It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: An open letter to the Deseret News/Mormon Times
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:47 am 
Darth J wrote:
No, Chris has more than had his own say about the KEP. You're desperately trying to twist what happened to fit your position. Mormon apologetics at its finest.

I do not deny that. I simply noticed that, even though Chris is an academic, and a doctoral candidate, he made a specific point to say that a non-academic, Brent, was unimpressed. Okay, well John Doe was unimpressed too, but do we make a specific point about it?

Darth J wrote:
But you haven't demonstrated the "active posters on this board" premise, either.

Perhaps not to your liking, but Metcalfe has very frequently been referred to as some sort of authority on the subject of the KEP. I did not say that the same was not happening with regards to Schryver, but at least Schryver made his position known, and did a presentation on the subject.

Darth J wrote:
Oh, so you didn't understand that this was all about the KEP after all, but were just generally making observations about whether people like Metcalfe as a person, even though your original statement and my question were about Metcalfe as "hero of the KEP."

I am well aware of the current flurry about the KEP. Brent seems, to me, to be the critics hero of the KEP ... holding back the nasty apologists. The trouble is, no one knows what his position on the KEP is.

But KEP aside, Metcalfe worship goes way back. Remember the DNA fiasco? It happened then, too.

Darth J wrote:
Just so we're clear:

Mormons singing hymns praising Joseph Smith and saying he mingles with gods, and saying only Jesus has done more than him for the salvation of man = not worshipping Joseph Smith

Admiring that Metcalfe is willing to take on Schryver = worship

Interesting that you would compare Metcalfe to Joseph Smith. Do we have a little man-crush on Metcalfe?

Quote:
In what context? I also said Metcalfe is my hero because he's working on Halo:Reach, and said in the same post that I don't subscribe to his or anyone else's KEP theory at this point. So now you're explicitly admitting to taking things out of context to try and prove your point.

Halo:Reach is already out. Why is Metcalfe still hiding?

Darth J wrote:
It is a topic that you brought up, Simon. This whole thing is about the apologist crowd straw man that "critics" are relying on Metcalfe's theories about the KEP to justify not believing in the Book of Abraham. You specifically said that he was all these people's "hero of the KEP." You're talking about a specific context, and now you're acting as if all this is completely divorced from Metcalfe's KEP theories.

No, he is currently the hero of the KEP; but before that, he was the hero of DNA and the Book of Mormon, and before that, something else, no doubt. Who is this man who has such a hold on the hearts of the people?

Do you deny that a lot of people have been referring to Metcalfe in relation to the current aftermath of Schryver's presentation?

P.S. Stay tuned for my thread entitled: My Metcalfe Memoir (MMM)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:06 am 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Simon Belmont wrote:
/snip

Simon, when you find out that you're in a hole, stop digging.

Darth J wrote:
Just so we're clear:

Mormons singing hymns praising Joseph Smith and saying he mingles with gods, and saying only Jesus has done more than him for the salvation of man = not worshipping Joseph Smith

Admiring that Metcalfe is willing to take on Schryver = worship

Quote:
Interesting that you would compare Metcalfe to Joseph Smith. Do we have a little man-crush on Metcalfe?

I've always been impressed by all the defenders of the faith who make something up and then invent arguments to attack the position that hasn't been taken.

Darth J wrote:
In what context? I also said Metcalfe is my hero because he's working on Halo:Reach, and said in the same post that I don't subscribe to his or anyone else's KEP theory at this point. So now you're explicitly admitting to taking things out of context to try and prove your point.

Quote:
Halo:Reach is already out. Why is Metcalfe still hiding?

Today is August 21. The official release date for Reach is September 14.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IP ... B003IPCF02

Darth J wrote:
It is a topic that you brought up, Simon. This whole thing is about the apologist crowd straw man that "critics" are relying on Metcalfe's theories about the KEP to justify not believing in the Book of Abraham. You specifically said that he was all these people's "hero of the KEP." You're talking about a specific context, and now you're acting as if all this is completely divorced from Metcalfe's KEP theories.

Quote:
No, he is currently the hero of the KEP; but before that, he was the hero of DNA and the Book of Mormon,

Yeah. Good thing that DNA thing has been resolved in the Book of Mormon's favor!

Quote:
and before that, something else, no doubt. Who is this man who has such a hold on the hearts of the people?

WHAT people? You haven't been able to show a single person who is depending on Brent Metcalfe for their views about the LDS Church, and if you don't understand that that is how this whole KEP thing is being spun, then maybe a job requiring more cognition than ripping tickets at the Tilt-A-Whirl is not for you.

Quote:
Do you deny that a lot of people have been referring to Metcalfe in relation to the current aftermath of Schryver's presentation?

No. I deny that a lot of people stopped believing in the Book of Abraham because they are disciples of Brent Metcalfe.

Quote:
P.S. Stay tuned for my thread entitled: My Metcalfe Memoir (MMM)

Sure to be fact based, honest, and incisive.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:29 am 
Darth J wrote:
Good thing that DNA thing has been resolved in the Book of Mormon's favor!

Um . . . it did. But that is a topic for another time.

Remember the mantra, Darth J: Brent Metcalfe is not impressed.
Brent Metcalfe is not impressed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:10 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Darth J wrote:
Good thing that DNA thing has been resolved in the Book of Mormon's favor!

Simon Belmont wrote:
Um . . . it did. But that is a topic for another time.

Oh, good. Native Americans are Hebrews. All is well, all is well!

Quote:
Remember the mantra, Darth J: Brent Metcalfe is not impressed.

Simon, really, stop making it worse. That's nobody's mantra, and the posts on which you purport to rely all show that nobody is saying that as a mantra.

I have said many, many times that I don't have any theory about the KEP, and that I am willing to allow the possibility that Schryver may be right, because even if he is, so what? So stop trying to pull this out of your ass that now I'm some Metcalfe disciple because I'm a Halo fan.

You're a Star Trek fan. Gene Roddenberry was an atheist. Therefore, you're an atheist.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:24 pm 
Darth J wrote:

Perhaps you haven't been up-to-date on the latest findings, and are stuck in 2002? Oh yeah, where is the invincible team of Murphy/Metcalfe now? What happened to the "Galileo Event?" Was the Book of Mormon proven untrue because of their "research?"

Quote:
Simon, really, stop making it worse. That's nobody's mantra, and the posts on which you purport to rely all show that nobody is saying that as a mantra.

That was a quick search to show you that what I said has truth to it.

Quote:
I have said many, many times that I don't have any theory about the KEP, and that I am willing to allow the possibility that Schryver may be right, because even if he is, so what?

I was never questioning you. I hadn't read any Metcalfe worship from you specifically.

So, even if Schryver is wrong, so what?

Quote:
So stop trying to pull this out of your ass that now I'm some Metcalfe disciple because I'm a Halo fan.

Remember what harmony said. Metcalfe does not suffer fools lightly!

Quote:
You're a Star Trek fan. Gene Roddenberry was an atheist. Therefore, you're an atheist.

He was also a humanist. And the movies generally have religious overtones to them (although the episodes usually didn't).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:44 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Darth J wrote:

Simon Belmont wrote:
Perhaps you haven't been up-to-date on the latest findings, and are stuck in 2002? Oh yeah, where is the invincible team of Murphy/Metcalfe now? What happened to the "Galileo Event?" Was the Book of Mormon proven untrue because of their "research?"

No. The Book of Mormon had been conclusively proven to be an authentic ancient record of a vast Hebrew civilization that really existed for 1,000 years in the pre-Columbian Americas somewhere.

I'm glad to know that since 2002, the latest findings prove that Native Americans are the descendants of Hebrews.

Darth J wrote:

Quote:
That was a quick search to show you that what I said has truth to it.

"Elvis killed JFK with a weapon recovered from the 1947 Roswell UFO crash."

Come on; that statement "had truth to it." Elvis Presley was a real person. John F. Kennedy was assassinated. Something or other happened at Roswell. So it's "true," kind of.

Darth J wrote:
I have said many, many times that I don't have any theory about the KEP, and that I am willing to allow the possibility that Schryver may be right, because even if he is, so what?

Quote:
I was never questioning you. I hadn't read any Metcalfe worship from you specifically.

So I don't have my man crush on him anymore?

Quote:
So, even if Schryver is wrong, so what?

So nothing. Schryver's thing is interesting as a look at the Mormon apologetics community. The only questions that matter are these:

--Did Joseph Smith repeatedly claim that the Book of Abraham is a translation, by whatever methodology, of what was written on the papyri? Yes.

--Is the Book of Abraham what it says on the papyri? No.

--Even if the Book of Abraham hypothetically were true, would that necessarily mean that the modern LDS Church is the true church? No.

Quote:
So stop trying to pull this out of your ass that now I'm some Metcalfe disciple because I'm a Halo fan.

Quote:
Remember what harmony said. Metcalfe does not suffer fools lightly!

So what? Judging from the beta, the initials I care about aren't KEP, but DMR.

Darth J wrote:

Quote:
He was also a humanist. And the movies generally have religious overtones to them (although the episodes usually didn't).

Not the movies he was involved with. ST:TMP was about "the creator" being relative--V'Ger thought that the human race was, in effect, its God, and the ending with Deckard is about humans and machines uniting (spoiler alert).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:01 pm 
Darth J wrote:
I'm glad to know that since 2002, the latest findings prove that Native Americans are the descendants of Hebrews.

Not necessarily, but there are some good theories out there. Just like there are some good theories for Asiatic migrations.

Darth J wrote:

To make this analogy work, you would have to perform some type of search, or minimal research on the matter, like I did.

Darth J wrote:

That is for you to work out.

Quote:
The only questions that matter are these:

No, the only question that matter is: did Joseph Smith see what he said he saw?

Darth J wrote:
Not the movies he was involved with. ST:TMP was about "the creator" being relative--V'Ger thought that the human race was, in effect, its God, and the ending with Deckard is about humans and machines uniting (spoiler alert).

ST:TMP V'Ger was in a search for its creator, and it was so determined to know where it came from, why it is here, and what it's purpose is that it was willing to destroy an entire planet will billions of carbon units on it.

STII:TWOK Spock sacrifices himself for his ship, and for his friends, but first he transfers his "Katra" or Vulcan soul to McCoy. The lives of the many outweigh the lives of the few, or the one. This was Spock's "atonement."

STIII:TSFS At Mount Selaya, Spock's Katra (soul) is reunited with his body, and Spock is risen from the dead after his atonement, just like in the New Testament.

STIV:TVH None that I know of

STV:TFF The ship is hijacked by an emotional Vulcan and "brainwashed" to believe in him as some sort of prophet. He takes the Enterprise to the center of the galaxy to meet "god." Later it is discovered that this "god" is really just a giant fraud. Later, Kirk comments "Maybe God isn't out there, Bones, maybe he is in here ... the Human heart."

STVI:TUC None that I am aware of

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:07 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Simon Belmont wrote:

Darth J wrote:
Not necessarily, but there are some good theories out there. Just like there are some good theories for Asiatic migrations.

The ad hoc assumptions and wishful thinking about the Book of Mormon are equivalent to theories about Asiatic migrations? Yeah. The theories about aliens building the pyramids are just as good as theories about how the Egyptians built them.

Darth J wrote:

Quote:
To make this analogy work, you would have to perform some type of search, or minimal research on the matter, like I did.

You did indeed do "minimal research." Then you distorted what people said beyond recognition, and claimed that it still had "truth in it." The analogy is taking a couple of things that are true and than making s*** up, and claiming that the made-up s*** is still "true."

Darth J wrote:

Quote:
That is for you to work out.

"I wasn't talking about you specifically, except when I was, but now I'm not, but now I am." I don't know why you're worried about anti-Mormons, Simon. You are doing just fine making Mormons look disingenuous without help from anyone else.

Darth J wrote:
The only questions that matter are these:

Quote:
No, the only question that matter is: did Joseph Smith see what he said he saw?

It turns out that the numerous and varied stories about the First Vision are not where Mormonism ends. And I know it's impossible that anyone could have a spiritual confirmation that the LDS Church is not true, because the Church says so. But hey, you've learned eternal truth through the same method that an LDS Church-owned company uses to advertise Foot Locker. Good for you.

Bonneville Communications used what it called "Heart Sell" emotional advertising to promote the LDS church and also other clients, including Foot Locker, Kinney Shoe Corporation, Wilson's Leather, B. Dalton Booksellers, The Salvation Army, Charter Medical Corporation, and The American Cancer Society.

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company- ... story.html

Our unique strength is the ability to touch the hearts and minds of our audiences, evoking first feeling, then thought and, finally, action. We call this uniquely powerful brand of creative "HeartSell"® - strategic emotional advertising that stimulates response.

http://www.bonneville.com/?nid=32

Darth J wrote:

Quote:
ST:TMP V'Ger was in a search for its creator, and it was so determined to know where it came from, why it is here, and what it's purpose is that it was willing to destroy an entire planet will billions of carbon units on it.

STII:TWOK Spock sacrifices himself for his ship, and for his friends, but first he transfers his "Katra" or Vulcan soul to McCoy. The lives of the many outweigh the lives of the few, or the one. This was Spock's "atonement."

STIII:TSFS At Mount Selaya, Spock's Katra (soul) is reunited with his body, and Spock is risen from the dead after his atonement, just like in the New Testament.

STIV:TVH None that I know of

STV:TFF The ship is hijacked by an emotional Vulcan and "brainwashed" to believe in him as some sort of prophet. He takes the Enterprise to the center of the galaxy to meet "god." Later it is discovered that this "god" is really just a giant fraud. Later, Kirk comments "Maybe God isn't out there, Bones, maybe he is in here ... the Human heart."

STVI:TUC None that I am aware of

Is that how executive producer Brannon Braga saw all this?

"No, there was no consideration in giving humans, talking about God, or talking about those types of things. We wanted to avoid it to be quite frank. But we did very often explore theology through alien characters. Which frankly is much more interesting anyway. Whether it was the Bajorans and their religion or the Borg and their religion. They had the religion of perfection. That, I think, was more interesting. We want to keep Star Trek secular. The human facet of Star Trek secular."

Oh, but maybe The Great Bird of the Galaxy himself was at least sort of sympathetic to religion:

"I condemn false prophets, I condemn the effort to take away the power of rational decision, to drain people of their free will -- and a hell of a lot of money in the bargain. Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain."

Oh, guess not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:16 pm 
God

Simon Belmont wrote:
Other, random Metcalfe worship as of late.

Cinepro, the fence-sitter:
Quote:
Brent is my hero

Just to be clear, my "hero" comment was in the context of the song in this link.

And this video summarizes Will's position in this whole back and forth.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:30 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

cinepro wrote:

Just to be clear, my "hero" comment was in the context of the song in this link.

You know, I would just as soon see the debate in this format as anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:20 pm 
God

Simon Belmont wrote:
Yes, I know. One challenging question or comment and he flutters off like a delicate butterfly. He can sure dish it out, but he absolutely cannot take it.

Delicate? Have you ever SEEN the man?... I didn't think so.

Quote:
Quote:
As for him having authority... I'm wondering just who you think DOES have authority on this subject?

Try this on for size, harmony. GOD has authority on the subject.

But Simon... you aren't God, you don't speak for God, you have no more authority than... Brent?... to speak for God. And God isn't saying much lately, if one thinks Pres Monson speaks for God.

Quote:
Quote:
You're a newbie, Simon.

How do you know? I may be the most published person on here. My identity is unknown. I could be Barak Obama for all you know.

I'm a mod. Try to not forget that again.

Quote:
Quote:
You might want to keep that in mind, when addressing issues and people who have been working on this for decades. You don't have any idea what you don't know, nor do you realize that what you DO know is a mere molecule.

Pardon me for not kneeling to worship Metcalfe like almost everyone here does.

Your only problem is that you're worshipping at the feet of Will. It's really gotta stink down there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:01 pm 
Quote:

"No, there was no consideration in giving humans, talking about God, or talking about those types of things. We wanted to avoid it to be quite frank. But we did very often explore theology through alien characters. Which frankly is much more interesting anyway. Whether it was the Bajorans and their religion or the Borg and their religion. They had the religion of perfection. That, I think, was more interesting. We want to keep Star Trek secular. The human facet of Star Trek secular."

Oh, but maybe The Great Bird of the Galaxy himself was at least sort of sympathetic to religion:

"I condemn false prophets, I condemn the effort to take away the power of rational decision, to drain people of their free will -- and a hell of a lot of money in the bargain. Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain."

Oh, guess not.

Wow, you're just an argumentative little Sith, aren't you? If I say Black, you will say White. If I say White, you will say Black.

If you will read further on the website you referred to, it talks about this subject. Religions of other races are often the main story point for episodes.

Spock being raised from the dead is a powerful spiritual testament to religion in STIII. The transcendental relationship of Picard and Guinon (that's never fully discussed) is thought not to be of the physical realm.

Yes, Gene Roddenberry was a known Humanist, but from what I have read, he began to at least accept religion in his older years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:04 pm 
Quote:
I'm a mod. Try to not forget that again.

Superiority complex?

You're a mod, but you do not do anything. You deny every report.

You can see the IP range of my ISP, so you know maybe what region of the United States I post from, but I use a proxy so it will give you a false reading anyway.

So what, exactly, is your point?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:06 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Simon Belmont wrote:
Quote:

Oh, guess not.

Wow, you're just an argumentative little Sith, aren't you? If I say Black, you will say White. If I say White, you will say Black.

If you will read further on the website you referred to, it talks about this subject. Religions of other races are often the main story point for episodes.

Spock being raised from the dead is a powerful spiritual testament to religion in STIII. The transcendental relationship of Picard and Guinon (that's never fully discussed) is thought not to be of the physical realm.

Yes, Gene Roddenberry was a known Humanist, but from what I have read, he began to at least accept religion in his older years.

Simon, the point is what Star Trek's creator was saying, not what various screenwriters who riffed on his mythos did with it, or how you are interpreting it.

You know, kind of like the Church: the institution you're purporting to defend by ignoring its teachings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:12 pm 
Darth J wrote:
Simon, the point is what Star Trek's creator was saying, not what various screenwriters who riffed on his mythos did with it, or how you are interpreting it.

You know, kind of like the Church: the institution you're purporting to defend by ignoring its teachings.

Some of the best episodes dealt with spirituality, such as "Metamorphosis," and "Who Mourns for Adonis?" The Borg's religion was perfection. What Roddenberry said, and what he did we sometimes not consistent. I still respect him as the creator of the greatest show ever.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:20 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Simon Belmont wrote:
Darth J wrote:

Some of the best episodes dealt with spirituality, such as "Metamorphosis," and "Who Mourns for Adonis?" The Borg's religion was perfection. What Roddenberry said, and what he did we sometimes not consistent. I still respect him as the creator of the greatest show ever.

I see. You understand what the mythos was saying better than the person who created it. A powerful Mopologist you will become.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:16 am 
God

The concept of the Borg as originally introduced was just a homogeneous alien collective where each part was an expression of the whole. They wanted to assimilate other alien cultures into their collective. That's it. Their spread was more virus-like than a holy mission. The pursuit of perfection was a later writing* development that occurred after Roddenberry died. And that's not a "religion" so much as a drive.

The Borg also weren't really Roddenberry's style of writing. I doubt he had much of anything to do with it. He has writing credit on only a few episodes, but some bear his style more than others. This, for instance, is classic Roddenberry writing. The Star Trek universe is a product of thousands of minds working collaboratively.

*I think the original Borg concept is brilliant sci-fi writing for TV. The later writing, especially making them a "hive", mucked it up considerably.

I'm pretty sure Gene Roddenberry was an atheist or at least something close to it. In any case, his writing is generally informed by a nonbelieving perspective and his ideals revolve around secular humanism. I'm not sure how one can confuse "touching on religious themes" with being favorable towards religion. I'm also not sure how saying "But he was also a humanist" is supposed to contradict the first assertion. Atheists can be humanists and there's a whole subset of them that pride themselves on being humanists and form organizations based on that shared identity.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:52 am 
God

Hello,

Oh my. In just one post Mormondom's newest hero says:

Quote:

Dan,

... pre-insanity stages of the debate with the inimitable Kevin Graham... Kevin Graham’s ignorant irrationality... interminable page of mind-numbing, patience-sapping, reason-defying pseudo-intellectual nonsense... Within the unique context that is The Great and Spacious Trailer Park©... Not that the rabid pack of hyena-esque fools over there... it is a given that ignorance will prop up and praise ignorance in that place... its never-ending fog of wilfully blind incomprehension... to affiliate with the mob... as the mob is assembled to do violence to anything and anyone that would stand in apologetic defense of the restored gospel... bandwagon of unreasoning objection

-WS

V/R
Doc Cam

www.cesletter.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:53 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Hello,

Oh my. In just one post Mormondom's newest hero says:

Quote:

... as the mob is assembled to do violence to anything and anyone that would stand in apologetic defense of the restored gospel...

-WS

V/R
Doc Cam

Hmmm. Who is it that has threatened violence in this whole KEP circus? Anyone want to guess?

William Schryver wrote:
In any case, your continuing to call me a bald-faced liar is well noted (along with the other string of adjectives you have employed in the past and in your post above). Should you ever run into me in person, I guess you’d better hope I’m a “forgive and forget Christian,” huh? Otherwise you might find yourself having a knuckle sandwich for lunch.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12845&p=318666&hilit=knuckle#p318666