It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Body Count: How many testimonies have you killed?
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:31 am 
God

liz3564 wrote:
What is wrong with John Dehlin's approach? His goal isn't to lead people away from the gospel, but to keep them involved in it.

I'm genuinely curious, Will. How do you find this a bad thing?

Because it isn't sincere but is a subtle attempt to destroy the faith of the unwitting. You should know that by now. Oh, wait, you wouldn't because you've lost the ability to distinguish between right and wrong.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:41 am 
Runtu wrote:
liz3564 wrote:
What is wrong with John Dehlin's approach? His goal isn't to lead people away from the gospel, but to keep them involved in it.

I'm genuinely curious, Will. How do you find this a bad thing?

Because it isn't sincere but is a subtle attempt to destroy the faith of the unwitting. You should know that by now. Oh, wait, you wouldn't because you've lost the ability to distinguish between right and wrong.

Ah, yes, I have been hanging out in the Goddess Suite for too long! LOL

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:18 am 
the very elect

William Schryver wrote:
I consider this one of the more revealing threads I have ever seen here in The Great and Spacious Trailer Park©. The honesty is quite refreshing, in a way, even as it confirms much of what I have always maintained when it comes to apostate evangelists.

Wet Willy,

My "apostate evangelism" is out of love for my fellow human beings.

I see LDS theology as damaging to the lives of people and I would be calloused to stand by and watch as their lives are raped by LDS Inc.

How is what I do any different than what the unwitting Mormon missionaries do?

I am much like old Joe Smith. His story claims he had a revelation that all other religious sects were wrong. The revelation that I experienced told me that LDS theology is false and very damaging.

And just like his story, I take my message of hope to the world, both Mormon and non Mormon.

It is too bad I am not independently wealthy, otherwise I would make it my full time job to bleed the LDS beast one tithe payer at a time.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:21 am 
God

Polygamy-Porter wrote:

It is too bad I am not independently wealthy, otherwise I would make it my full time job to bleed the LDS beast one tithe payer at a time.

And I would be your geeky, accountant companion (in a missionary way not in a gay way. Not that there's anything wrong with that) tallying up lost revenues to the co. of the president.

I feel called to the work.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 am 
the very elect

Willy Law wrote:
Polygamy-Porter wrote:

And I would be your geeky, accountant companion (in a missionary way not in a gay way. Not that there's anything wrong with that) tallying up lost revenues to the co. of the president.

I feel called to the work.

I would welcome the help my friend.

I wonder if the Mormon GAs would brand us as "spiritual TERRORISTS"? That would be bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:40 am 
God

I gotta bring the wife this time. I am not going on another mission without getting laid.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:43 am 
Willy Law wrote:
I gotta bring the wife this time. I am not going on another mission without getting laid.

ROTFLMAO!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:55 am 
God

Runtu wrote:
Juliann has often said that ex-Mormons should just walk away and shut up. But in this case, Will's telling us that even walking away quietly is a calculated evangelical tactic. If nothing else, I now feel like I have a better understanding of where Will is coming from.

Maybe the only thing that isn't an "evangelical ex-Mormon" tactic is the bearing fervent testimony of the truthfulness of the LDS Gospel. Anything less and Will sees you as a calculating, underhanded fiend of the deepest dye.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:45 pm 
midnight rambler

William Schryver wrote:
I consider this one of the more revealing threads I have ever seen here in The Great and Spacious Trailer Park©. The honesty is quite refreshing, in a way, even as it confirms much of what I have always maintained when it comes to apostate evangelists.
Willy Law wrote:
Not sure why you are so offended. TBM's use half truths, lies and manipulation to bring other "into the fold" then wear it like a badge of honor. I feel literally tormented for having any part in the one baptism I had on my mission. I think when I finally open someones eyes to the lies and manipulation of the church I will feel a huge burden lifted.
To me the real badge of honor is getting people to take the blinders off and see truth.
William Schryver wrote:
Offended?

Not at all.

Indeed, I was very sincere in claiming that I find much of this thread refreshing. I commend you for wearing your "badge of honor" openly, instead of hiding it under your lapel out of deceit or shame, like some people I know.

And I thought this thread was going to be about something other than the apologists at FARMS/FAIR.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:01 pm 
God

Runtu:
Quote:
Juliann has often said that ex-Mormons should just walk away and shut up. But in this case, Will's telling us that even walking away quietly is a calculated evangelical tactic. If nothing else, I now feel like I have a better understanding of where Will is coming from.

LOL!

Let me know when you've started "walking away quietly." I'll be sure and listen until the footsteps fade into the distance.

You see, you've introduced an interesting--and very effective--variation on The Dehlin Gambit: the whole time you're working it, you assure everyone you're really doing nothing of the sort. Then again, now that I think about it, what does the next verse say? Oh, yeah! Here are both of them together:

Quote:
And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell.

And behold, others he flattereth away, and telleth them there is no hell; and he saith unto them: I am no devil, for there is none—and thus he whispereth in their ears, until he grasps them with his awful chains, from whence there is no deliverance.

You've just expanded on the gambit a little! You clever man, you.

Well, at any rate, you're playing a very important role here in the last days. If part of my "calling" is to tag the wolves in sheep's clothing so unsuspecting believers can spot them, your calling is to tag the tares so the angels can spot them.

We both have essential parts in the greater plan, proving once again that God can make use of pretty much anybody in order to bring about His purposes.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:08 pm 
God

Trevor wrote:
Runtu wrote:

Maybe the only thing that isn't an "evangelical ex-Mormon" tactic is the bearing fervent testimony of the truthfulness of the LDS Gospel. Anything less and Will sees you as a calculating, underhanded fiend of the deepest dye.

Not so.

Indeed, there is a wide variety of shades here in Shadyville.

Granted, you and John are nearer the dark end of the spectrum, but then you have people like Polygamy Porter and Liz and Paul Osborne et al. who simply lack the intellect sufficient to be as effective evangelists as you are. That's all right, though, because the majority of apostates are more like them than you, so the presence here of a large number of extremely average people makes it a welcoming environment for all. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:11 pm 
God

Ditto that, my brother. I've been making that point for months here; you've done it better.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:22 pm 
God

Runtu is probably the single best example of "passive aggression" I've ever seen as applied to anti-Mormonism.

He does it, but he does it with those big, sad, watery eyes like those on the "pity puppy" puzzles and prints of the seventies.

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:30 pm 
Droopy wrote:
Runtu is probably the single best example of "passive aggression" I've ever seen as applied to anti-Mormonism.

He does it, but he does it with those big, sad, watery eyes like those on the "pity puppy" puzzles and prints of the seventies.

What, on Earth, makes you think that John is an "anti-Mormon?"

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:33 pm 
God

ttribe wrote:

I'm used to it, Tim. Three posts in a row about my evilness has to be some kind of record, though.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:36 pm 
abstract

Droopy wrote:

This is beyond lame. Do you have any real friends Droopy?

To answer the thread topic... many. The seeds of doubt are planted by the truth. No one finds the truth unless they want to find it. When they do seek truth, they will find it... the seeds of truth that "anit's" toss out (I am an anti-Mormon) gnaw at the core of their souls until it simply cannot be shelved into the hazy rationalization that feeds cognitive dissonance like a lion that rips through a wilder beast. The truth is either true, or it is not true. Weigh the evidence and make a choice.

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice, but if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - RUSH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpCASVFyQoE

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:40 pm 
Runtu wrote:
I'm used to it, Tim. Three posts in a row about my evilness has to be some kind of record, though.

Used to it or not, it's unjustifiable. As someone who is constantly on the defensive around these parts as a believer, I am sick to death of the confrontational approach to EVERY SINGLE critic that gets trotted out by some believing posters.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:41 pm 
Hermit

Yahoo Bot wrote:
Ditto that, my brother. I've been making that point for months here; you've done it better.

FYI, you've only been registered for a month.

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:46 pm 
God

Gadianton wrote:
Yahoo Bot wrote:

FYI, you've only been registered for a month.

Perhaps, but some of us here have had your number for years Gad.

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:51 pm 
God

ttribe wrote:
Droopy wrote:

It's a simple byproduct of his not being hopelessly naïve and lacking basic skills in intuitive discernment.

Other than that, I can't think of a single reason.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:53 pm 
God

William Schryver wrote:
Granted, you and John are nearer the dark end of the spectrum, but then you have people like Polygamy Porter and Liz and Paul Osborne et al. who simply lack the intellect sufficient to be as effective evangelists as you are. That's all right, though, because the majority of apostates are more like them than you, so the presence here of a large number of extremely average people makes it a welcoming environment for all. ;-)

Wow. Who knew? I am on the dark end of the spectrum. Whew! And here I thought I wouldn't make the cut. I was assured by asbestosman that I really wasn't a dangerous critic. So, I was feeling a little under-appreciated here.

Maybe you could do me a solid and disabuse marg of the notion that I am a watered-down TBM. That is, unless you agree with her and these are really all the same thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next