Question about the DVD that's circulating

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Mister Scratch wrote:The "lengthy" FAIR article is nothing to brag about. It was obviously cobbled together in a real hurry ("Scotty Dog" Gordon and his pals needed to respond ASAP to their bootlegged copy of the DVD before the release date, after all), and basically seems to be a hack job. Perhaps they will clean it up in the future. Perhaps not. The bottomline is that the article is a smary, slipshod bit of apologetics that tries to sweep a lot of problems under the rug via the "this is old-fashioned, hackneyed anti-Mormonism" excuse. Not very impressive at all.

And linked to directly from LDS.Org, and why is that?

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:The "lengthy" FAIR article is nothing to brag about. It was obviously cobbled together in a real hurry ("Scotty Dog" Gordon and his pals needed to respond ASAP to their bootlegged copy of the DVD before the release date, after all), and basically seems to be a hack job. Perhaps they will clean it up in the future. Perhaps not. The bottomline is that the article is a smary, slipshod bit of apologetics that tries to sweep a lot of problems under the rug via the "this is old-fashioned, hackneyed anti-Mormonism" excuse. Not very impressive at all.

Jersey Girl

Well, it must mean that the LDS Church and FAIR are far more closely "affiliated" than Scott Gordon, John Lynch, Daniel C. Peterson, and other apologists would like us to believe. This seems to me to be a very good piece of evidence that FAIR is actively working for the LDS Church. I hope somebody starts a thread about this on the fittingly named MADboard. I would be most interested in seeing the apologists try to wiggle free of this one. You may have caught them with their pants down, Jersey Girl!
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Have not watched nor do I plan to. FAIR has a fairly lengthy review of it though

Why not examine it for yourself?

First of all I only perused the FAIR response, Second, I have seen hundreds if not thousands of examples of Evangelical proselyte to and about LDS things. I have no issue with EVs doing this if they wish to. Personally it astounds me that they can use what they think are good arguments full of critical thinking to critique another's faith but fail to see that using the same techniques could well undermine their own.

It is a never ending circle. Both groups operate on their a priori assumptions. Both believe the other is wrong and they are right. I understand both sides of the theological debate quite well. Thus I have no desire to invest time in the DVD.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

I did not say it was good. I said it was lengthy. Based on the snippets I read it seemed the typical response. Did you view the EV DVD? Were you impressed by it?
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Jersey Girl wrote:

Jersey Girl

lds.org linked it and other items and articles about the DVD on their web page. Why not?
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Mister Scratch wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

Jersey Girl

Well, it must mean that the LDS Church and FAIR are far more closely "affiliated" than Scott Gordon, John Lynch, Daniel C. Peterson, and other apologists would like us to believe. This seems to me to be a very good piece of evidence that FAIR is actively working for the LDS Church. I hope somebody starts a thread about this on the fittingly named MADboard. I would be most interested in seeing the apologists try to wiggle free of this one. You may have caught them with their pants down, Jersey Girl!

And because on the same web page the LDS Church linked to an news article by some other religious group that condemned the DVD and its distribution as hateful the Church is in league with that group as well I suppose. And since it was an AP article the Church has the AP in it pocket as well.

by the way, this is not the first time the Church has linked to a FAIR article. Also they have covered FAIR conferences in the weekly Church News.

I really think this is just a link to a resource that people can refer to if they wish.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Jason Bourne wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

Jersey Girl

And because on the same web page the LDS Church linked to an news article by some other religious group that condemned the DVD and its distribution as hateful the Church is in league with that group as well I suppose. And since it was an AP article the Church has the AP in it pocket as well.

by the way, this is not the first time the Church has linked to a FAIR article. Also they have covered FAIR conferences in the weekly Church News.

I really think this is just a link to a resource that people can refer to if they wish.

Sorry, Jason, but this is a false analogy. The AP is a large, very well-known and respected organization, whereas FAIR is a small, esoteric group of LDS apologists. Moreover, I sincerely doubt that AP would be interested in such things as proving that the Book of Abraham was the result of divine inspiration.

My main issue in all of this is that it irritates me that such lengths are gone to in order to deny the relationship that exists between FAIR and the Church. Why not just admit that FAIR is a tool of the Brethren? It seems transparently obvious anyways. Why the continued ruse?