 years later became a Catholic and was baptized in St. Joseph Catholic Church in Ogden.

[....]

Ostracized from family and friends, the Evans family moved to southern California in 1941. Jesuit Father Frank Parrish became Evans’ spiritual advisor, as she had previously witnessed in ecstasy. Fr. Parrish was best known in Catholic circles for his blessing of terminally ill Jesuit Father John A. Houle with the relic of Blessed Claude la Colombiere in 1990. This led to a miraculous cure and the canonization of Claude in 1992.


The whole article is here:

http://www.icatholic.org/article/cause- ... n--1481252

If the cause is approved, there would be a St. Cora of Midvale. (sounds funny, lol) Though, most likely she would be St. Cora of Santa Clara. That has better ring to it, St. Cora of St. Claire!

St. Claire, pray for us!


Wouldn't it be nice if religious folks from all walks of life could respect other people's decision to follow a different path according to their own consciences, without feeling the need to turn them into social lepers?

_________________
Parley P. Pratt wrote:
We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:
There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:41 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 pm
Posts: 2367
I have gained much more than I have lost. I have found where I belong.

Peace.

_________________
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:17 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:57 pm
Posts: 10816
Location: Ithaca
Wait, are you telling me a path leading away from the true fold and toward the whore of all the earth can lead to a miraculous cure?

_________________
Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given... Zeus (1178 BC)

The Holy Sacrament.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:51 pm 
Founder & Visionary
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:07 pm
Posts: 9797
Location: Shady Acres Status: MODERATOR
Image

From the article about Utah Saints on Wikipedia, there already are two Utah Saints:

  • Tim Garbutt, born 6 January 1969, and
  • Jez Willis, born 14 August 1968.

_________________
"[D. Michael Quinn] is excommunicated so we can't trust anything he ever said? Why does that work for him but not for the witnesses to the Book of Mormon?"

--ZelphtheGreat, 10/17/2013


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:27 pm 
Dr. Shades wrote:
Image

From the article about Utah Saints on Wikipedia, there already are two Utah Saints:

  • Tim Garbutt, born 6 January 1969, and
  • Jez Willis, born 14 August 1968.


I love their remake of that Kate Bush song.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:47 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 pm
Posts: 2367
ha! I tell my husband I'm going to become a Saints fan just so I can plaster Saints all over my car.

Image

_________________
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:51 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 pm
Posts: 2367
zeezrom wrote:
Wait, are you telling me a path leading away from the true fold and toward the whore of all the earth can lead to a miraculous cure?


Define "cure"


...just kidding.

But I wouldn't become Catholic for such material reasons such as that. :)

Peace.

_________________
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bazooka, DrW, Google [Bot], Jason Bourne, Majestic-12 [Bot], Metamech, MSNbot Media and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group