Dangerous critics and safe critics at MDB

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Dangerous critics and safe critics at MDB

Post by _asbestosman »

For me, the critics I fear most are those I think are most reasonable. Those who see and acknowledge good in the church and its leaders are the most fearsome critics of all--more fearsome than those who once defended the church and later fell away. they are frightening because they make me question to what degree evil clouds their minds and their judgments. When they express current positions that demonstrate an ability to see things from my perspective instead of merely claiming they once thought as I do, I take note and tremble.

I therefore wish to thank posters who are not only vocal in their criticism of the church, but also vocal in expressing contempt for church leaders and their motives. I probably couldn't have maintained my testimony so well without you. Not only that, but you manage to chase out other faithful Latter-Day Saints from the real danger around here: polite and or reasonable critics.

Just thought you should know.

I was originally going to name some names of the dangerous critics, but I suspect you (and others) know who you are. I also run the danger of not offending some by leaving them off the list.

I fear that should I ever apostatize, I too will become a dangerous critic. May that day never come. I hope instead to become the opposite. I wish to be a "dangerous" believer--one critics could look at and see themselves coming into the fold and believing as I do.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Re: Dangerous critics and safe critics at MDB

Post by _Scottie »

You're welcome! :)
If there's one thing I've learned from this board, it's that consensual sex with multiple partners is okay unless God commands it. - Abman

I find this place to be hostile toward all brands of stupidity. That's why I like it. - Some Schmo
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Being a danger to no one but myself, I just want to say that I find your post refreshing and well stated.

:-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

My pleasure.

One thing is for certain; I would never talk the way I do here if I were trying to persuade anyone of anything. I'm in the business of expression, not persuasion.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Some Schmo wrote:My pleasure.

One thing is for certain; I would never talk the way I do here if I were trying to persuade anyone of anything. I'm in the business of expression, not persuasion.

Ditto!
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_thews
_Emeritus

Post by _thews »

asbestosman wrote:I therefore wish to thank posters who are not only vocal in their criticism of the church, but also vocal in expressing contempt for church leaders and their motives. I probably couldn't have maintained my testimony so well without you.

Good for you. You can go home and wash your vajaja now. What the hell is this tripe supposed to mean? Your self-induced ignorance is somehow strengthened by the truth that what you subscribe to is a load of hooey? Do you actually believe in magical rocks and secret handshakes? Is your holy underwear really keeping you protected... or is it keeping you ignorant. You can't even answer simple questions without 10 other points of contention being juggled simultaneously to make your manufactured argument seem like it actually could make sense if all the balls stayed up in the air. You aren't being honest and this faith promoting moment before you flee to the safe haven of deception to appease your cognitive dissonance should stand as the foundation for your testimony to the lies that Joe Smith created. Good for you teacher to itching ears. Good for you in keeping the lies of a false prophet who married other men's wives and little 14 and 15 year old girls alive with your brainwash deluge. Drink your koolaid and memorize your stupid handshakes. Drink some more and peep in your occult stones. Consult some book of the dead doctrine in your attempt to make this fairly tale actually true when you know it's a lie. How can anyone be gullible enough to actually believe people like you... you are so full of denial you reek out loud. Are the :highfives: you get from this thread gonna help you keep the monsters away? It's either true or it's false, and Mormonism is a myth. How proudly you brag about how far your head is inserted in denial. Watch the shadows on the wall... or you might see something shiny and it could break your belief in a lie… a myth …from a necromancer with an occult magical rock. Do you believe in magic rocks… only $14 a month.
2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.
2 Tim 4:4 They will turn their ears away from the truth & turn aside to myths
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

thews
Good for you. You can go home and wash your vajaja now.

I'd like some clarification on the above comment. What did you mean by that?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_thews
_Emeritus

Post by _thews »

Jersey Girl wrote:thews
Good for you. You can go home and wash your vajaja now.

I'd like some clarification on the above comment. What did you mean by that?

um... I was pissed off. Sorry, as I was outa line with that one.
2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.
2 Tim 4:4 They will turn their ears away from the truth & turn aside to myths
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Some Schmo wrote:My pleasure.

I see myself as a sort of the alter-ego of Schmo. It's a fun gig, and I enjoy it. I just wonder how much I could actually help the chuch if I were more like the dangerous critics.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Droopy
_Emeritus

Post by _Droopy »

asbestosman wrote:For me, the critics I fear most are those I think are most reasonable. Those who see and acknowledge good in the church and its leaders are the most fearsome critics of all--more fearsome than those who once defended the church and later fell away. they are frightening because they make me question to what degree evil clouds their minds and their judgments. When they express current positions that demonstrate an ability to see things from my perspective instead of merely claiming they once thought as I do, I take note and tremble.

I therefore wish to thank posters who are not only vocal in their criticism of the church, but also vocal in expressing contempt for church leaders and their motives. I probably couldn't have maintained my testimony so well without you. Not only that, but you manage to chase out other faithful Latter-Day Saints from the real danger around here: polite and or reasonable critics.

I agree without reservation. I have long maintained, and have mentioned in private messeges to other apologists, that the present danger to the Church's missionary efforts and to those of weaker faith in the Church, are not, and have not been for sometime, the populist rantings of EV fundamentalists or the clearly mendaciously lurid concoctions of an Ed Decker.

The real challenge the Church faces at present are those such as Brent Metcalf, Anthony Hutchinson, D. Michael Quinn, Chris Smith, Loyd Ericson, and many others who revolve within the actually educated, erudite and articulate orbit of Signature Books, Sunstone and Dialogue.

Its the "September Six", not the SBC, that is now our primary challenge.
Last edited by Guest on Wed May 19, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is going to startle us more when we pass through the veil to the other side than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven] and how familiar his face is to us

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell