It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 77  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mormon Apologetics & Misogyny: The Case of William Schry
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:02 am 
God

Things are not entirely going Schryver's way over on the MADboard. Here are the two latest comments:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/582 ... 1209140425

JNClone wrote:
This is quite a striking claim.

Indeed it is so striking that I think one might well want to go and look at the posts in which William Schryver discussed the character of Emma Smith. And what other people said in reply. That should, I think, help one to come to a decision about whether his account is plausible. It would also enable one to see what else he said about the wife of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I notice that he has only suggested that one epithet out of those posts was not in fact written by him, but was forged by a moderator, so the rest is presumably as he wrote it.

The results of such an inspection of his writing might well condition the degree of credit one felt that his posts merited in future.

And:

Bob Crockett wrote:
That is beyond belief. Particularly in the context of your other writings. But nobody's perfect. I'm not.

Maybe this time he has gone too far, even for his TBM audience? But no doubt the mods will step in soon to clean everything up.

That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:57 am 
God

Chap wrote:
Maybe this time he has gone too far, even for his TBM audience? But no doubt the mods will step in soon to clean everything up.
Good call, Chap. The posts you quoted are gone, and instead we are treated to this:
Nemesis wrote:
Obvious posters from MormonDiscussions.com. I am getting sick of this and will start banning accounts if you continue to try to derail threads like this. I left Will's response because he chose to address it. If I see this again on the open forums expect your account to be shut down.
Another indication of the degree to which the MD&D mods have become parodies of themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:13 am 
God

Bret Ripley wrote:
Chap wrote:
Good call, Chap. The posts you quoted are gone, and instead we are treated to this:

Nemesis wrote:
Obvious posters from MormonDiscussions.com. I am getting sick of this and will start banning accounts if you continue to try to derail threads like this. I left Will's response because he chose to address it. If I see this again on the open forums expect your account to be shut down.

Another indication of the degree to which the MD&D mods have become parodies of themselves.

You couldn't make it up! People like Schryver can now only find a safe haven in the zoo park for endangered Mopologetic species that is the MADboard, since the loggers have moved in on their last wild forest habitat at the Maxwell Institute.

But someone still steps up to the line and posts:

Bob Crockett wrote:
I am not an obvious poster from MormonDiscussions.com. But I have no problem leaving.

Will they ban him too?

That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:17 am 
God

Deleted from the MADBoard:

Quote:
CASteinman wrote:

When you say "silly" and "embarassing" do you mean that you feel silly and embarrassed? Or do you mean that it is objectively and intrinsically silly and embarrassing? If the former, why is your internal sense of things better than, say, mine? If the latter, what is your objective standard of "silly" and what is your objective standard of "embarrassing"? Do you have a reasonable sample of example apologetics from NAMIRS that is silly and embarrassing?

When I say "embarrassing", I mean just that. Some of the material written and posted on the internet by Mormon Apologists is (or should be) embarrassing to them, their readers, and the Church they claim to represent.

You asked for examples. Here is but one of very many: On Friday Apr 01, 2011, at 5:05 pm MST, William Schryver posted the following on the Board that Shall Not be Named:

Will Schryver wrote:
I stand corrected. I did not recall having said that (although I do recall having thought it on occasion).

So, I am guilty of calling Emma Smith a champion ____.

Certainly a little harsh on my part. I sincerely apologize to Emma. Upon reflection, I would merely say she was an emotionally volatile, high-maintenance woman who would have been a royal pain in the ass to deal with as a wife, and I admire Joseph Smith all the more for having put up with her all those years.

Still waiting on the "whore" and "slut" evidence ..

Here we have a self-described soon to be published LDS Apologist characterizing the (first) wife of Joseph Smith Jr. as a “champion ____”. It is embarrassing to say the least and certainly not representative of what most Mormons who know about apologetics would expect from those who engage in it.

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:22 am 
God

Was that posted just before the other deletions? I did not see it.

But the nice thing is that the moderators over there know what Schryver actually posted, since it is hard to delete a post without reading it ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:30 am 
God

Chap wrote:

It was up on CA Steinmsan's Thread earlier this evening (my time). More than that I do not know. I am in Oman with few Internet resources and have apparently been banned (at least temporarily) over at MDD.

Quote:
But the nice thing is that the moderators over there know what Schryver actually posted, since it is hard to delete a post without reading it ...

Doesn't seem to prevent them from banning people who dare to post evidence of Schryver's misdeeds and less than honest behavior.

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:40 am 
God

DrW wrote:
Chap wrote:

It was up on CA Steinmsan's Thread earlier this evening (my time). More than that I do not know. I am in Oman with few Internet resources and have apparently been banned (at least temporarily) over at MDD.

Quote:

Doesn't seem to prevent them from banning people who dare to post evidence of Schryver's misdeeds and less than honest behavior.

It seems that this refers to you:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/582 ... ge__st__60

Quote:
Posted Today, 08:17 AM
First Victim! Anyone else willing to take a hit for MormonDiscussions.com?

Nemesis

You get a Purple Heart, it seems.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:31 am 
God

Too bad I can't eat popcorn.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:46 am 
God

Of course, if brave, virile William Schryver came over here and posted his version of things, he could show us how right he is in a brace of shakes.

(He could keep copies of all his posts to make sure they weren't altered after the event, of course.)

But you know what? He is a weak-chinned and basically cowardly guy hiding behind a beard, and is scared witless that the girls here will be rude to him. So we shan't be seeing him around.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:58 am 
God

MDD is banning people for calling Schryver on his lies. Just when you think they couldn't sink any lower. :lol:

"¡No contaban con mi astucia!" -- El Chapulin Colorado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:03 pm 
God

beastie wrote:
Too bad I can't eat popcorn.
No worries: I brought a veggie platter.

I was one of the non-LDS mods for the now-defunct soc.religion.Mormon, which at the time had a reputation for draconian moderation policies. But SRM mod policy was all rainbows and kittens compared to the juvenile churlishness that passes for moderation at MD&D.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:23 pm 
θεά

I checked the post from JNClone when Chap first noted it on this thread, because I was curious to know if it was an MDBer who had just registered an account there for the purpose of contradicting William. S/he had over 549 posts at Mormon Dialogue & Discussion Board.

"Obvious MormonDiscussions.com poster"? Yeah right.

Bob Loblaw wrote:
MDD is banning people for calling Schryver on his lies. Just when you think they couldn't sink any lower. :lol:

I'm not surprised in the least. They always were bizarrely protective of his misogyny.

I should find time to update this thread this week, and I'll be documenting everyone who is defending this stuff.

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:40 pm 
God

We have this from Scott Barton at 11:35 today:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/582 ... 1209140527

Quote:
For my own benefit (and perhaps for the benefit of any others who may be similarly unclear on what exactly constitutes objectionable posting in this thread), am I to understand that responding to Will's post (which has been permitted to remain) will be considered a derailment punishable by account deactivation? Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Respectfully,
Scott

I suspect that even this modest request may meet with a ban.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:05 pm 
First Presidency

Chap wrote:
I suspect that even this modest request may meet with a ban.

I'm inclined to agree. Scott Barton has made only 3 posts: one questioning a mod, one embedding a Tim Minchin video, and one suggesting that DCP use his blog instead of the MADhouse to ____ about his critics. (And, if I'm not mistaken, Scott Barton was the name of a prominent poster during the whole Time Lightbox fiasco.)

Scott Barton is done for.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:13 pm 
God

At 12:09 we see:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/582 ... 1209140527

Teancum wrote:
Wow! This is simply not the truth. Not at all. I simply am amazed at the hubris of this claim.

Teancum has 2,448 posts on the MADboard. Will they ban him too?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:17 pm 
God

But now Teancum has edited his post to:

Quote:
Deleted based on moderators point above.

That edit was done at 12:11. So thanks to my having looked at the board during those 2 minutes, we know what Teancum thinks about Schryver.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:41 pm 
God

Teancum at 12:17 commenting on Scott Barton:

Quote:
Yes a clarification would help since I deleted a response I made to Will's extrordinary claim and deleted it based on the moderators comment which I saw after the fact.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:58 pm 
Deacon

Chap wrote:

They already knew about the Emma Smith comment. I brought it up about a year ago or so ago when Will made a similar challenge regarding his posting history.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:02 pm 
God

mercyngrace wrote:

They already knew about the Emma Smith comment. I brought it up about a year ago or so ago when Will made a similar challenge regarding his posting history.

Did Will deny calling Emma a ____ at that time?

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:09 pm 
Deacon

beastie wrote:
mercyngrace wrote:

No. He did note that he had already apologized for doing so.

Calling him out landed me the fabulous prize of a several day long PM exchange with another board regular who called me to repentance for not being loyal.

Last edited by mercyngrace on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:11 pm 
God

beastie wrote:
mercyngrace wrote:

I bet not. He probably did not think he could get away with it. But given the paranoia and conspiracy theories currently sweeping the apologist camp in the wake of their loss of the Maxwell Institute, he probably thought it might be worth launching a conspiracy theory of his own.

And to judge from the immediate protection afforded him by the MADmods, he may have guessed right at least as far as the Endangered Apologists Conservation Zoo is concerned.

Edited to add: I see from mercyandgrace that I bet right!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 77  Next