Protesters at BYU get the Brown Shirt treatment

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Protesters at BYU get the Brown Shirt treatment

Post by _Mercury »

for Digg users:
http://digg.com/politics/Free_Speech_Cl ... U#c6017387

For the Article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bryan-you ... 45032.html

Hey Mormons, What if Mormon missionaries were told you could only tract for two hours, couldn't use the standard means of getting your point acrost and at the end of the day the police would come and confiscate your handouts like the videos, pamphlets and those craptastic copies of the Book of Mormon?

Life it seems continues to be bizarro world on the BYU campus.
Last edited by FAST Enterprise [Crawler] on Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Thanks so much for posting this. The thread at MAD did not list these pertinent items.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

Yesterday I stared at my screen in total disbelief at the description of the suits collecting all of the protest signs to keep in a safe place until the next designated protest. I was able to accept the whole permit for a protest thing - this is a private university, after all. The prohibition on shouting and bullhorns was a bit weird, but again: BYU. But then to have the hall monitors come in their suits and earpieces and collect all the signs and such?? Really??

Check out some follow-up from the documentarian's blog:

http://thisdividedstate.blogspot.com/20 ... ouder.html

And to think, I've got two stoopid degrees from that place.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

From the link by Why Me:

BYU Democrats President, Diane Bailey, was applauded by BYU President, Cecil Samuelson for her efforts to keep yesterday's on-campus protest civil and respectful. Other students' questions were ignored outright as Samuelson found them to be redundant, uninformed, or offensive in nature. He took special offense to a question by one student as to why his sign had been taken away following yesterday's protest, refusing to answer. But Samuelson was generally pleasant and warmed to some easier questions like "How did you become so successful?" and "Will you attend our club party?"
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

Im suprised they even got away with what little they did.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Bryan Inks
_Emeritus

Post by _Bryan Inks »

If you guys want, I can keep you all updated on this situation. I'm best friends with two of the three guys that are organizing this sequel.

I did get an email from them last night (same guys that run the huffington) and several of the camera crews that have been fielded were threatened with lawsuits and rumor has it that there has been an unofficial "We'll pink-slip your ass" to some of the faculty members who are participating/assisting our documentarians.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Please, do so.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Bryan Inks wrote:If you guys want, I can keep you all updated on this situation. I'm best friends with two of the three guys that are organizing this sequel.

I did get an email from them last night (same guys that run the huffington) and several of the camera crews that have been fielded were threatened with lawsuits and rumor has it that there has been an unofficial "We'll pink-slip your ass" to some of the faculty members who are participating/assisting our documentarians.

Your tithing dollar at work. Repression, threats, confiscating others' property. *sigh*
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

harmony wrote:
Bryan Inks wrote:If you guys want, I can keep you all updated on this situation. I'm best friends with two of the three guys that are organizing this sequel.

Your tithing dollar at work. Repression, threats, confiscating others' property. *sigh*

I can see the COB's disclaimer here:

"Rest assured my fellow Saints, no tithing funds were used to suppress freedom of political speech at BYU."
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."