How Should One Handle Missionaries?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

truth dancer wrote:Hey James,

They're still volunteers right? So everything they get they could avoid by not going on a mission right?

Yes, they are volunteers and can avoid the not-so-great stuff.

Still... they truly believe they are doing God's will. That at least can be respected no?

Yes they should be respected. But can I respectfully ask them about Joseph Smith's polygamy if they come to my door?

Of course.....but should they have to listen to my comments and questions? If they waste five minutes of my time don't I have the right to waste five minutes of their time?

Well, if you don't want to engage in a conversation, just politely decline and no one's time is wasted. ;-)

It still takes time to politely decline. So say it takes 30 seconds to politely decline, am I justified asking a single question to the missionaries (rather than shotgunning questions)?

If they waste your time do you have the right to waste their time? Hmmmm this is a weird question.

People waste my time all the time. I have to wait too long on the phone, wait too long at the Dr.'s office, wait too long at the check out counter... I have never thought that it gives me the right to waste the time of those who wasted my time.

I think wasting time trying to go to the doctor or at a store isn't the same as being approached by someone selling a belief system.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: How Should One Handle Missionaries?

Post by _moksha »

GIMR wrote: I admit that yes, they do know me, yes, I'm the girl with the pretty voice who sang in sacrament a lot, and no, I'm not a member anymore.

How nice it would be if you could post an mp3 of cutie pie GIMR singing for us to hear.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Re: How Should One Handle Missionaries?

Post by _Sam Harris »

moksha wrote:
GIMR wrote: I admit that yes, they do know me, yes, I'm the girl with the pretty voice who sang in sacrament a lot, and no, I'm not a member anymore.

How nice it would be if you could post an mp3 of cutie pie GIMR singing for us to hear.

Hey Mok! I'd have to go play in my friend's studio one night. Perhaps this summer. I have a singing gig in three weeks, must get prepared, these don't come often, as I don't have contacts like that.

I was supposed to get a copy of the video taken from the wedding I sang at...oh well...
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi