It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:05 pm 
God

A group in California has entered a petition for the cause for Sainthood, of a woman who was raised LDS in Utah.

Quote:
Cora Louisa Yorgason Evans was born in Midvale, Utah, July 9, 1904, and raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She was married in the LDS Temple on June 4, 1924, and 10 years later became a Catholic and was baptized in St. Joseph Catholic Church in Ogden.

[....]

Ostracized from family and friends, the Evans family moved to southern California in 1941. Jesuit Father Frank Parrish became Evans’ spiritual advisor, as she had previously witnessed in ecstasy. Fr. Parrish was best known in Catholic circles for his blessing of terminally ill Jesuit Father John A. Houle with the relic of Blessed Claude la Colombiere in 1990. This led to a miraculous cure and the canonization of Claude in 1992.

The whole article is here:

http://www.icatholic.org/article/cause- ... n--1481252

If the cause is approved, there would be a St. Cora of Midvale. (sounds funny, lol) Though, most likely she would be St. Cora of Santa Clara. That has better ring to it, St. Cora of St. Claire!

St. Claire, pray for us!

Post subject: Re: A Utah Saint?
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:18 pm 
God

very cool, thanks for sharing this story.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a good autobiography of this womans journey through life. Beat it would be a good read.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:08 pm 
God

Some of her story is online, here:

http://www.parishretreat.org/index.php?id=writings

There is an autobiography titled "The Captain of the Ship", but I don't know where it is available.

Peace.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:37 pm 
God

From Saint to Saint.

BTW, found this for an avatar that would rival that of Dr. Shades:

No, this isn't the proposed Saint to be beatified. But it does indicate that we have been visited by Obliblishians.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:52 am 
\m/ \m/

Why is she wearing a gaudy door knocker upside down on her head?

Soothe the burn
Wake me up"
Nirvana, Dumb

"Now do what they told ya."
Rage Against the Machine, Killing in the Name.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:14 am 
God

madeleine wrote:
A group in California has entered a petition for the cause for Sainthood, of a woman who was raised LDS in Utah.

Quote:
Cora Louisa Yorgason Evans was born in Midvale, Utah, July 9, 1904, and raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She was married in the LDS Temple on June 4, 1924, and 10 years later became a Catholic and was baptized in St. Joseph Catholic Church in Ogden.

[....]

Ostracized from family and friends, the Evans family moved to southern California in 1941. Jesuit Father Frank Parrish became Evans’ spiritual advisor, as she had previously witnessed in ecstasy. Fr. Parrish was best known in Catholic circles for his blessing of terminally ill Jesuit Father John A. Houle with the relic of Blessed Claude la Colombiere in 1990. This led to a miraculous cure and the canonization of Claude in 1992.

The whole article is here:

http://www.icatholic.org/article/cause- ... n--1481252

If the cause is approved, there would be a St. Cora of Midvale. (sounds funny, lol) Though, most likely she would be St. Cora of Santa Clara. That has better ring to it, St. Cora of St. Claire!

St. Claire, pray for us!

Wouldn't it be nice if religious folks from all walks of life could respect other people's decision to follow a different path according to their own consciences, without feeling the need to turn them into social lepers?

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:
There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:41 am 
God

I have gained much more than I have lost. I have found where I belong.

Peace.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:17 pm 
God

Wait, are you telling me a path leading away from the true fold and toward the whore of all the earth can lead to a miraculous cure?

The Holy Sacrament.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:51 pm 
Founder & Visionary

From the article about Utah Saints on Wikipedia, there already are two Utah Saints:

• Tim Garbutt, born 6 January 1969, and
  • Jez Willis, born 14 August 1968.

--ZelphtheGreat, 10/17/2013

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:27 pm 
Dr. Shades wrote:

From the article about Utah Saints on Wikipedia, there already are two Utah Saints:

• Tim Garbutt, born 6 January 1969, and
  • Jez Willis, born 14 August 1968.

I love their remake of that Kate Bush song.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:47 pm 
God

ha! I tell my husband I'm going to become a Saints fan just so I can plaster Saints all over my car.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:51 pm 
God

zeezrom wrote:
Wait, are you telling me a path leading away from the true fold and toward the whore of all the earth can lead to a miraculous cure?

Define "cure"

...just kidding.

But I wouldn't become Catholic for such material reasons such as that. :)

Peace.