PBS Documentary "The Mormons"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

PBS Documentary "The Mormons"

Post by _Mister Scratch »

A lot of buzz is in the air as of late regarding what is sure to be one of the most fascinating TV looks at the LDS Church ever. I know that I am extremely excited to see this film You can watch a trailer for it here:

http://www.pbs.org/Mormons/

I especially like all the brooding clouds in the background of various shots, and the ominous music. I think that these elements will definitely have the intended effect. I also thought it was interesting that the voice over labels the Church as "frightening" at one point.

Equally intriguing is the response from official channels, which can be read here:

click here

There seems to be some disagreement as to what constitutes a Mormon "stereotype." The TBM author of the article at the LDS Newsroom clearly feels that MMM and polygamy are "stereotypes." To my mind, however, the most prevalent stereotype of Mormons is the "squeaky-clean," white-shirted, Leave it to Beaver kind of whitewashed image. It will be interesting to see which "stereotype" Helen Whitney is actually seeking to "explode."
Last edited by Physics Guy on Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

From the LDS Newsroom article:

For instance, polygamy comes in for extensive treatment in the first program, including substantial attention to present-day polygamous groups that have nothing to do with today’s Church.

From whence did these present-day polygamous groups arise? Doesn't talking about LDS history involve discussing polygamy, its roots, and its impact? I understand that the modern LDS church has no affiliation with these groups, but it should not continue to side-step its role in their creation.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Not to mention the fact that the LDS church still believes and teaches polygamy is an eternal principle, engages in it, albeit a limited form, and while not officially practiced in an earthly sense, is very much believed a part of the CKHL!

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Just ask Russel M. Nelson how many women he's married to, for time and all eternity.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Sethbag wrote:Just ask Russel M. Nelson how many women he's married to, for time and all eternity.

Or, my father for that matter. He is also doing it the new, modern way.

It's funny. Over here on the continent, when I tell people I am from Utah, the first thing they ask me about is whether that is where all those funny people with lots of wives live.

The Mormon church is definitely not growing here.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Towards the end of the trailer, they brought up 'the temple'. I'll be interested in seeing how they cover this - will they talk about the masonic connections? the garments? the special clothing that is worn, the oaths, the changes over time, the penalties, etc.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

I just noticed a recent posting on the fittingly named MADboard in which DCP is beginning what appears to be a slow tactical retreat. Whereas in the beginning he was popping off about how The Mormons would be a great coup against critics of the Church (esp. his archnemesis Tal Bachman), he is now saying that the folks at Frontline are demanding more "negativity" (read: historical accuracy). It will be interesting to see if he performs a complete about-face upon the airing of the film. (Also, I wonder if FAIR/FARMS is going to "obtain" an advance copy, sort of like how they managed to score a copy of the EV DVD before it was scheduled to be distributed.)
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Who Knows wrote:Towards the end of the trailer, they brought up 'the temple'. I'll be interested in seeing how they cover this - will they talk about the masonic connections? the garments? the special clothing that is worn, the oaths, the changes over time, the penalties, etc.

Its Frontline and American Experience teaming up on subject matter. AE will give the fluffy cotton candy brand of Mormonism. Frontline will give the closer, reality based take.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

When is this thing scheduled to air?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Dr. Shades wrote:When is this thing scheduled to air?

April 30-May 1.