It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Was no answer a seminal event in Mormon apologetics?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:32 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 5:16 pm
Posts: 13319
McKay Jones wrote:
......critics and malcontents..... Critics and malcontents.....Critics and malcontents.....


I would like to thank McKay Jones for reminding everyone that anyone who ceases believing in the faith-promoting narrative of the LDS Church does so because of sin, being offended, or some other personal shortcoming. It is impossible for anyone to lose his or her faith for any other reason, because the truthfulness of the LDS Church is so obviously self-evident.

As someone who attempted to justify my loss of faith specifically because I cherry-picked certain quotes suggesting that Brigham H. Roberts had lost his own testimony, clearly I have now been put in my place.


Last edited by Darth J on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Was no answer a seminal event in Mormon apologetics?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:34 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 5:16 pm
Posts: 13319
bcspace wrote:
Quote:
He had only his wits and knowledge of the history of the Church with which to begin answering those questions that stumped him.


He certainly didn't have the advantage of an ever shrinking list of criticisms and "anachronisms" with no archeological or anthropological answer.


The Mormon Apologetics Articles of Faith

9. If you can find any parallel at all between an alleged group of ancient people and a real group of ancient people, no matter how distant or unrelated the parallel and the two groups, you can claim to have shown circumstantial evidence that the alleged ancient group of people really existed without needing to show any evidence that the alleged ancient group and the real ancient group ever actually interacted with each other.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Was no answer a seminal event in Mormon apologetics?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:06 pm
Posts: 16339
Location: Northern Virginia
Darth J wrote:
I would like to thank McKay Jones for reminding everyone that anyone who cease belief in the faith-promoting narrative of the LDS Church does so because of sin, being offended, or some other personal shortcoming. It is impossible for anyone to lose his or her faith for any other reason, because the truthfulness of the LDS Church is so obviously self-evident.

As someone who attempted to justify my loss of faith specifically because I cherry-picked certain quotes suggesting that Brigham H. Roberts had lost his own testimony, clearly I have now been put in my place.


I'm the best of both worlds: a critic and a malcontent. The only way life could get any better would be to drag more people into the misery I have found.

Isn't it marvelous?

_________________
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Was no answer a seminal event in Mormon apologetics?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:37 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 5:16 pm
Posts: 13319
Runtu wrote:
Darth J wrote:
I would like to thank McKay Jones for reminding everyone that anyone who cease belief in the faith-promoting narrative of the LDS Church does so because of sin, being offended, or some other personal shortcoming. It is impossible for anyone to lose his or her faith for any other reason, because the truthfulness of the LDS Church is so obviously self-evident.

As someone who attempted to justify my loss of faith specifically because I cherry-picked certain quotes suggesting that Brigham H. Roberts had lost his own testimony, clearly I have now been put in my place.


I'm the best of both worlds: a critic and a malcontent. The only way life could get any better would be to drag more people into the misery I have found.

Isn't it marvelous?


If?


IF???????

By posting your criticisms on the internet, you are no different than the garment-waving lunatics who protest outside Temple Square and the Trophy Building!

ETA: I looked it up, and apparently the LDS Church prefers to refer to the Trophy Building as the "Conference Center."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Was no answer a seminal event in Mormon apologetics?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:40 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:06 pm
Posts: 16339
Location: Northern Virginia
Darth J wrote:

If?


IF???????

By posting your criticisms on the internet, you are no different than the garment-waving lunatics who protest outside Temple Square and the Trophy Building!


Only I'm worse. At least the garment-wavers are up front about their goals and motivations. They haven't learned the patented Runtu Method(TM). I'm developing a set of instructional DVDs to help train the forces of darkness (only 3 payments of $19.95, and you get a free "I'm bitter" t-shirt).

_________________
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Was no answer a seminal event in Mormon apologetics?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:52 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:33 pm
Posts: 12064
Location: Kli-flos-is-es
McKay Jones wrote:
In other words, we don't have Roberts' words at all, we have Lloyd's journal representation of the conversation, a second-hand source.


Since the Book of Mormon was "translated" by a second hand source and written down by a third hand source, how many grains of salt should we take while reading it?

_________________
Parley P. Pratt wrote:
We must lie to support brother Joseph, it is our duty to do so.

B.R. McConkie, © Intellectual Reserve wrote:
There are those who say that revealed religion and organic evolution can be harmonized. This is both false and devilish.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Meadowchik and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group