Missionaries in the Shower

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Trinity wrote:
when I was there, the newest missionary dormitory had separate stalls. I think the idea behind the tree of life in the MTC is to prevent missionaries from masturbating, but I could be wrong.

LOL. The perils of creating a missionary workforce at their most virule, sexually awakening stage of life! You give them a cubicle, they masturbate. You give them communal showers you run the risk of awakening those latent homosexual feelings.

Maybe they should go for an all-senior citizen missionary force.

Is masturbation why they wouldn't make an MTC with private showers? Somehow I wouldn't be surprised. I'm sure the sisters enjoy a higher degree of modesty. That seems to be the norm in most public bathroom arrangements. My first thought that is that the shower was built this way initially simply for reasons of cost. I always wondered why they had to cram all 6 of us with our two years worth of luggage into a room built for 2 people. When I was there, one Elder spent his nights on the floor in the hall. The other five kicked him out due to his snoring.

What I remember more than the arrangement was the temperature. We didn't have hot water the last week I was there in late November. Rolling in the snow with a bar of soap would have been warmer. Then I almost got sent home from my entire mission for touching the basketball rim as I warmed up to play. The constant guilt trips and inquisitions probably could have convinced Saint Peter himself he was bound for hell. Sleep deprivation seemed to be the biggest part of it all. Oh the MTC, not sure I could ever force myself to go back there willingly.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I was at the MTC over Christmas, we had a great time.

We did get in trouble for having a vitamin war, those little white pills were everywhere. I was still finding them in my luggage after I got home.

I remember L. Tom Perry coming to visit over Christmas. There was a Tongan missionary who sat two rows in front, I think he was like 7 feet tall 600 pounds. I don't know what his suit was made out of, something exotic.

I had a good time at the MTC.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

Sethbag wrote:I think this topic is really gay, if you'll excuse the pun. Any guy who didn't grow up in a cave or in Amish country has showered with other guys. Showers in High School, at my school, were communal in nature. In the barracks at Basic Training in the Army they were communal, at BYU they were communal, at every single gym except one that I've ever been to they've been communal, etc. To argue that there's something wrong, or homosexual, with guys showering around a central pillar with multiple shower heads sticking out from it is pretty dumb. At least until recently it's been pretty much the de facto standard across America for male locker rooms., and anyone who has a problem with that I think has an overdeveloped sense of body shame or something like that.

There is a lot to reproach the LDS church about. Male missionaries at the MTC seeing each others' wee-wees in the communal shower area is not one of them.

Actualy, i never have showered with another dude. Girlfriend, sure. Even in highschool no one ever used the shower stalls. They toweled off the sweat and changed clothes. And if i go to the gym, i wait till i get home and shower. Body shame was hammered into me at a young age, and aside from close relationships with a few women, i have never been comfortable naked around other people.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Sono_hito wrote:Even in highschool no one ever used the shower stalls. They toweled off the sweat and changed clothes. And if I go to the gym, I wait till I get home and shower.

Man, I'd hate to ever wander downwind of your school. When I was in high school (back when dinosaurs roamsed the football field), our coaches made sure we showered after PE and after sports events/practices. If anything, it's good hygien.

Sono_hito wrote:Body shame was hammered into me at a young age, and aside from close relationships with a few women, I have never been comfortable naked around other people.

Join the military, they'll break you of that notion real quick like.

As to the topic...

Anyone that thinks communial showers equate homosexuality is more retarded then the gold, silver, and bronze medalists at the Special Olympics. What makes a person gay isn't the shower arangments, and I'd be inclined to say that anyone who believes such probably has something very FAAAAAAAAAABULOUS lurking in the back of their closet behind the leasure suits.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....