It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: USU78 Descends into Utter Insanity
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:08 am 
God

Kishkumen wrote:
Simon Belmont wrote:
Oh now, come on. Wasted your time? We have a lot in common, Kishkumen. There is hope for me yet.

Simon, an intellectually honest scholar, whether amateur or professional, criticizes works he has read. The fact that you go on about Quinn and Metcalfe, when you haven't even read their writings, is repellent. You really ought to be ashamed of yourself, and I am not joking in the least.

I have to echo Kish, here. I don't know what else I have to say about it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:41 am 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Simon Belmont wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Where? Where did I say that I planned to do that? And why is it that you think that "there is no way" to find out who you are via a phone call or two? Or a series of emails? That just doesn't make sense, Simon.

It is an intimidation tactic that you often use. It is part of the game that you play here, and it will not work on me.

"Intimidation" isn't my intention at all, Simon! I just want to get at the truth of the matter. That's all.

Quote:
Quote:
In fact, there are a lot of things about your story that don't add up. E.g., you at first claimed to be the IT director, only to later backpedal

If you think backpedaling is what I did, perhaps you should make yourself familiar with the term. I am an IT director.

Simon: you said you were the IT Director. That would naturally lead one to assume that you are/were the Big Boss, the Head Cheese, etc. Now it turns out that this isn't the case at all.

Were you careless with your words? Or were you being dishonest?

Quote:
Quote:
I noticed, too, on your Amplus Thread, that Sock Puppet asked you if you knew "David Taylor." You answered, "No," which in retrospect seems really strange, since "David Taylor" is the CIO and VP of [deleted]. At the very least, you'd know who he was.

Did I say that I did not know who he was? Before you answer, you might want to read the thread in question.

I did read the thread. I phrased my inquiry here exactly as it should have been phrased. You're dodging yet again. And your behavior was extremely odd. You immediately installed "David Taylor" as a Professor at Amplus, and then later, inexplicably, you deleted his name from the faculty listing on the Amplus site. (He complained about it later in the thread.)

How are we supposed to interpret your erratic and problematic behavior, Simon? Are you so hell-bent on exacting revenge on critics that you would stoop to dragging an innocent company ([deleted]) into your story-telling?

Quote:
Quote:
So, were you lying? That certainly seems to be the case.

Here's a little exercise for you, Scratch. Go back and see if I ever stated that I lived in Stamford, before you told me I lived in Stamford. Go ahead... the answer may reveal more about you than you realize.

As I recall, I said something to the effect that I was under the impression that you lived in the Stamford, CT area. Why don't *you* go back and see what I wrote? Soon after I made that observation, you deleted "New England" from the "location" listing on your avatar, which I suppose is yet another addition to your bizarrely paranoid antics.

Quote:
Quote:
No, Simon---*you* were the one who brought it up.

The only thing I brought up was that I was an IT guy. Then I said that [deleted] was really nice.

And you told Liz that you're the "IT Director" at Stamford Hospital---something which, increasingly, is seeming like a whopper of a tall tale. (Plus you've been boasting that it's "unverifiable." My, how convenient for you!)

Quote:
Quote:
There's a difference between laying out a hypothetical scenario vs. making a threat. But your paranoia has been duly noted.

Your childish intimidation tactics are duly noted.

Oh, I'm not trying to intimidate you at all! I promise, Simon. I'm just trying to get at the truth. If you feel "intimidated," then you have my utmost and heartfelt apologies, because that wasn't my intention at all.

Quote:
Quote:
Sure. I'll do that right after you post an abstract for one of your Joseph Smith articles.

They aren't yet published. Yours are. There is a difference. Perhaps you'd like to remove the "75 articles published" bullcrap from your blog, then.

I think my terms are reasonable, Simon. If you don't want to put up the abstract, then I guess you must not want to see the articles.

Quote:
Edit: I've been patiently awaiting mine for some time now. You are really slow! MST is beating you by leaps and bounds.

Sure, Simon. Send me an IRL picture of yourself and I'll have your entry finished by the end of the day. You have my word on that.

Quote:
Quote:
P.p.s. Did that quote I posted ring any bells for you?

No, because there wasn't a question in it.

Did you make the quote, Simon? If you did, it would explain a lot. For example, it would explain why you didn't go on a mission.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:36 pm 
Kishkumen wrote:
That's pretty damned unimpressive, Simon, especially given the fact that you have been smearing Metcalfe for so long now. And your attitudes and beliefs about Quinn are indefensible given your complete lack of familiarity with his work. You would not let that kind of ignorance slide in an anti-Mormon. How hypocritical of you!

Calm down. Metcalfe and I go way back, I have read his posts for many years, and I have read a book which was edited by him. I have a right to criticize him, just as he believes he has a right to criticize Mormonism.

Quote:
Woe betide the anti-Mormon who admits that he has read maybe one book about Joseph Smith and presumes to criticize "the Prophet"! Right? But here is Simon with his puny bibliography and suddenly he is an expert judge of the character and scholarship of these men. Stunningly appalling, Simon.

Do you imagine that I listed my entire life-long reading list, Kishkumen? I have read enough Metcalfe over the years to know what his MO is, and to criticize him if he criticized my faith. If he can't handle it, I know of one sure way to make it stop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:49 pm 
God

Simon Belmont wrote:
Do you imagine that I listed my entire life-long reading list, Kishkumen? I have read enough Metcalfe over the years to know what his MO is, and to criticize him if he criticized my faith. If he can't handle it, I know of one sure way to make it stop.

Just out of curiosity, can you please describe Brent's MO?

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:44 pm 
God

Simon Belmont wrote:
Do you imagine that I listed my entire life-long reading list, Kishkumen?

Why not give us at least a few ideas about what's on there, then? At least, that way none of us will be so shocked to find you arguing about things you've never looked at.

Quote:
I have read enough Metcalfe over the years to know what his MO is, and to criticize him if he criticized my faith.

You've mentioned one book he co-edited. Where is this other study taking place? You're talking about message boards, right?

Quote:
If he can't handle it, I know of one sure way to make it stop.

I'm guessing, at least I hope and pray I'm right, that you have no idea how unbalanced that sentence makes you sound. You know how it reads to me? Psycho-level scary. Enough to make me think very carefully about ever having any interaction with you again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:16 pm 
God

Blixa wrote:
Simon Belmont wrote:

Why not give us at least a few ideas about what's on there, then? At least, that way none of us will be so shocked to find you arguing about things you've never looked at.

Quote:
I have read enough Metcalfe over the years to know what his MO is, and to criticize him if he criticized my faith.

You've mentioned one book he co-edited. Where is this other study taking place? You're talking about message boards, right?

Quote:
If he can't handle it, I know of one sure way to make it stop.

I'm guessing, at least I hope and pray I'm right, that you have no idea how unbalanced that sentence makes you sound. You know how it reads to me? Psycho-level scary. Enough to make me think very carefully about ever having any interaction with you again.

Deliberately ambiguous? or just thoughtless?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:20 pm 
God

Simon Belmont wrote:
Calm down. Metcalfe and I go way back, I have read his posts for many years, and I have read a book which was edited by him. I have a right to criticize him, just as he believes he has a right to criticize Mormonism.

You "go way back", Metcalf and yourself ehh? I remember him, on these very boards asking you to write a private correspondance to reveal who you were, and in essence, to stop bothering him.

So, when you say "go way back", you aren't saying you are friends, acquaintances or anything of the sort, but rather, more along the lines of you being an unwanted stalker?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:25 pm 
Seedy Academician

Simon Belmont wrote:

Shove your patronizing "calm down" up your rear end, Simon. I don't give a crap whether you and Metcalfe "go way back," that you have "read his posts," or that you have further gone the completely unimpressive lengths of reading one volume he edited. You're an ignoramus who is taking people to task who have done far more than you to grapple with the material at issue, and you don't even bother to scrutinize their arguments properly before you tangle with them.

Simon, I read the FROB. I read articles in the JBMORS. I have familiarized myself with the apologetic writings of Daniel Peterson, Louis Midgley, Bill Hamblin, et al. In other words, I am not going out half-cocked and braying out of my rear end when I have not in fact done the leg work. I read the recent MMM book before I criticized it. Your pathetic display of "learning" shows me that you don't know crap, and yet you have the temerity to express your uninformed and utterly fatuous opinions about it. You are nothing but a Mopologetic mynah bird.

You have lost what little respect I had for you. The president of Amplus University is a living insult to the academy. If you had a shred of decency, you would take a break from the board to acquire an education on the issues you pretend to be informed about, and then return to provide something substantive.

At least a guy like Joseph doesn't pretend to be something he isn't. You, sir, are a complete phony.

"I don't profess to be such a Prophet as were Joseph Smith and Daniel; but I am a Yankee guesser." ~Brigham Young

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:47 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Blixa wrote:
Simon Belmont wrote:

I can practically intuit what he's going to say:

Simon Belmont wrote:
I don't have to do any actual reading. I've heard what the apologists have said, and that's enough for me. I'm a TBM, so I prefer to let others do my thinking for me. Mindless obedience has worked so well for me to this point, so why change?

And btw: check out my sig line if you what to understand Elder Belmont's modus operandi.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:06 am 
God

Belmont
Quote:
And, by the way, as a techie, I have your IP address, along with everyone else's here.

I don't believe that's true. How could you possibly have every IP address from this board?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:20 am 
God

Simon Belmont wrote:
I have a right to criticize him, just as he believes he has a right to criticize Mormonism.

Wait a minute. This sentence is unbalanced. You say you have the right to criticize an individualbecause said individual criticizes an institution to which you belong. If this was balanced it would read that you have the right to criticize an individual because the individual has criticized you as an individual (which hasn't happened), OR you have the right to criticize that individual's institution because that individual criticizes your institution (which you haven't done).

You don't have the right to criticize him. You have the right to criticize his criticism of your institution.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:23 am 
God

harmony wrote:
You don't have the right to criticize him. You have the right to criticize his criticism of your institution.

Some people take criticism of the institution as personal criticism. Weird, but true.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:29 am 
God

Kishkumen wrote:
Simon Belmont wrote:

Shove your patronizing "calm down" up your rear end, Simon. I don't give a crap whether you and Metcalfe "go way back," that you have "read his posts," or that you have further gone the completely unimpressive lengths of reading one volume he edited. You're an ignoramus who is taking people to task who have done far more than you to grapple with the material at issue, and you don't even bother to scrutinize their arguments properly before you tangle with them.

Simon, I read the FROB. I read articles in the JBMORS. I have familiarized myself with the apologetic writings of Daniel Peterson, Louis Midgley, Bill Hamblin, et al. In other words, I am not going out half-cocked and braying out of my rear end when I have not in fact done the leg work. I read the recent MMM book before I criticized it. Your pathetic display of "learning" shows me that you don't know crap, and yet you have the temerity to express your uninformed and utterly fatuous opinions about it. You are nothing but a Mopologetic mynah bird.

You have lost what little respect I had for you. The president of Amplus University is a living insult to the academy. If you had a shred of decency, you would take a break from the board to acquire an education on the issues you pretend to be informed about, and then return to provide something substantive.

At least a guy like Joseph doesn't pretend to be something he isn't. You, sir, are a complete phony.

I think you enjoy having Simon around, so you can sneer at him in your peculiarly condescending way. In terms of what I call the pathétique ratio, or the obvious educational attainment of a poster divided by the inverse proportion of silly time spent with this board, you take the cake over Mr. Simon.

Last edited by Yahoo Bot on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:31 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
Belmont
Quote:
And, by the way, as a techie, I have your IP address, along with everyone else's here.

I don't believe that's true. How could you possibly have every IP address from this board?

I must confess, I am beginning to feel deep skepticism about several aspects of Belmont. This is one of them: but of course I may be mistaken in my suspicions.

Let's do a test. Can Belmont send me a PM to tell me what city I am in at the moment? I'd be happy to confirm on the board whether he is right or not.

If it turns out that Belmont can find our IP addresses from this message board, may I say that its technology may be in need of improvement.

Christopher Ralph: The discovery that the creators of South Park place a higher value on historical authenticity than do the Brethren creates spiritual shock-waves from which some members never recover.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:32 am 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
I think you enjoy having Simon around, so you can sneer at him in your peculiarly condescending way.

... sneered Bob, in his peculiarly condescending way. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:36 am 
God

Runtu wrote:
Yahoo Bot wrote:
I think you enjoy having Simon around, so you can sneer at him in your peculiarly condescending way.

It is so obvious that I sneer; I don't attempt to hide it. I find your performance and that of Mr. Kish simply disgraceful as human beings and former or existing members of the Church.

The difference between me and Mr. Kish is that I don't hold any particular pretensions to intelligence, educational attainments or intellectual ability. But I can see what is sad and pathetic.

Back to work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:40 am 
God

Yahoo Bot wrote:
It is so obvious that I sneer; I don't attempt to hide it. I find your performance and that of Mr. Kish simply disgraceful as human beings and former or existing members of the Church.

The difference between me and Mr. Kish is that I don't hold any particular pretensions to intelligence, educational attainments or intellectual ability. But I can see what is sad and pathetic.

Back to work.

Great, now I'm disgraceful, pretentious, sad, and pathetic. Tell me something I didn't know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:43 am 
God

Runtu wrote:
Yahoo Bot wrote:

Yahoo Bot wrote:

Back to work.

Congratulations to Yahoo Bot for managing to avoid any references to the end-products of digestion in this post. It must have been a severe strain, but he did it!

Let that be an example to those others of us who have hard-to-break bad habits ...

Christopher Ralph: The discovery that the creators of South Park place a higher value on historical authenticity than do the Brethren creates spiritual shock-waves from which some members never recover.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:59 am 
Quote:

I had no malevolent intent with that sentence, I simply meant that the one sure way to stop people from needling him and criticizing him would be for him to stop provoking apologists by criticizing the CoJCoLDS.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:15 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
Belmont
Quote:

Chap wrote:
I must confess, I am beginning to feel deep skepticism about several aspects of Belmont. This is one of them: but of course I may be mistaken in my suspicions.

Let's do a test. Can Belmont send me a PM to tell me what city I am in at the moment? I'd be happy to confirm on the board whether he is right or not.

If it turns out that Belmont can find our IP addresses from this message board, may I say that its technology may be in need of improvement.

I see Belmont is online. So I repeat my little message in case he is able to prove his claim by answering my question.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:23 am 
Chap wrote:

I do not have everyone's IP addresses, I simply indicated that I have the ability to get them, as does everyone else.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next