A strange turn on my release as Gospel Doctrine teacher

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
consiglieri
God

A strange turn on my release as Gospel Doctrine teacher

Post by consiglieri »

Since being informed of my release as gospel doctrine teacher by my bishop a week ago Sunday, things have taken a strange turn, prompting me to timidly dip my toe in the tepid pool of conspiracy theories.

I thought I'd throw it out there for anybody who might be interested.

Below is the story I was given for the release:

I have been GD teacher for four years.

I have been HP secretary for about a year, as well.

I live about 200-yards outside the ward boundary.

The newly called stake presidency understands the situation sufficiently to not make a mindless dictate that we have to attend the ward in whose boundaries we live.

But strangely has dictated that we can have only one calling. It was between GD teacher and HP secretary. One of the callings had to go.

The HP group leader went on and on about how wonderful I am as a secretary.

The bishop was persuaded.

End of story.

So, that was the "official version" I was told by my bishop, which I was happy enough to accept.

Then I started tumbling to some other information yesterday.

1. I found out that our ward Sunday school president has resigned his post because my release, together with the call of the new teacher, happened behind his back without his being consulted or even notified.

2. The new GD teacher is a former member of the stake presidency, which was just released, and who happens to be a good friend of mine. He wants to include me in a missionary preparation series of presentations he has done in the past (which I think is nice of him though it sounds like a bone being thrown), and he came over last night to talk about it with me. Toward the end of our discussions, he said that he had gotten the okay from the new stake president, but that he had to assure the new stake president that I wouldn't be teaching any "strange" things to the youth; the way he put it was he had to tell the new stake president that if I started trying to "triangulate the position of Kolob," he would report me. He meant it as a joke, and was surprised I wasn't laughing.

I started to wonder if he, like Hagrid, had said something he shouldn't have.

I shared this with my wife later last night, and she began to get upset. She said she was going to "do something" about this. I asked her what she had in mind. She declined to share. (Picture consiglieri starting to get worried.) I told her it didn't make any difference to me, and that I would rather she not do anything. She was not dissuaded. I told her that she might want to make sure of her facts before doing anything. She just repeated that she was going to "do something." I tried to talk to her more about how this wasn't a big deal, but she told me she didn't want me to talk about it anymore because it was just making her more upset.

So now that I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, I thought I would post this to see if anybody has any comments or advice.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)

Scottie
God

Re: A strange turn on my release as Gospel Doctrine teacher

Post by Scottie »

Maybe the Bishop or SP found the naughty notes that you and my wife penned during sacrament meeting??

Seriously, though, just tack this onto the list of times the church has tried to censor the past "strange" teachings.... which, of course, NONE of the apologists have EVER heard about.

(Now waiting for Darth J's Emperor Palpatine imitations...)
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo

Darth J
Dark Lord of the Sith

Post by Darth J »

Scottie wrote:Maybe the Bishop or SP found the naughty notes that you and my wife penned during sacrament meeting??

Seriously, though, just tack this onto the list of times the church has tried to censor the past "strange" teachings.... which, of course, NONE of the apologists have EVER heard about.

(Now waiting for Darth J's Emperor Palpatine imitations...)

Are you referring to the apologist trope that the Church never hides this stuff and we are always free to talk about the difficult issues in Sunday School?

Or the apologist trope that the distinction between chapel Mormon and internet Mormon is a myth?

cinepro
God

Post by cinepro »

Don't worry Consig. When God closes a door, He also opens a window.

I just got called as an EQ teacher. :)

Yahoo Bot
God

Post by Yahoo Bot »

Four years is a long time to hold any calling. Bishoprics have access to an aging list; you were near the top of it.

But, more significantly, the release of the SP counselor tells it all. He needed a calling.

Trevor
God

Post by Trevor »

My guess is that there were discussions behind closed doors about things you had taught in GD, and that your geography became the easy way of releasing you from GD. Perhaps someone complained about a lesson(s) you taught. Maybe your friend being released from the stake presidency simply wanted your job. The long and short of it is that in the end it is better for you and your wife to let it go. There is nothing to be gained by making an issue out of it, no matter how unjust or odd the situation may seem.

You never know but that there is some initiative that the bishop or the stake presidency has for GD that you simply did not fit. And then there is the possibility of inspiration.
Last edited by Trevor on Mon May 24, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”

Droopy
God

Post by Droopy »

consiglieri wrote:Since being informed of my release as gospel doctrine teacher by my bishop a week ago Sunday, things have taken a strange turn, prompting me to timidly dip my toe in the tepid pool of conspiracy theories.

Don't be timid, just plow right in. Find out who the man on the grassy knoll was, and you'll have your answers.

1. I found out that our ward Sunday school president has resigned his post because my release, together with the call of the new teacher, happened behind his back without his being consulted or even notified.

Why does he need to be consulted if the Stake President and Bishop decide to release you? Who is called to determine those things for the ward, the Bishop and Stake President, or the Sunday School President?

2. The new GD teacher is a former member of the stake presidency, which was just released, and who happens to be a good friend of mine. He wants to include me in a missionary preparation series of presentations he has done in the past (which I think is nice of him though it sounds like a bone being thrown), and he came over last night to talk about it with me. Toward the end of our discussions, he said that he had gotten the okay from the new stake president, but that he had to assure the new stake president that I wouldn't be teaching any "strange" things to the youth; the way he put it was he had to tell the new stake president that if I started trying to "triangulate the position of Kolob," he would report me. He meant it as a joke, and was surprised I wasn't laughing.

Given what you've posted at the MADboard of late, I could probably be persuaded that your SP has legitimate concerns.

I shared this with my wife later last night, and she began to get upset. She said she was going to "do something" about this. I asked her what she had in mind. She declined to share. (Picture consiglieri starting to get worried.) I told her it didn't make any difference to me, and that I would rather she not do anything. She was not dissuaded. I told her that she might want to make sure of her facts before doing anything. She just repeated that she was going to "do something." I tried to talk to her more about how this wasn't a big deal, but she told me she didn't want me to talk about it anymore because it was just making her more upset.

Do either you or your wife comprehend that being a gospel doctrine teacher is not a right, but a privilege, and one given and taken away by the Lord as he wills?

So now that I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, I thought I would post this to see if anybody has any comments or advice.
[/quote]

Perhaps your "graduate level" gospel doctrine classes became a bit much, after a time, and finally produced a reaction?
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell

TAK
God

Post by TAK »

So nobody has more than one Church job?

My mom by the way, taught GD for well over 10 years..
Last edited by TAK on Mon May 24, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God has the right to create and to destroy, to make like and to kill. He can delegate this authority if he wishes to. I know that can be scary. Deal with it.
Nehor.. Nov 08, 2010

Polygamy-Porter
the very elect

Post by Polygamy-Porter »

consiglieri,

Hmmmm, just curious, does Danny Peterson know your bishop or stake prez?
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !

William Schryver
God

Post by William Schryver »

consiglieri wrote:Since being informed of my release as gospel doctrine teacher by my bishop a week ago Sunday, things have taken a strange turn, prompting me to timidly dip my toe in the tepid pool of conspiracy theories.

I thought I'd throw it out there for anybody who might be interested.

Below is the story I was given for the release:

I have been GD teacher for four years.

I have been HP secretary for about a year, as well.

I live about 200-yards outside the ward boundary.

The newly called stake presidency understands the situation sufficiently to not make a mindless dictate that we have to attend the ward in whose boundaries we live.

But strangely has dictated that we can have only one calling. It was between GD teacher and HP secretary. One of the callings had to go.

The HP group leader went on and on about how wonderful I am as a secretary.

The bishop was persuaded.

End of story.

So, that was the "official version" I was told by my bishop, which I was happy enough to accept.

Then I started tumbling to some other information yesterday.

I started to wonder if he, like Hagrid, had said something he shouldn't have.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Gee, what a surprise this is.

I wonder if it has anything to do with that call I made ..........

<tic>
... every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol ...

Polygamy-Porter
the very elect

Post by Polygamy-Porter »

cinepro wrote:Don't worry Consig. When God closes a door, He also opens a window.

Too bad for you. I guess you really have no choice?
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !

William Schryver
God

Post by William Schryver »

cinepro wrote:Don't worry Consig. When God closes a door, He also opens a window.

[Begins looking up stake office phone numbers in the southern California area ...]

lol!
... every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol ...

consiglieri
God

Post by consiglieri »

Trevor wrote:My guess is that there were discussions behind closed doors about things you had taught in GD, and that your geography became the easy way of releasing you from GD. Perhaps someone complained about a lesson(s) you taught.

Although I agree with the gist of your surmisings, I have to say on behalf of my friend, who was released with the entire stake presidency last month, that he was so upset by his new call to be GD teacher that he came to my house a week ago last evening (he is also our home teacher), and told me about it and said that if I wanted, he would throw a wrench into the cogs and refuse the calling so I could continue.

I told him that would not be necessary, and that in four years, I had said pretty much everything I wanted to say.

As to the possible "discussions behind closed doors" to which you allude, last night when my friend came over, in addition to talking about the new stake president's concern about my "triangulating the location of Kolob," he added that there had been several complaints about my not strictly following the manual . . .

Curioser and curioser.

For the record, I am fine with being released; and I think my wife was fine with my being released--although neither of us understood the one-calling proscription and now, in retrospect, it does seem a bit suspect.

The issue for me is not about being released--the issue is the possibility of a somewhat elaborate whitewash to cover the real reason for the release.

Don't you think?

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)

cinepro
God

Post by cinepro »

consiglieri wrote:Since being informed of my release as gospel doctrine teacher by my bishop a week ago Sunday,

--Consiglieri

Wait, have you not mentioned this at MADB?

consiglieri
God

Post by consiglieri »

Nothing like a corny line from Sound of Music to make me feel better, Mother Superior.

Although to be consistent, I can only surmise that the same inspiration that precipitated my release was involved in your new calling.

Congratulations! I hereby pass on the torch to you, Cinepro.

I know you won't let me down.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

consiglieri
God

Post by consiglieri »

cinepro wrote:
Wait, have you not mentioned this at MADB?

I gave John Larsen the scoop in our Mormon Expression podcast a week ago today, and have not mentioned it at MADB.

I alluded to it off-handedly in a different thread on this board late last week, but have thought the news might result in a superabundance of glee by certain parties on the MADB were it to be announced there.

That's okay, though.

Telling Will Schryver is like telling the town crier.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Trevor
God

Post by Trevor »

consiglieri wrote:Although I agree with the gist of your surmisings, I have to say on behalf of my friend, who was released with the entire stake presidency last month, that he was so upset by his new call to be GD teacher that he came to my house a week ago last evening (he is also our home teacher), and told me about it and said that if I wanted, he would throw a wrench into the cogs and refuse the calling so I could continue.

I told him that would not be necessary, and that in four years, I had said pretty much everything I wanted to say.

I am sorry to have questioned your friends loyalty. Really, I had no idea what I was talking about.

consiglieri wrote:As to the possible "discussions behind closed doors" to which you allude, last night when my friend came over, in addition to talking about the new stake president's concern about my "triangulating the location of Kolob," he added that there had been several complaints about my not strictly following the manual . . .

There is nothing curious about this in the least from my point of view. There was much discussion of the importance of following the manual in my ward before I quit attending five years ago. All it would take is some determined lobbying from some folks who had "concerns" about your departure from the manual, and there you are--bye, bye calling.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but it certainly is a possibility.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”

consiglieri
God

Post by consiglieri »

Scottie wrote:Maybe the Bishop or SP found the naughty notes that you and my wife penned during sacrament meeting??

You have way too good a memory, Scottie.

Black Moclips
Stake President

Post by Black Moclips »

Well Consig, as you said yourself, you got to say what you wanted to say. Now you get to join the rest of us in the audience and do your best not to 1) fall asleep, 2) raise your hand more than twice, 3) bite your tongue off. Good luck!
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.”

consiglieri
God

Post by consiglieri »

Black Moclips wrote:Well Consig, as you said yourself, you got to say what you wanted to say. Now you get to join the rest of us in the audience and do your best not to 1) fall asleep, 2) raise your hand more than twice, 3) bite your tongue off. Good luck!

You know, this does put me in a bind, mainly because it is my friend who is teaching. Mind you, he is a very spiritual man; much moreso than I; and I have a great deal of respect for him.

I think he will do a good job and it won't be that bad.

Otherwise, I would do what I did before I was called, and just bring a book to read.

Hey, if it's good enough for Hugh Nibley . . .

And I'm not sure it's appreciably different from Elder Eyring's dad's solution.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

truth dancer
High Goddess of Atlantis

Post by truth dancer »

Hi Consig,

I'm with Trevor on this one.

Hearing some of your stories (smile), I often wondered how you got away with discussion outside of the manual in GD.

In all the wards in which I have participated, there was a very strong emphasis on staying with the manual and not deviating in the least.

~td~
Last edited by truth dancer on Mon May 24, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj