When women get the priesthood, what will the apologists say?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Seven
_Emeritus

Women already have the Priesthood

Post by _Seven »

from a FAIR apologist:
Poll: Women Receive the Priesthood (Pages 1 2 3 ...4 )

stn9
Posted on: Aug 27 2005, 12:54 PM

Replies: 45
Views: 731
I can't (won't) vote in this poll because women can already have the priesthood:

"It is a precept of the Church that women of the Church share the authority of the priesthood with their husbands, actual or prospective; and therefore women, whether taking the endowment for themselves or for the dead, are not ordained to specific rank in the priesthood. Nevertheless, there is no grade, rank, or phase of the temple endowment to which women are not eligible on an equality with man."

- James E. Talmage, The House of the Lord (Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1912), p. 94.

A woman first receives priesthood keys--keys that she can exercise--when endowed, irrespective of her marital status.

Forum: LDS Dialogue & Discussion · Post Preview: #262692
"Happiness is the object and design of our existence...
That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another." Joseph Smith
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

I truly can't think of one thing that can't be changed... scripture can; interpretation can; ordinances can, doctrine can.

This is one of the few things about the LDS church that gives me hope. Religions set in stone, religions that are static and unchanging aren't comforting to me, when I see all the things that are wrong with them: judgmentalism, sexism, racism, holier-than-thou-ism, exclusion, marginalization, etc. What comforts me is the idea that we could change the world, if we could just get it right, just once. But that requires that our leaders abandon their pride, so I'm not holding my breath.

Our very own MormonDiscussions Boyd K Packer is a prime example of a poster puffed up with pride. It's scary, how close he sounds to the real thing.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Re: Women already have the Priesthood

Post by _Mephitus »

Seven wrote:from a FAIR apologist:
Poll: Women Receive the Priesthood (Pages 1 2 3 ...4 )

stn9
Posted on: Aug 27 2005, 12:54 PM

Replies: 45
Views: 731
I can't (won't) vote in this poll because women can already have the priesthood:

"It is a precept of the Church that women of the Church share the authority of the priesthood with their husbands, actual or prospective; and therefore women, whether taking the endowment for themselves or for the dead, are not ordained to specific rank in the priesthood. Nevertheless, there is no grade, rank, or phase of the temple endowment to which women are not eligible on an equality with man."

- James E. Talmage, The House of the Lord (Salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1912), p. 94.

A woman first receives priesthood keys--keys that she can exercise--when endowed, irrespective of her marital status.

Forum: LDS Dialogue & Discussion · Post Preview: #262692

wow!

yeah, you try pulling that out next time you want to give a "priesthood" blessing to your new baby.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew