It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LDS angry, can't be Boy Scout leader in Presbyterian church
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:04 pm 
God

LDS are angry (you can see it in the comments) over this couple being rejected as scout leaders in a Presbyterian church troop in NC. Lots of outrage and calling the members bigoted, ignorant, judgemental, shameful and so on though there are those who say they have a right to do so. Then there are those that go on to mention the expansiveness of the LDS troop who have non-member leadership there is a lot of this "we have a non-member talk on MADB too. My experience with boy scouts is limited to the associations that have come up from being an assistant leader in girl scout troops (3 of them concurrently) since it seems those mothers and fathers involved in one are also involved in the other. So what I've seen is that the Catholic boy scout troops have Catholic leadership, the Methodist troops, Methodist leadership, and Lutheran troops have Lutheran leadership. So is is common for LDS boy scout troops to have non-member leadership like it has been implied in the comments at DN or MADB. I do know that none of the boy scout troop leaders were appointed in any fashion by their church leaders and I wonder how non-members can be appointed in the manner that LDS troop leaders apparently are, just how does an LDS church sustain a boy scout troop leader who isn't even present to accept the calling?

The article in DN is herehttp://www.deseretnews.com/article/700074848/North-Carolina-Scout-leadership-post-denied-for-Mormon-parents.html
And the MAD thread is here http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700074848/North-Carolina-Scout-leadership-post-denied-for-Mormon-parents.html

Post subject: Re: LDS angry, can't be Boy Scout leader in Presbyterian church
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:15 pm 
God

I have to admit that I am not a fan of this discriminatory organization known as the Boy Scouts of America. I hope this couple has the fortitude and the backbone to let the ACLU pursue this case in their behalf. Even if it fails, it will bring much needed attention to this tax exempt organization that has not declared itself as a Church.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:15 pm 
God

I've seen this mentioned in Bishopric meetings and PEC meetings where the non-LDS under consideration for the leadership position was being considered a prospective member. In other words, the intent was that the close association between that non-LDS leader and the many parents and scouts who are members would perhaps lead to a baptism.

Other than that, I haven't heard of it, but then again, I don't think it would be terribly difficult to find cases where this had happened, especially among cub scouts (less likely, IMHO, for 12yo scouts and older).

"I'll let you believers in on a little secret: not only is the LDS church not really true, it's obviously not true." -Sethbag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:57 am 
God

Outrageous indeed. LDS troops would never discriminate in this way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:16 am 
God

Quote:
LDS are angry

Why would I be angry?

Quote:
I have to admit that I am not a fan of this discriminatory organization known as the Boy Scouts of America.

They merely discriminate between right and wrong, good and evil. It's the same type of discrimination you are guilty of.

Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:24 pm 
God

moksha wrote:
I have to admit that I am not a fan of this discriminatory organization known as the Boy Scouts of America. I hope this couple has the fortitude and the backbone to let the ACLU pursue this case in their behalf. Even if it fails, it will bring much needed attention to this tax exempt organization that has not declared itself as a Church.

Sponsored by the local church, why shouldn't they have leaders they want?

And isn't it interesting that the Stokes' are willing to deny their sons participation for the same reasons the parents were denied leadership?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:40 pm 
2nd Quorum of Seventy

I wish someone would post on this same thread over at Peterson's board, the obvious, but forgotten hypocrisy of the Mormon church from the 1970s. Young black scouts could never become troop leaders due to the discriminatory practices the Mormon church used to determine individual worthiness of people. The practice brought about law suits from the NAACP in 1974 and eventually forced the 1978 supposed revelation! The denial of these Mormon parents by the presbyterian church is not applaudable, but those yelling unfair over at Peterson's board ought to jog their own memories!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:19 pm 
God

Why doesn't he just join this church, be a leader until he gets his fill and then leave?

Bow your head and mutter, what in hell am I doing here?

infaymos wrote: "Peterson is the defacto king ping of the Mormon Apologetic world."