Family Proclamation to the Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

marg wrote:
JAK wrote:

China has restrictions on number of kids. And, the government enforces it. Boys are favored.

It is one way of controlling population growth.

I mentioned overpopulation to Gaz, because I think for most Mormons they are encouraged by the church to think that getting married and having large families is a good moral thing to do. For the betterment of the world it may not be.

by the way, my husband's younger brother adopted 2 girls from China.

marg,

If you don't mind answering, are these fairly recent adoptions and what age are the girls now?

Jersey Girl

(Asking because I have something for you to share with them if you're interested)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

There have been sociological studies that have shown that children raised by homosexual parents tend to be just as well developed as hetero parents. Many times better due to several factors. Since you cannot "accidently" have a child, same sex parents tend to be older and more secure in their jobs. Since any children must be adopted, they are generaly more completely planned for with their raising. And if your worried about more children becoming homosexual, multiple studies on the subject have clearly shown that there is exactly the same rate of homosexuality as with hetro parents.

I used to be against same sex parents untill i bothered to do even a little bit of research. When you get right down to it, same sex parents tend to do just as well as hetero parents. The only problem that seems to arise on a regular basis is that people tend to show discrimination and hate towards both the couples and their children. Not cool.

Theres also the very easily shown issue that the "traditional family unit" has changed almost continualy throughout recorded history. So this current trend/change is par for the course of child rearing changes of history.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Re: Family Proclamation to the Church

Post by _Roger Morrison »

moksha wrote:On the Mormon Issues forum of Beliefnet, Bill, one of our resident philosophers over there has issued his Family Proclamation to the Church:

A PROCLAMATION TO THE CHURCH

We solemnly proclaim that romantic love between two people is a good thing and that their familial arrangements are their own business.

All human beings, regardless of gender or orientation, are beloved spirits with their own divine nature and destiny. Gender and orientations are natural gifts, giving each individual a special identity and purpose.

The image of Adam and Eve, being commanded to "multiply and replenish the earth," presents a limited view of the potential and dignity of each individual whose value is not to be determined by his or her capacity to breed. We declare that any organization which honors polygamy - secret, in violation of the law, to persons already married to someone else as well as to children - is in no position to judge the family relationships of others.

Parents have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children, to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Parents are responsible for the discharge of these obligations - including the obligation to make every child feel loved.

Families are important. Children are better served when their parents remain together, but the definition of family has more to do with function than form. Single parents are not necessarily bad parents, nor are dual parents necessarily good. What matters most is that children are protected from abuse and neglect - and surrounded by those who love them dearly.

We warn that well-intended church folk who arrogantly denigrate familial relationships that differ from their own - or who violate the dignity of persons whose orientation differs from their own - are accountable for the violence and hardship that results from the intolerant attitudes they help foster.

We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote the separation of Church and state, as well as to maintain the rights and dignity of all persons within society.

What are your impressions?

I think Bill has a noble intent that could be expanded upon...

When i read the LDS FP, it appears they too have noble intent. Albeit a very narrow interpretation of family that tends to be in denial of the unsuccess of traditional 'familyism'.

Familyism hasn't ideally been that successful through the centuries except to propogate, indoctrinate and nationalize tribes. The perpetuation of such seems to be the intent of LDSism...

With a mind-set that refuses to see modification and adaptation to new conditions and circumstance, LDS, and others, seem "Hell-bent" (literally?) on trying to make the unworkable patriarchial model work beyond the ineffectiveness it has traditionally delivered in its efforts to build 'love-at-home', and justice in society...

I would have expected revelatory intelligence to do more... Maybe some day??? What do You think Mok? Warm regards, Roger
_Fortigurn
_Emeritus

Post by _Fortigurn »

Sono_hito wrote:There have been sociological studies that have shown that children raised by homosexual parents tend to be just as well developed as hetero parents.

For a given value of 'well developed', perhaps.

Many times better due to several factors. Since you cannot "accidently" have a child, same sex parents tend to be older and more secure in their jobs. Since any children must be adopted, they are generaly more completely planned for with their raising.

It's not a case of them being 'many times better', it's a matter of these factors contributing to the elimination of children being placed in dysfunctional families. It's not that the homosexual parents are doing spectacularly better than the heterosexual biological parents, it's a matter of children being kept out of the hands of dysfunctional homosexual parents.

If we had laws in place which kept children out of the hands of hereosexual biological parents, we'd see a significant improvement in the general welfare of children belonging to heterosexual biological parents. But it wouldn't be because heterosexual biological parents have suddenly lifted their game, it would be an artificial result of keeping the children out of the hands of the dysfunctional parents.

You also need to compare homosexual adoptive parents with hereosexual adoptive parents, and compare hereosexual adoptive parents with heterosexual biological parents. You need to include all relevant factors, such as demographic data, psychological history, and relationship history. Then you can start to draw meaningful conclusions.

And if your worried about more children becoming homosexual, multiple studies on the subject have clearly shown that there is exactly the same rate of homosexuality as with hetro parents.

Again, you need to explain all the factors involved.

When you get right down to it, same sex parents tend to do just as well as hetero parents.

Well we haven't seen that yet.

Theres also the very easily shown issue that the "traditional family unit" has changed almost continualy throughout recorded history.

What do you mean that 'the "traditional family unit" has changed almost continualy throughout recorded history'?

So this current trend/change is par for the course of child rearing changes of history.

A change isn't necessarily a good change. The post-modern nuclear family is largely a complete mess. This is surprising, since it's based on all those great ideas which people 40 years ago said were going to be so good for society, and result in such great improvements. Now we have high schools equipped with armed security guards and metal detectors, and record high levels of teen depression and suicide, neither of which have any precedent in recorded human history.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what people were aiming at when they argued it wasn't important for parents to spend time with their children, and that divorce and single parenthood have no significant effect on child psychology. But hey, we all have our human rights, yeah? And they've done wonders for families, haven't they? Absolute miracles. I'm so impressed. More human rights, I say.
Lazy research debunked: bcspace x 4 | maklelan x 3 | Coggins7 x 5 (by Mr. Coffee x5) | grampa75 x 1 | whyme x 2 | rcrocket x 2 | Kerry Shirts x 1 | Enuma Elish x 1|